Last Updated on April 17, 2022
Freesat is one of the best broadcasting platforms in the UK. You can spoil yourself with dozens of entertaining channels and also get great reception in areas where there is normally a poor signal. Let’s have a look at the top Freesat boxes that will make your viewing time even better!
Product Testing & Comparing
The right Freesat box can give you premium entertainment for free. But not all products are created equally and to prevent our readers from settling or less, our review team had a look at the best Freesat boxes. We used strict guidelines to ensure that only quality and versatile products made our list. For your convenience, we also ranked them from the very best (Nr 1) to the last of the best (because they are all so good!)
To make selection easier for you, we also highlighted the following information for each product and you can find these quick info snippets at the start of each Freesat box our team tested.
- Connections & Compatibility
- Ease of Use & Setup
Now that’s enough of what we want – let’s see what’s best for you, shall we?
Read Next: How to fix a Freesat on demand not working.
Compare our top 3 picks below, or scroll past to see the detailed analysis of all 10 products.
Scroll left to view more products:
TV Tech (Lite v3) Freesat Receiver
HUMAX HD TV Freesat Receiver
Manhattan T3-R Freeview Play 4K Smart Recorder
|PRICE||£34.99 on Amazon|
|£119.95 on Amazon|
|£197.78 on Amazon|
|PROS||The USB slot allows you to connect an external hard drive to stream your media.||Compatible with SKY+ or SKY HD receivers||The device is instantly ready to start while maintaining ultra-low power consumption.|
|CONS||The Freesat channels must be manually scanned.||No internal hard drive for recording.||Doesn’t allow external apps such as Netflix or other pay-TV services.|
|BOTTOM LINE||The compact size and user-friendly controls earned it the top spot.||This thing is highly adaptable and easy to set up – what more could you want?||This is the best Freesat recorder available today.|
|RATING CATEGORIES||TV Tech (Lite v3) Freesat Receiver||HUMAX HD TV Freesat Receiver||Manhattan T3-R Freeview Play 4K Smart Recorder|
|COMPATIBILITY & CONNECTION (30%)|
|EASE OF USE & SETUP (40%)|
|PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS||TV Tech (Lite v3) Freesat Receiver||HUMAX HD TV Freesat Receiver||Manhattan T3-R Freeview Play 4K Smart Recorder|
|SIZE||10 x 10 x 10 cm.||16.8 x 20.6 x 4.2 cm.||40.1 x 24.5 x 8.4 cm.|
|CONNECTIONS||USB, HDMI.||HDMI, Ethernet.||USB, Ethernet.|
|CHANNELS||Can receive UK, Polish, German, Italian, Spanish channels.||Over 150 channels TV and radio.||Freeview and on demand channels.|
|VIEW PRODUCTS||View on Amazon||View on Amazon||View on Amazon|
The Best Freesat Boxes Reviewed In 2022
The Best Freesat Box
- Size: 10 x 10 x 10 cm.
- Connections: USB, HDMI.
- Channels: Can receive UK, Polish, German, Italian, Spanish channels.
The compact size and user-friendly controls earned it the top spot.
Let’s run a quick overview of the highlights of this box!
You can use it to receive free air channels in both standard and high picture quality. Incredibly, the device is pre-programmed to obtain about 6000 different radio and TV channels. In other words, no matter their taste, the entire family will be satisfied.
The receiver can pick up signals from the UK, Poland, Germany, Italy or Spain. Moreover, users can pause and record live TV, as well as use the device as a personal media player for Xvids and Avis. Furthermore, the built-in WI-FI adapter allows you to browse through the internet and search for alternative entertainment.
- The USB slot allows you to connect an external hard drive to stream your media.
- An eye extender cable gives you enough mobility to place the box wherever you want.
- Rights reserved for streaming Freesat and Saorsat.
- Universal remote control (and batteries).
- Quick setup and installation.
- The Freesat channels must be manually scanned.
The Best Freesat Box With WiFi
- Size: 16.8 x 20.6 x 4.2 cm.
- Connections: HDMI, Ethernet.
- Channels: Over 150 channels TV and radio.
This thing is highly adaptable and easy to set up – what more could you want?
What do you get when you blend a Freesat box and Wifi? Too much entertainment (but who’s complaining?). Corny jokes aside, this box was chosen as the best WiFi-friendly choice.
The integrated WI-FI adapter or ethernet port provides you with the means to connect to the internet and enjoy online channels, platforms or websites such as BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, Demand 5, Youtube or Netflix. But what else does this Freesat box offer?
Ideal for houses that contain a satellite dish, this receiver can obtain up to 200 TV and radio channels (13 of which are HD resolution). You can also use a roll-back feature to view TV shows you’ve missed in the last 7 days or plan future viewing (using the Now & Next feature) with the mere click of a button.
- The showcase feature daily updates of editorially selected programmes for that day, later in the week or on-demand.
- Compatible with SKY+ or SKY HD receivers.
- Compact size and easy to install.
- Parental control.
- No internal hard drive for recording.
- The full HD channels are only accessible with a satellite dish.
The Best Freesat Box With Recording
- Size: 40.1 x 24.5 x 8.4 cm.
- Connections: USB, Ethernet.
- Channels: Freeview and on demand channels.
This is the best Freesat recorder available today.
A lot of Freesat boxes can record shows. Why did this one get the crown of the best recorder? Well, most boxes have a great ability to record 300 hours but this device can record as much as 600 hours of TV shows, movies, and programmes.
You can also enjoy 85 Freeview channels along with on-demand TV from BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, All 4, My5, UKTV Play and more. The recorder allows you to pause and rewind live TV, record two programmes at once as well as record an entire series with the simple click of a button.
Other great features include a built-in Wi-Fi and ethernet port, a quad-core CPU for exceptionally fast performance and HD and HDR picture quality.
- The device is instantly ready to start while maintaining ultra-low power consumption.
- You can search, watch and save programmes easily.
- Multi-purpose remote.
- You can watch programmes that originally aired as far back as a week.
- Doesn’t allow external apps such as Netflix or other pay-TV services.
- There are sometimes syncing issues between video and audio on recordings.
The Best 500GB Freeview Box
- Size: 40 x 24.5 x 8.2 cm.
- Connections: HDMI, USB, Ethernet.
- Channels: Freeview and on demand TV.
Did you love the previous Freesat box but really don’t want so many hours of recording time? No problem.
The brand also manufactured this box with all the frills and half the recording time (300 hours is still pretty amazing).
You can still look forward to a fantastic bundle of 85 Freeview channels and several on-demand channels as well. Similar to the larger recorder, this box also allows you to catch up on a show you missed as far back as a week ago. You can also pause, forward or rewind a live feed.
Other great benefits include the ability to record two programmes at once (or an entire series), and the box is also integrated with the Youtube and Youtube kids apps, so the whole family can enjoy their own viewing time.
- Integrated WI-FI and ethernet port.
- New features and services are updated automatically.
- The TV guide and other operations are swift and rarely lag.
- The remote control has big and clear buttons.
- The device doesn’t have a recording light.
- It doesn’t accommodate external apps such as Netflix or other pay-TV services.
The Best Freesat Box For A Satellite Dish
- Size: 20 x 28 x 4.8 cm.
- Connections: HDMI, Ethernet.
- Channels: Over 200 channels.
This box has a lot of perks without a satellite.
But in case you are wondering what improves when you pair it with a dish – you’ll get over 200 channels, catch-up TV features and Netflix.
Furthermore, the box has a 500GB hard drive capable of recording up to 300 hours of SD TV and 125 hours of HD TV. Yes, this box also has the popular ‘twin tuners’ feature that allows users to record two programmes at the same time (even while you are watching one of them).
You can also look forward to an integrated Wi-Fi adapter and ethernet port, so you’ll always be connected to the internet and ready to go.
- 300 hours of recording time.
- The device contains a Freesat app that lets you manage all your Freetime functions.
- Besides the Freesat HD box and its accessories, the package also contains an HDMI lead, an ethernet cable, 2 AAA batteries and a quick setup guide.
- The boot time can take a while.
The Best Freeview Box With Radio Stations
- Size: 20 x 26.5 x 4.8 cm.
- Connections: HDMI, Ethernet.
- Channels: 70 TV channels, 15 HD channels and 25+ radio stations.
If you are also besotted with radio time, then you’re in good company.
Despite all the visual entertainment today, countless people still enjoy the music and programmes that air over the waves. Well, get ready for tons of tunes because this Freesat box offers you over 25 radio stations.
You also get plenty of other treats including 70 TV channels and 15 HD channels. The device can also store up to 300 hours of entertainment on its 500GB internal hard drive. Pausing and rewinding live TV has never been easier and yes, you can also use this Freesat box to record two different channels at the same time!
- The TV guide lets you see what’s on the channels for as long as 8 days at a time.
- A 2-year warranty.
- Ethernet connection allows you to watch online channels and platforms.
- The package includes a 1.2m HDMI cable for perfect HD picture and Dolby Digital surround sound.
- No built-in Wi-Fi adapter.
- The program updating process is rather slow and complicated.
The Best Simplistic Freeview Receiver
Price not available
- Size: 24.5 x 5 x 32 cm.
- Connections: Ethernet, HDMI.
- Channels: More than 70 channels.
If you need a simple Freeview box, this is definitely the best choice.
Humax’s long-running experience with Freesat boxes brings this fine model that completes all PVR operations such as recording, home-networking, multimedia and on-demand services that make up a wonderful subscription-free experience. Offering 12 HD channels and +60 SD ones from Freeview, this device will keep you entertained in alternative methods as well thanks to its additional 25 radio channels.
You can enjoy 200 hours of SD recording and 80 hours of HD video. The box is also ethernet equipped, so you’ll always be up to date with all Humax’s upgrades and enhancements.
- Simply by highlighting the time, you can record programmes that are still scheduled to air.
- The twin digital tuners allow simultaneous recordings of two different channels.
- The power-saving feature turns on by default to save more energy.
- Tends to lose audio while in playback mode.
- The front display doesn’t include the recording signals, time or current channels.
The Best Small Freeview Box
- Size: 12 x 2.8 x 11 cm.
- Connections: HDMI.
- Channels: 70 channels.
If you are pressed for space, then this compact cookie can bring the best entertainment to your TV.
Although it measures only 12 x 2.8 x 11 cm, it offers some of the same great features we have covered with the larger Freeview boxes. Besides being small enough to use in your camper van or flat, what else can you look forward to?
Once you connect the box to your rooftop aerial, you can enjoy 70 channels, 15 HD channels and over 25 radio stations. You can stay up to date with the 8-day TV guide and set reminders for your favourite shows. Whatever you choose to watch, you’ll be spoiled with a crystal clear picture and Dolby Digital surround sound.
- It receives HD channels from both scart and HDMI connectors.
- Small and compact.
- HD quality.
- Easy to set up.
- No option to record.
The Best Freesat/Media Player Box
- Size: 16.5 x 10 x 4 cm.
- Connections: Wi-Fi, HDMI, scart.
- Channels: 200 HD channels.
This is a great choice if you want something with tons of entertainment.
This elegant box offers over 200 channels, many of which are HD quality. While you can enjoy all that Freeview has to offer, we also loved the fact that it’s a media player and a high-quality one at that.
The controls are easy and super quick to learn. Indeed, the whole box is very intuitive and can be operated by anyone. The user-friendly design also means that you can just switch the box on and start watching all your favourite shows – without the hassle of complicated programs or delays.
- Stylish, easy to manage.
- Clear picture and good resolution.
- Enjoy media stored on external USB devices.
- Record one channel while watching another.
- The user manual is not easy to understand.
The Best Freeview Box With 200 Channels
- Size: 16.5 x 10 x 4 cm.
- Connections: USB, HDMI.
- Channels: 200 TV channels, 50 radio stations.
That’s right. This Freeview box offers you 200 channels and 50 radio stations. You can view all these channels for free and for the best results, the only requirement is to connect the box to a roof aerial.
The box also allows you to record while watching a program or record it in the future when you are not at home. That way, you will never miss another episode of your favourite series. But besides offering plenty of recording time, you can also look forward to the following benefits.
This box can also be used as a media player. You can simply connect a USB stick and watch movies or listen to your playlist. It also comes with several useful apps including YouTube, and a LED display on the front panel.
- WiFi ready.
- Can record directly on a USB stick.
- The Electronic Program Guide is very basic.
Buying a Freesat box can definitely give your entertainment system a wonderful boost. Our guide offers the best tips to ensure that you find the right box the first time.
Freesat or Freeview?
Most independent receiving boxes can detect signals from Freesat or Freeview. In some cases, the device is suitable for both platforms. However, you should always read the product’s description to make sure that the box you choose is compatible with your favourite platform (or both).
One of the most popular features of Freesat boxes is their recording ability. Their integrated hard drives have capacities that range from 300 GB to 1TB. The more space, the more hours you’ll get (1TB is worth about 600 hours).
Two of the most important ones are integrated Wi-Fi or Ethernet and USB port.
The first feature allows you to either use existing internet apps such as Netflix, Youtube or Google that can be used as streaming devices to watch your favourite films, TV shows or other programmes; as well as simply surfing through the web.
The second feature is beneficial in boxes that don’t have an integrated hard disk. With this feature, you can store your recorded programmes and watch them anytime you like – either through the Freeset box or your laptop.
Q: What is Freesat?
A: Freesat is a satellite TV service from BBC and ITV that offers various channels that needn’t be purchased but are accessible to all.
Q: Is Freesat better than Freeview?
A: Both platforms have their pros and cons, but Freesat is available throughout the UK and offer more channels.
Q: Is Freesat worth getting?
A: Yes, Freesat is great if you own a satellite dish. Why? Because you get access to plenty of channels that are not otherwise available. s
Q: How to get more channels on Freesat?
A: Issues with missing channels on Freesat are resolved by retuning the device or manually searching for new channels. Each Freesat box has its own settings, so consult the user’s manual or contact the manufacturer’s for more information. You could also try adjusting the aerial for better reception.
Related Articles You May Be Interested In