Last Updated on May 8, 2021
An electric can opener easily opens canned food caps and can be particularly useful for the elderly or those with arthritic hands. It’s quick, safe and less messy and some models are so small and compact that they will fit easily into your kitchen drawers.
This best electric can opener review helps you choose the best one for your kitchen needs.
Best Electric Can Openers On The UK Market Reviewed In 2021
The best electric can opener is the Electric Can & Bottle Opener By Kenwood. We gave our first choice a 5/5 star rating. Check the price and more information about our winner on the Amazon website link below.
The best electric can opener is amazing. Almost similar to the Morphy Richards multifunctional can opener is the Kenwood CO606. In our estimation, this device qualifies for the second position of best electric can openers. This device boasts a traditional bottles opener and a knife sharpener alongside the tin opener.
What is more, the Kenwood CO606 is an electric tin opener which means that virtually everything will be carried out by the machine including holding the tin. The convenience that this can opener gives you makes it the second-best. Despite having only three functions, the Kenwood can and bottle opener is pretty competitive in terms of how it helps to open cans and get the job done in the kitchen.
There are several best electric can openers that fit the multifunctional category but the Kenwood can opener and bottle opener is just above them all. For starters, it has a great appearance of stainless steel and durable plastic. Secondly, a good number of users that have interacted with this can opener have not raised a single complaint about its ease of use.
You simply need to place the tin underneath the can and bottle opener and press the button/lever. That’s all. The rest will be done by the can and bottle opener machine. It cuts tins so well you won’t have to worry about having the food in the tin contaminated by this tool.
As far as safety is concerned, the Kenwood electric can opener has the design to make evenly cut tins that do not represent a risk when you hold them in your hands. Most of the electric can openers fail to put the aspect of safety into consideration. It feature an automatic start and stop – the blade starts cutting cans with a light push of the button/lever.
This is not the case with the Kenwood CO606 tin and bottle opener. The non-slip base feet make sure the tin opener remains steady and firm on the tall counter when you are using it, so you don’t make a real mess. It is also quite durable as long as you put it to the right use every time.
- This device is a great space saver because it is compact and multifunctional, but it has the right dimensions to provide stability
- Automatic start/stop – the blade starts cutting with a light push of the lever/button
- This can and bottle opener features no mess operation that everyone likes
- Does not require high-level technical knowhow to use: Easy to use
- Anyone can use it for more tasks other than opening metal cans: Multifunctional
- These electric can openers are durable
- Comes with a manufacturer warranty
- This device is appealing and blends easily with the rest of your kitchen countertop appliances
- It can be noisy and bothersome when you are using it to sharpen knives
- Can be challenging to open a bit larger tins of 5 inches and above
Second place goes to the Automatic 3 In 1 Can Opener By Kenwood. We gave one of the best electric can openers a 5/5 star rating. Check the price and details on the Amazon site link below.
This is the Kenwood CO606 electric can opener. It is a great multi-purpose kitchen appliance which not only opens tins but can also be used as a knife sharpener and a bottle opener. It features an automatic start/stop – the blade starts cutting with a light push of the lever. It also sports non-slip feet to ensure that it is steady and reliable when opening the metal cans.
One of the other great aspects of this popular model is that cleaning it is extremely easy. The unit can be taken apart for a quick wipe and easily put back together again. However, these units are have mains only operation.
- These mains only electric can openers and knife sharpeners feature amazing price and they are a great choice
- Multiple Functions for opening all types of cans and bottles as well as sharpening knives
- Automatic start/stop – the blade starts cutting with a light push of the lever
- It has a lot of customers recommendations because of the guarantee it comes with
- These electric can openers enable effortless handling
- These electric can openers are only mains operated
Third place goes to the Multifunction Black Tin Can Opener By Morphy Richards company. We gave our third choice a 4.5/5 star rating. Check the price and details on the Amazon page link below.
Of all the electric can opener reviews, the Morphy Richards 46718 comes out top. It is a sleek can opener that comes equipped with 6 other functions that include a jar opener and multi-opening tool for bottle tops, lids, ring pulls and plastic packaging.
It is considered the best electric can opener in the multifunctional lid openers’ category because apart from having a sleek and stylish design, the Morphy Richards 46718 is also quite easy to use and clean. This is because all of its parts are dishwasher safe and the black body can be cleaned easily by simply wiping it with a damp cloth.
You are going to have an easy time opening things in the kitchen as the Morphy Richards 46718 is particularly favourable for those with dexterity issues or hand arthritis. The can opener in the Morphy Richards 46718 is automatic, which means all you need to do is place the tin below the cutting unit and push down the lever.
You do not have to hold the tin while it’s opening as the Morphy Richards 46718 will do the holding as well as the cutting task. If you have been opening jars before, then you probably are familiar with the frustration that comes with the struggle with a slippery lid. The Morphy Richards 46718 makes opening jars so easy you won’t believe it.
Some metal cans are just tricky to open. Well, not anymore. The Morphy Richards 46718 comes with a multi-opening tool that features a ring pull tin opener, which makes opening cans less tricky. This product also works well on bottle tops since the multi-opening tool is equipped with a twist-off and pop-off bottle cap opener which can also work as a bottle opener.
The other thing that makes the this home appliance an undisputed best electric tin opener is the fact that it is also perfect with plastic packaging. The multi-opening tool is able to cut through tough plastic wrapping thus enabling you to avoid the risk involved in using scissors to cut plastic packaging.
READ NEXT: Top rated halogen oven reviews
- The multifunctional feature means that anyone can use it for several tasks and all sizes of cans
- Features top quality and good size blade for effortless cutting of cans the best possible way
- It has great size, and is easy to use and clean since it has dishwasher safe components
- These electric can openers have non-slip feet as a safety feature
- These electric can openers have no downsides
Fourth place goes to the Can Opener And Knife Sharpener By Kenwood. We gave one of the best electric can openers a 4.5/5 star rating. Check the price and details on the Amazon website link below.
Being made by the popular brand name – the Kenwood 3-in-1 Can opener and knife sharpener is one of the easiest multifunctional electric can openers on the market these days. This product comes with three integrated functionalities which include bottle opening, can opening and knife sharpening.
The three are very common and frequent kitchen activities in most households and they could consume a great deal of time if they were to be carried out manually. The 3-in-1 appliance makes it easy for you by automating the entire process of tin opening and knife sharpening. This product comes with great safety and convenience features that anyone can ever desire in a can opener.
For starters, the lid holder comprises an inbuilt magnet which means that you do not have to worry about the lid falling into the can after it cuts it. In addition, the Kenwood 3-in-1 tool boasts an easy to clean chrome finish body that is sleek and appealing. The ease of use associated with this tool is just amazing.
To get it ready for work, all you need to do is position the tin beneath the guide pin and lightly press the lever. The self-starting blade will begin to cut the lid off the tin immediately. Once it is done, the blade will automatically stop allowing you to retrieve the opened can as the lid remains attached to the lid holder.
This nice knife sharpener tool comes in quite handy for those who are pressed for time and find it difficult working with a standard handheld opener. This product is extremely safe to use since the feet are non-slip and stable while on the worktop. The fact that the Kenwood 3-in-1 can opener is a multifunctional tool means that you can use it to economize on space usage in the kitchen.
This is because you don’t need buy a can opener, a bottle opener, and a knife sharpener separately. Also, maintaining it is very easy because you can remove the blades to make cleaning extra easy. Final verdict, these items are very good at opening your meal in a can.
- It is safe to use since the feet are non-slip and free from accidental slips. It is heavy enough to not tip over during usage
- Automatic start/stop – the blade starts cutting with a light push of the lever without spilling the goods on the surface
- This can cutter is multifunctional allowing you to achieve many objectives with a single tool when you press the button
- This can opener and knife sharpener is easy to clean and maintain thanks to its design and size
- This best electric can opener and knife sharpener features a magnet to stop lid from falling when opening cans
- These electric can openers can be used on a variety of can types with any shape and size
- Could be noisy when using the knife sharpener and can opener
- Placing the tin under the guide pin takes some getting used to
Fifth place goes to the Battery Operated Can Magic By Coopers Of Stortford. We gave our pick number five a 4.5/5 star rating. Check the price and details on the Amazon link below.
There are lots of tasks in the kitchen that require the use of a lid opener and if you don’t have access to an electric or automatic can opener, the chances are that you will hurt your wrists. The strong electric machine is equipped with the technology that takes away the hard work from can opening tasks.
With a single press of a button, this tool will do everything and spare you the frustration that is associated with manual can opening. This product is cleverly designed to make your work very simple while at the same time saving you the time.
When it comes to safety, this popular model is quite safe to use. The lid holder is equipped with an inbuilt magnet that serves to hold the lid once it has been cut from the tin. Also, during the can opening process, the tool does not get into contact with the food.
This means that your canned food is safe from all types of contaminants that might be present in the can opener. This tool does not leave behind a ragged edge once the lid has been cut off from the tin. This makes it one of the best electric can openers you can rely on for busy kitchen activities.
Many people that have used this hand held tool have left a fair share of both positive and negative reviews. Admittedly, quite the majority of the reviews are positive, which means that this tool can be dependable.
The negative ones on the other hand only point to the usual weaknesses you’d expect from an economy-grade can opener. For instance, it is not so durable, which is common since the cost of this model is quite low.
- This popular lid opener model has a pocket-friendly price
- Easy to clean thanks to the design and size enabling you to do the chore easily by pushing buttons
- Features good size of the blade for cutting cans in the best possible way
- This lid opener is easy to use for any opening service
- Features a built-in magnet that serves to hold the lid once it has been cut.
- This electric can opener is suitable for most sizes of cans
- This tool is quite safe to use since it does not leave behind a ragged edge
- This hand held opener will not work on certain cans especially those that have a bit peculiar shape or size
Sixth place on this list goes to the Electric Kitchen Can Opener By Bangrui. We gave it a 4/5 star rating. Check the price and details on the Amazon links below.
The market is filled with electric can openers but none of them compares to the Bangrui automatic can opener. This kitchen tool is an essential must-have for your kitchen gear if you constantly purchase canned foods. Its design allows you to conveniently store away leftover food in your cans.
This is because the Bangrui automatic can opener cuts the lid away in a perfect way that leaves behind a smooth edge that is not ragged and dangerously sharp. You can also rest assured in the knowledge that this model will require a very small amount of your manual efforts to open cans. This automatic can opener features a sharp blade that is safely recessed within the unit.
It is one of the easiest electric can openers you can use because it does not require you to have any technical knowledge whatsoever. The only thing you are supposed to do to get it to work is to mount it on the tin and press the button to turn it on. It will then rotate around the can smoothly cutting off the lid.
After that, this model will magnetize the lid with the built-in magnet so that it is easy to lift. The Bangrui auto can opener uses four AA batteries that are inserted into the battery compartment. Those of you that have been struggling with manual can openers would understand the essence of an automatic electric can opener.
According to most tin opener reviews, this model is actually the holy grail of can openers. This is because it is equipped with great features and functions that make can opening seem like such a simple task to accomplish.
Although the batteries are not included in the package, it is worth noting that they are easily accessible from any convenient shop. The battery compartment is appropriately polarized with positive and negative markings to make it easy for you to fix the batteries. However, you cannot place and open a lid of peculiar size with these tools.
- It is safe to use since the Bangrui can opener ensures that there are no sharp edges
- This automatic can opener features a sharp blade and quality magnets that are safely recessed within the unit
- Anyone can use these top quality products to handle tins of many different sizes
- This lid opener is fast and simple to use for opening cans the best possible way
- It is a clean kitchen gadget that is made from top quality plastic material thus making it durable
- This lid opener is packaged in a small size gift box
- These top products use batteries, no need for a cord storage
- It cannot open cans that have peculiar shape or size
- The batteries are not included in the packaging when you buy it from Amazon
Seventh place goes to the Hands-Free 3 In 1 Can Opener By Swan. We gave it a 4/5 star rating. Check the price and details on the Amazon links below.
This is a fine and elegant 3-in-1 electric can opener that also features a bottle opener and a bottle opener that makes can-opening struggles a thing of the past. Manufactured by Swan, the SP20110N is a superb electric can opener and knife sharpener that comes with amazing features which make it extremely easy to open cans.
With the integration of a bottle opener and a knife sharpener in one gadget, the SP20110N enables you to spare a lot of space in your kitchen. This product also features a hands free operation that involves very little of your effort thus making it both convenient and suitable for many people with RSI and arthritis disabilities, as well as limited hand mobility.
You are definitely going to love the fully automatic tin opener that features an inbuilt magnet which eases the process of disposing of the tin. Since it is automatic, the SP20110N allows you to attend to other tasks while cooking. What is more, the knife sharpener is quite effective and automatic as well.
Therefore, you are going to spend very little energy and no pain sharpening your knife with the same tool that opens tins for you. As far as several can opener reviews are concerned, the SP20110N is a lot easier to use than most of the tin openers in its category.
The magnetic tin lid holder on the SP20110N is built-in and handy as a safety feature which ensures safe disposal of the lids. Buy the Swan SP20110N with quality levers today and make tin opening struggles a thing of the past. This is because other than making the process an easy walk in the pack, the SP20110N also helps you to save a lot of time in the kitchen.
It is also worth noting that this can opener is reasonably priced, durable and has a stylish design. This means that you do not have to worry about it not blending in with the rest of your kitchen housewares. However, getting the lid in the right place takes time with these products.
- It is multifunctional allowing you to sharpen knives and open cans and bottle at all times
- This electric can opener and knife sharpener features hands free operation, one touch operation and the edge and rim of the jars is soft after cutting
- It features a sleek blade design that makes it easy to blend with your room and kitchen décor
- The multifunctional design and size of this lid opener and knife sharpener is a great advantage
- The magnetic lid holder means that it is safe to dispose of the lids
- These top products work on a push of a button/lever and feature great blade and good magnet size anyone can use
- This electric can opener and knife sharpener does not last long to open enough cans and give you the value of your money
- Placement – getting the cans in the right place takes some getting used to.
Eighth place goes to the One Button Can Opener By Bangrui. We gave one of the best electric can openers a 4/5 star rating. Check the price and details on the Amazon links below.
The Bangrui smooth soft can opener is one of the best electric can openers in the market as far as hands free operation is concerned. Its design eliminates the need for you to use too much effort hence making it suitable for the disabled as well as people with RSI issues and arthritis.
You are able to use these tools to open all sorts of cans as long as they are round in shape and not a bit too large. Most of the cans on the Amazon market fit this category. Therefore, you are going to find this can opener very useful. Make sure to follow all the instructions documented in the user manual to avoid any accidents and inconveniences whatsoever.
If you are fond of can openers that have a certain finish, design, and colour, Bangrui has got your back. The smooth soft edge tin opener from Bangrui come in three different colour variants which include the red one, the green and purple one.
Therefore, select one that best suits your colour preferences. Operating this product should not give you any trouble because it is a one-button, auto operation. All you must do is mount the can opener on the tin and press one button.
The rest of the functions will be done automatically and this product will switch off immediately after cutting around the lid. To make it even safer, the Bangrui can opener features a magnetic lid holder that helps to hold the can in position once it has been cut from the tin.
The edges are also quite smooth and non-ragged which means you are not exposed to the risk of cuts at all. Also, you can easily store away your leftover canned food since you can reseal the lid. The Bangrui soft edge can opener is powered by 4 AA batteries, although they are not included in the package. It makes no mess on your working space, and that’s why everyone likes it.
When it comes to design, this tin opener has a top quality ergonomic design to fit into your hands comfortably. It is also made from a plastic material so that it is not too heavy. In conclusion, using this device is a great way to avoid fingers injury, damage or tipping and spilling ingredients.
- It is easy to use for opening all sizes of cans and suitable for many people with disabilities, RSI issues and arthritis
- It is one of the safest can openers to use since it includes an inbuilt magnet function for holding the lid in place
- Use these tools to open cans and cut lids of various sizes
- These top products work on a push of a button/lever, feature one touch operation
- It is reliable and efficient in opening cans thus giving you the required services for a prolonged period
- It does not add the batteries in the shipment
- It is limited – you cannot use it for cans of tomatoes, vegetables, beans or soup with a bit peculiar shapes or size
Ninth place goes to the Hands-Free Tin Can Opener By Jml. We gave it a 4/5 star rating in our article. Check the price and details on the Amazon links below.
This is one of the most efficient and best-priced can openers on the market yet it comes with all the necessary features that you would expect from a tin opener. If you are one of those people that enjoy working on multiple tasks at the same time, then the JML Hands Free can opener is what you need by your side.
It is a top quality automatic and battery power electric can opener that has the design to make your kitchen activities as effortless as possible. You no longer have to worry about hurting yourself with the dangerous jagged sharp edges of an opened tin. This is because the JML Hands-Free leaves the can’s side edges as smooth as possible.
The design of the JML Hands Free one touch can opener has the average user in mind. This is why it is usable even with a disabled person or one who’s struggling with arthritis or RSI issues. The ergonomic design of the JML Hands-Free operation can opener makes it very easy to work with.
You are going to have an easy time cleaning this one touch product because the only thing you need to do to get it cleaned is to wipe it with a damp cloth. The small form factor of this can opener makes it easy to store away after use.
If the several user reviews are anything to go by, I’d say the JML Hands-Free one touch can opener is one of the best electric can openers on the market. It requires 4 AA batteries to work. These AA batteries are not included in the package but you can find them at any convenient store near you.
It is a lightweight one touch can opener that measures around 10 grams. The in-built magnet on the lid holder means you do not have to worry about the lid dropping into the can after opening.
- It features one touch operation to remove lids easily which is nothing but great
- Even people with arthritis or RSI issues can use it with a push of a button/lever.
- Features hands free operation and non sharp side edge of the jars after cutting. A range of kitchens need this device.
- In our opinion, the price is very pocket-friendly and it runs on AA batteries
- Light weight and plenty of features that might surprise you
- These one touch opener tools are portable and eliminate the problem of spilling contents while opening cans
- These products are easy to use, even easier than others.
- The magnet on these devices is not very effective although this does not greatly affect the effectiveness of the can opener
Tenth place goes to the One Touch White Automatic Can Opener By Culinare. We gave the 10th best electric can opener a 3.5/5 star rating. Check the price and details on the Amazon link below.
Last of our top 10 picks is a great piece of kitchen electronics. The Culinare One Touch Automatic Can Opener is one of the must-have kitchen tools for a modern cook who is characterized by multitasking and lots of simultaneous kitchen activities. It is equipped with a handy One Touch technology that greatly reduces the amount of effort you are expected to put in as the user.
On top of that, the Culinare One Touch Automatic Can Opener also increases the rate of opening for up to 50%, making it one of the fastest can openers in the market. If you are always involved in multiple tasks in the kitchen, this is the best tool to have around as it enables you to multitask.
One of the other interesting features of the Culinare One Touch Automatic Can Opener is the magnetic lid holder, which makes it substantially safe to use. This option makes it safe because you will not have to worry about the lid falling into the food after you have opened it.
According to most of the best tin openers reviews, the Culinare One Touch Automatic Can Opener is quite easy to use and this can be attributed to the fact this can opener is equipped with a magnetic lid holder and that it can operate automatically.
The Culinare One Touch Automatic Can Opener is a battery-operated can opener and most happy users like the fact that it uses only two AA batteries. Although the package does not come with these two batteries included, most users acknowledge that the cost is bearable and that it does not have a major impact on their finances.
When it comes to safety, the Culinare One Touch Automatic Can Opener is quite safe because the side edges of the cut tin are not dangerously sharp as is the case with most of the can openers on the market. The Culinare opener comes in two colour variants which include a black and white one.
- This Culinare can opener is easy to use since it opens with one touch of a button
- These top quality Culinare products run on batteries and are reasonably priced
- Edge of the tin it cuts is not sharp in order to provide safe cutting experience
- The Culinare OneTouch Automatic Can Opener is very easy to use compared to other kitchen appliances
- The small size makes Culinare One Touch can opener very compact and portable so you can keep it in a kitchen drawer or a cupboard
- Some of the users complain that the Culinare One Touch Automatic Can Opener does not fire for long enough when you press the button
- Batteries are not included.
Electric Can Openers Buying Guide
A cool box is a must-have for any outdoor adventure, especially during summer. It keeps the drinks cool, and of course for your sodas, you will need a can opener. The best thing about can openers is that they come with an inbuilt magnet that holds the lid. With no kitchen bin in the outdoors, you will not litter.
We will show you how to choose the best electric can opener for outdoor and indoor use.
The Benefits Of Owning An Electric Can Opener
An electric can opener is far more beneficial than a manual one for a variety of reasons. For starters, it is more efficient and requires very little energy and effort from the user.
If you own a personal hands-free electric can opener, which happens to be the most common in the market, you only need to use one hand because a huge part of the task is accomplished by the can opener. Other than being efficient, an electric can opener is safer than a regular one.
Here’s why. There are very low chances of a standard can opener to offer a smooth cut. The ragged edges that result from a manual can opener pose the risk of cutting your hand and causing other damaging accidents. This is never the case with most electric can openers because they are very precise and accurate.
The risk of contaminating the food is higher when using a manual can opener than it is when using an electric one. This is because an electric can opener comes with an inbuilt magnet that serves to hold the lid once it has been cut off from the tin.
The fact that an electric can opener results in a smooth cut means that you are a bit more likely to safely reseal the can and store away the leftover food. More often than not, a standard can opener will not allow you to handle multiple tasks at once.
This is because they take a longer time to get the job done. Electric can openers are powered by a motor which is 50% faster than the manual can opener. It is also worth noting that most electric can openers can help you achieve other functions such as sharpening knives.
Being an electric device, it is only right that you take the necessary precautions to prevent any accidents from happening. The first precautionary measure that you are supposed to take when using an electric can opener is to use it in accordance with the guidelines on the instruction manual.
Virtually every electric can opener comes with a user manual included in the packaging. Make sure you read and follow all the instructions. Secondly, do not attempt to use the electric can opener for tasks other than the intended ones. This will help you avoid any risks as well as enhance its durability.
The third precautionary measure is to ensure that you avoid direct contact with the edge once the can has been opened. Come of the can openers leave very ragged sharp edges and could even cut you if you are not very careful.
Factors To Consider When Buying An Electric Can Opener
When you decide to go searching for an electric can opener in the market, there are certain points that you are not supposed to overlook. The first factor you need to consider when buying an electric can opener is the ease of use.
An automatic can opener is supposed to make your work easier than it already is. As such, it should be easy to use. Ease of use ranges from the effort with which you can hold the can opener to the effort with which it gets the entire job done.
Getting a can opener that is not easy to use can be pointless since you will be forced to resort to manual methods, which are both difficult and time-consuming. The other factor that you need to consider is safety. A can opener should be extremely safe to use.
Safety has all to do with the ruggedness of the edges produced when the can opener is used. Some can openers produce ragged and dangerously sharp edges that make it difficult for you to handle the can and the lid. It is therefore important to consider this factor.
Lastly, a good electric can opener is one that doesn’t interfere with the food during the can opening process. Something that is good to know is that you need to buy an electric can opener that is equipped with an inbuilt magnet to hold the lid in place thus preventing it from falling into the tin once it has been cut off.
Electric Can Openers Buying FAQs
Q: Why should I buy an electric can opener and not a manual one?
A: An electric can opener is safer, bit more efficient and easier to use than a manual one. Our advice is to buy the electric one.
Q: How should I clean the electric can opener?
A: Most electric can openers are very easy to wipe because either their components are dishwasher safe or the body is cleanable by wiping with a damp cloth.
Q: Does a hands-free can opener mean that you won’t use your hands at all?
A: Hands-free can openers are the automatic ones which have a mechanism to hold the can in place while opening the tin.