Last Updated on September 1, 2021
Cooking is one of the most loving practices considering the amount of effort, time and dedication put into it. We often find ourselves cooking five-star meals for our family that end up entirely cold upon being served on the dinner table. To keep that in the past and add a terrific convenience to your cooking habits, you can opt for an electric food steamer that will steam vegetables, meat, fish, and keep food warm until you want to serve.
But what are the best food steamers (UK), and what do you need to know before buying one? Read below and find for yourself.
Volume Capacity: 9 Litres.
Power: 600 W.
Special Feature: Instant Steam.
Capacity: 9 Litres.
Power: 800 W.
Special Feature: LCD Display.
Volume Capacity: 9 Litres.
Power: 800 W.
Special Feature: Turbo Steam.
Volume Capacity: 6.3 Litres.
Power: Hob Operated.
Special Feature: Riveted Silicone Handles.
The Best Food Steamers Reviewed In 2021
The best food steamer in the market is Morphy Richards’ three-tier food steamer that can either be bought in black or white and silver. With a 9-litre capacity and three storage spaces for cooking different food, the best steam cooker will ensure that all the protein, vitamin and minerals will be served on the nice, hot plate. The ergonomic three-tier design warrants you to use the compartments for both cooking and storage, thus reducing unnecessary clutter.
Besides being the best steamer for food in terms of functionality, this Morphy Richards unit is also fantastic when it comes to maintenance. The steamer has a visible water tank that will not let you down while you’re cooking and a detachable drip tray that’s very easy to clean. The stainless steel steamer can also take cleaning to another level by letting you put the trays and lids straight into the dishwasher, so no more fishy-smelling vegetables ever again!
- It is Amazon’s Choice for the best food steamers for cooking (3-tier).
- It’s designed a stainless steel base and easy-fill handles.
- It allows you to top-up water without removing the trays.
- It has a one-hour timer with a signalling alarm.
- It has a 1.1-litre rice bowl.
- Its trays tend to stain from the cooked food.
- It’s prone to limescale build-up, especially in hard water areas.
Our second best choice for the best electric food steamer comes by AICOK, who presents the 800 W range of the three-tiered wonder. The combined effort of the powerful motor and ergonomic design ensure that this fantastic unit produces instant steam that evenly disperses through its three trays. This range of cooking steamers has a large capacity of 9 litres, so you can effortlessly finish your batch cooking and not have to worry about energy waste.
When it comes to temperature levels, we know how confusing it gets when you try to steam several food types at once. Luckily for us, AICOK has included some pre-programmed guides for cooking times that are taken care of the steamer’s 90-minute timer. In the case of time completion or an indication that the water level is below the required amount, the stainless steel steamer will instantly turn off so you can serve the food.
- Its smart timer allows you to see the cooking time continually.
- Its detachable parts are dishwasher-safe.
- It has an automatic shut-off feature.
- It comes with a handy rice bowl.
- Its timings are relatively longer than most steamers’.
- Some customers found its interface a little too complicated.
- It doesn’t have a cooking chart for timings.
All rise for Russell Hobbs! The great 22140 electric steamer operates by a motor power of 800 W that incorporates a turbo-steam design that lets you start cookin’ as soon as you plug the unit. The three-tier food steamer has a volume capacity of 9 litres for the trays and 1 litre for the rice bowl. No matter what you’re cooking, you can rest assured that Russell Hobbs will guarantee you get the best (and most delicious!) outcome of it all.
Besides the large volume of the trays, the 21140 electric steamer also has a whopping 1.3-litre water tank. This means that your cooking won’t be interrupted halfway in need of a refill, but you can always check the progress by observing its visible water level. And to ensure that the food steamer is as easy to use as can be, Russell Hobbs has settled with a manual timer instead of an electric one – so turn away and wait for the magic to happen!
- It comes with an extensive guide for cooking times.
- All its tray handles are marked with numbers for more comfortable use.
- It has a drip tray for collecting food waste.
- It’s designed with egg holders in its trays.
- Its operation can’t be stopped mid-way, so it needs to be plugged out.
- None of its parts are dishwasher-safe.
Differing slightly from the steamer food units we just presented, Tower’s three-tier model is arguably the best stainless steel food steamer in terms of durability. The large food compartments are coated with a sleek mirror finish, and heat-resistant silicone handles. The three-tier food steamer pans each have a sturdy glass lid that locks the delicious succulents in the trays whether you’re cooking meat, rice, fish or tasty vegetables.
Another thing that makes this steamers food unit one of the best is the stainless steel encapsulated base that distributes heat evenly throughout the three pans. That way, Tower assures you that whatever the contents of the top tier, they will get the same first-rate treatment that the glass steamer has to offer. And you won’t have to worry about compatibility with hob types, as the food steamer can handle electric, gas, ceramic, halogen and even induction.
- It’s Amazon’s Choice for steamer cooking.
- It comes with a one-year manufacturers warranty by Tower.
- It has a tempered glass lid with a steam output.
- It is dishwasher-safe for temperatures up to 200°C.
- Its water drain spout is somewhat hard to use.
- It has relatively small handles.
Another three-tier pan design is brought to us by Morphy Richards in the form of an 18 cm box of wonders that can either be operated as a meat, fish, egg or vegetable steamer. The unit itself is constructed with a high-grade stainless steel body that complements its glass lid beautifully while giving the pans a safe and durable hold. Moreover, the glass steamer combines convenient stay-cool handles that for added safety.
As for their base, the three-tier steamers integrate an aluminium encapsulated thermic core that ensures the heat is dispersed evenly from the hob to the top pan. To make cooking as easy as possible, the manufacturers have designed the pan’s interior with handy measuring marks that indicate the required water capacity for each food type. After you’re done with the cooking, you can leave the food inside the pans, and they will keep it warm for you.
- It comes with a one-year warranty by Morphy Richards.
- All its pans are dishwasher-safe.
- It has a relatively large cooking capacity.
- It’s fit for all hob types, including gas, electric, halogen, ceramic, and induction.
- Some customers reported that they received faulty pans with handles prone to melting.
- Its bottom pan is prone to leakage.
If we go back to power-operated food steamers, we can’t help but include the RH food collection model that is pretty sophisticated as opposed to its competitors. This range of food steamers functions with a motor of 400 W, which means that it spends little to no energy on its operation. With 7 litres to fill and three trays to cook in, the unit will not only steam food to perfection but also maintain the taste thanks to the integrated keep warm feature it has.
The high-grade food steamer is built with a stainless steel coating that makes for easy maintenance and high reliability. As for its functions, the food steamer is pre-programmed with an easy-to-use manual rotation knob that adjusts the time required to cook each meal. This timer function gives you a one-hour leeway for you to finish with housework and get back to your wonderfully-tasting fish and rice, all ready to be served.
- It has an energy rating of A+++.
- It comes with an additional rice bowl for convenience.
- It is compact-sized, so it will fit neatly in your kitchen.
- It has an automatic turn-off feature.
- Its has flimsy steamer trays.
- It doesn’t have the best steam output.
With variability in minds and dedication in hearts, KitchenCraft brings us the Pan & Stock range of hob-friendly food steamers that make for an excellent addition in any home. There are four dimensions to choose from, including the 16 cm, 18 cm, 20 cm and the 22 cm, all waiting for their next home. Thanks to its encapsulated base and riveted handles, the KitchenCraft food steamer will certainly accompany your cooking for a long time after purchase.
Because of its well-thought design and high-quality construction, you can either utilise the food steamer in a tiered fashion or use its main container as you would a stockpot. The food steamer is manufactured with a toughened glass lid that not only serves a ‘keep warm’ function but also provides a safe steam output. And lucky for us, you can also put the steamer’s components in the dishwasher one after the other because they are all dishwasher-safe.
- It comes with a ten-year warranty by KitchenCraft.
- It’s compatible with all hob types, including induction.
- It comes in a beautiful gift-box package.
- It has a large 3.5 litre capacity for the main pot.
- It is very durable.
- It is prone to limescale build-up.
- Some customers reported that their pots started to scale after some use.
Next in line is Salter’s Healthy Cooking range of food steamers that’s very efficient and easy to use. Its stainless steel body and hard-plastic trays make for a kitchen tool that’s hard to ignore. Even though the steamer itself is more on the compact-size range, its compartments can hold about 7.5 litres of food which is just enough for most medium-sized families. All the trays are detachable and function perfectly well on their own, which is another great plus.
The food steamer has an integrated water tank that will cooperate with the unit’s pre-set timer and deliver tasty veggies in record speeds. The food steamer also hosts a helpful one-hour timer, so the device itself can be used for slow cooking purposes too. And the cherry on top? The included rice bowl that will give your steamed chicken dish a delicious addition like no other.
- Good value for money.
- It comes with a three-year warranty by Salter.
- It is Amazon’s choice for the best vegetable steamer.
- It has a programmed keep warm feature.
- It has a small water tank.
- It doesn’t have an auto shut-off feature.
This stainless steel model employs a three-tier build that uses hob heat to steam vegetables, chicken, pork, fish, eggs and much more. The food steamer set includes two steaming trays and a casserole pot with a lid. All compartments are designed with a 0.4 mm construction thickness, so heat is produced rapidly and locked in for longer.
The easy to use steamers measure at 22 cm each, so there’s a lot of manoeuvring for you to perform in the kitchen. On top of the main pot, there is a G-type glass lid that is tempered to ensure that all of the nutritients are kept inside the pot until you’re at the dinner table. And due to its belly shape and wide roll edge, the food steamer can also be used to make casserole, stews, brews and even pudding.
- It’s compatible with gas, electric and solid hob types.
- It has a 1 mm aluminium bottom for better heat dispersion.
- All of its parts are dishwasher safe.
- It has a mirrored polish both inside and outside.
- Its handles are prone to overheating.
- Some customers reported rusting with their pots.
Aigostar has styled the Fitfoodie range of electric steamers by focusing on high-performance steaming on a user-friendly interface. And so it is because the 800 W food steamer can generate steam in less than 15 seconds, which is not only efficient but also healthy on the food being steamed. The entirety of the food steamer is made of food-grade materials, so you won’t have to worry about rust, corrosion, decay or anything of the sort.
As with the best food steamers, the Fitfoodie is built with an easy interface by having user-friendliness in mind. On either side of the unit, you have a waterline filler and indicator that aids you with the cooking process. The steamer trays have a large capacity of 9 litres, a one-hour timer and an automatic shut-off feature to make your life easy, your house safe and your bills low.
- It comes with a two-year warranty by Aigostar.
- It has an overheat protection feature.
- It comes with dishwasher-safe parts.
- It comes with a drip-tray for accumulating waste.
- Its bases cannot be removed from one another.
- Several customers reported issues with limescale build-up.
Food Steamer Buying Guide
Food steamers are one of the cheapest methods of investing in a long-term solution for healthy eating. Because they usually come in multiple-tiered designs, they’re very favourable with batch cooking as well. All this and more can be done by wasting as little energy as possible, so the cost-effectiveness of the product is maintained throughout. There’s not much you can go wrong with buying a food steamer, but here’s what you need to keep in mind.
- Electric steamers work by using its integrated motor that heats the base plate and steams upwards the unit’s trays. They are the best choice for those looking for practicality, efficiency and ease of use.
- Hob steamers use a more conventional approach that functions by generating heat from stovetops and hobs. As long as they have an aluminium encapsulated base, they can be fit for any hob type. They are best suited for those less preoccupied with fancy features and more interested in n traditional cooking means.
- Capacity refers to the amount of food within a tiered steamer that is measured in litres. Capacity isn’t limited to the number of vegetables, meats or seafood inserted in the steamer trays, but rather, its full potential that also includes water intake and broth. Anything over 7 litres is sufficient for medium to large families.
- Timer functions are one of the most looked-for features in a steamer because they control the unit and notify you when the steaming is complete, so you can do other chores and not hover on the device.
- Auto shut-off entails that your food steamer will instantly turn itself off after it has finished the cooking process. This feature is mostly triggered when the unit’s water intake goes to zero, as to prevent any safety risks and damage to the device.
Q: What foods are suitable for steaming?
A: Food steamers are mainly used for steaming vegetables, chicken, pork and seafood, but they can also be utilised for preparing stews, cooking rice or even making pudding.
Q: Is an electric steamer healthy?
A: Yes, in fact, steaming foods is considered to be one of the best cooking methods because it doesn’t use excessive oils or fats, it keeps the nutritients of the food locked in for longer, and it delivers overall tastier meals.
Q: Can a food steamer cook rice?
A: Yes, most food steaming models include a rice bowl or tray that is specially made for preparing rice. However, it would be best if you never attempted to cook rice in the steamer’s main compartments because you can damage the device.
Related Articles You May Be Interested In