Last Updated on January 11, 2022
Looking for some good old lever action? A good pair of garden shears will help you remove dead branches or new foliage leaving your shrubs looking trim and enviable.
Unfortunately, not every model delivers and the last thing you want is to get stuck with a pair of unreliable shears. For this reason, we’ve rounded up the best garden shears to help you select one that’s just right.
Product Testing & Comparison
Our reviewer followed a specific set of guidelines to determine the best of the best for our list:
- Ease of use
- Range of application
Our reviewer primarily focused on ease of use. Shears are pretty simple and are generally rather durable, meaning how easily you can use them is the most important factor here. Durability is important, though, and a shear’s likelihood of rusting or dulling of the blade will heavily impact its place on this list.
Beyond that, the range of application is important. The more you can do with them, the better. While we have a few smaller shears or even a lawn shear (#9), they made the list because they’re fantastic at what they do. Now, let’s see what’s best for you, shall we?
Discover The Best Garden Shears Reviewed In 2022
1. Pro Geared Garden Shears By Davaon (Product #DN-2227QY)
- Dimensions: 56 x 7.5 x 3.4 cm
- Blade Material: Carbon steel
- Weight: 820 grams
The best hedge cutting shears is the Pro Geared Garden Shears By Davaon. We gave it a 5/5 star rating.
Of the many top-rated brands in the market is the Davaon Pro Geared Garden Hedge Shears. This tool though coming a bit too heavy can be said to be so because it has been designed to be used mainly for heavy-duty tasks. With a high-performing ability, these powered shears can be used to operate in a large area quickly and effectively. It is well designed and made up of steel material, which makes it very durable with a low cost of maintenance. The hardened carbon steel material makes it hard for this shear to get damaged.
The brand’s quality, among many others, is one of the primary reasons why this shear stands out in the market. The brand has helped in providing these pruning shears with innovative features like a straightforward but still attractive design. It has offered standard and not so dangerous blades with adjustable tension.
Our reviewer loved these shears. They cut through just about anything in the garden you can imagine without issue, and are quite comfortable to hold during use. The blades can even cut through branches – and not just the small hedge branches. They do need to be maintained to prevent rust, though, so don’t leave them out in the rain.
- These hedges cutting shears offer excellent performance and can be used easily by anyone
- These hand shears feature long comfortable aluminium handles
- Comes with a wavy blade design making it effortless to grip while producing precision cuts
- Blades are made from high-quality carbon steel material making them very durable
- The good sharp blades can cut thicker branches and hedges
- This garden shear is a little bit too weighty so it doesn’t fit everyone’s needs
- The edge of these hedges cutting shears tends to get rusty after a long while of use.
2. Hand Shears For Gardening By Jakoti (Product #B00WN8N0SG)
- Dimensions: .79 x 32.59 x 9.4 cm
- Blade Material: Carbon steel
- Weight: 281 grams
The second best pruning shears are the Hand Shears For Gardening By Jakoti. We gave it a 5/5 star rating.
The Jakoti hand shears are very portable and handy product that makes trimming and cutting seem very fast. It helps users to attain a very smooth finish while also being able to effect precise cuts quickly. It comes with highly sophisticated carbon steel blades that can sharpen themselves after a long while of use. This not only helps users save the cost that comes with the maintenance of hand shears but also makes these hand shears very durable.
The comprehensiveness and lightweight of these hand shears is its outstanding feature. With it being light in weight, users can move these products from one place to another, which enhances ease of use. This allows for quick storage of these hedges shears the least effort possible.
Our reviewer loved these as a small, handheld set of shears. They’re great for smaller projects, and remain sharp for a long time. Their handles are quite ergonomic, and the blades can even sharpen themselves! While they’re not great for big projects, I think you can tell by their small size.
- This is the best option when cutting smaller areas or perennials
- Comes along with ergonomic handles which make users have a firm and comfortable grip and reduce arm fatigue
- Very comprehensive and light in weight making it easy to move it from one place to another.
- The carbon steel blades of these hand shears are made in such a way that they can sharpen themselves
- Not the best option for large areas, garden or thick branches
- The design of the hand shears is not as attractive as others of its kind.
3. Ladies Mini Pruner Garden Secateurs By Petal Power (Product #D0151)
- Dimensions: 26 x 23 x 2 cm
- Blade Material: Carbon steel
- Weight: 540 grams
The third best hedge shears for pruning are the Ladies Mini Shear Garden Secateurs By Petal Power. We gave it a 5/5 star rating.
The Petal power ladies shear set has explicitly been designed for ladies who also want to keep their gardens attractive. The hedge shears have been well designed to require less energy to have them operated. This product helps its users to save stress while still being able to achieve precise cuts all through the pruning process. A good warranty plan covers the maintenance of these hedge shears, but it is not so trusted.
As a lady when in the market, you cannot get your eyes off this shear because of the fantastic design. The design makes it look beautiful from a distance as it is from a very close range. The portability of these hand shears is a standout feature as it helps to facilitate use and storage at all times.
Our reviewer liked these for handheld shears, but not quite as much as #2. This is due to the blades’ ability to get damaged rather easily, and their inability to cut thicker branches. The additional fact that some users have had issues with the warranty, and it’s worth noting that #2 is a better, similarly priced option.
- These good hand shears are ergonomically designed in attractive dual colours
- The stainless-steel blades are adjustable and moderate for use as they are not blunt and not too sharp which is best for any plant
- Use, storage and maintenance of these products has been made effortless to carry out
- Very portable and comes all compact with every part needed
- These hand shears are not so reliable as they tend to get damaged after a while of use
- These hand shears are not so good for thick branches, plants and hedges
- There are a lot of questions that surround the validity of the warranty plan that is given.
4. Professional Aluminum Hedge Shears By Tabor Tools (Product #4336459903)
- Dimensions: 59 x 20 x 2.5 cm
- Blade Material: 930 grams
- Weight: 930 grams
The fourth best hedge shears for pruning are the Professional Aluminum Hedge Shears By Tabor Tools. We gave it a 4.5/5 star rating.
These hand shears are still one of the leading picks in the market today because of their simple construction and relative compactness. However, that’s not all that makes these products top rated. The standard of these pruning shears speaks well of them more than the performance does. This makes the parts of these products very reliable and constant replacement not needed. Coming at an excellent price to quality ratio, these cutting shears are ones that everyone looking to keep their yard alive should have. These sheers enable you to cut quickly due to the steel sharp blades.
This is one of the most balanced shears available. It is made with all parts specified, preventing discomfort while operating it. The comfortable shorter handles allow for trimming closer to the body at an optimal cut angle. Users are able to find attractive the fact that all features are of a high standard and do not need timely replacement.
Our reviewer loved these as a basic set of shears. They cut quickly and efficiently, and remain sharp for a long time. They’re super well balanced, too, making them quite ergonomic. They do struggle with larger jobs and aren’t suited to left-handed users, so keep that in mind.
- This pair of shears enables you to cut quickly due to the steel sharp blades provided for
- Replacements are not needed often for parts thanks to a very high standard
- The comfortable shorter handles allow for trimming closer to the body at an optimal cut angle.
- Tabor garden hedge shear is a very balanced shear for users who want to have a pleasurable experience.
- These great hand shears might not be able to operate well for larger jobs or thick branches
- Might not be the best option for users who work with their left hands.
5. Garden Shears By Carl Kammerling International Limited (Product #G5029)
- Dimensions: 56.5 x 15.5 x 4.5 cm
- Blade Material: Alloy steel
- Weight: 1.32 kg
The fifth best hedge shears for pruning are the Garden Shears By Carl Kammerling International Limited. We gave it a 4.5/5 star rating.
These fantastic shears for gardening are no doubt one of the leading hardened carbon shears in the market. It is top-rated because of the quality and security that has been established by the parent brand. It is known for its excellent design, high performance and ease of use among many other things. Coming at a very affordable price, this is one device we recommend purchasing. This pair of hedge cutting shears also boasts durability as long as proper maintenance is carried out on them.
The edge is not just of the best material, but they also come with adjustable blade tension. This adjustable tension gives users control over the shear while working with it. The blades can re-sharpen themselves, so users do not need to worry about it going blunt after a while of use.
Our reviewer liked these but noted that they’re quite heavy. They’re also a bit delicate, requiring maintenance for the blades to keep them sharp. Otherwise, though, they’re quite comfortable to use and do their job very well.
- The beautifully crafted handles make it very attractive to buyers
- Made of steel with blades capable of re-sharpening itself after a while of use
- Adjustable blade tension provided for making it very smooth to operate with
- Suitable for all garden variations and tasks ranging from the simple to the heavy-duty tasks
- Overall great trimmer
- Becomes very uncomfortable to use after a while
- Maintenance of these gardening shears is complicated because of how delicate they are.
6. Professional Hedge Shears By Bahco (Product #7311518275426)
- Dimensions: 15.2 x 12.7 x 59.2 cm
- Blade Material: Alloy steel
- Weight: 1 kg
The sixth best hedge shears for pruning are the Professional Hedge Shears By Bahco. We gave it a 4.5/5 star rating.
The larger the garden is or, the thicker the branches, the more professional the products needed. The largeness is why this professional hedge shear from the Bahco brand is one of the best out there. It stands itself out as one shear with steel, sharp coated blades, firm handles and an excellent price to quality ratio. It among other things has a very secured and comprehensive warranty plan which helps to repose confidence in buyers.
The modern lightweight design of these hand shears stands out from others because they make them attractive. This design allows for easy use of the shear as users can hold it firmly and maintain it easily.
Our reviewer found these to be quite useful shears. They’re lightweight, ergonomically designed, and overall quite good. However, though, they are prone to dulling and rust, so keep good care of these.
- Made in a classy structure that makes it light in weight and very easy to use with really good, comfortable handles
- The blades come well coated making it very safe to use and easy to clean
- With these lightweight shears you can cut through thick hedges without damaging the plants
- Requires less energy to operate with as it geared
- Ergonomic handles are being provided to facilitate firm hold.
- Users often get to lose control especially when on a very high motion
- The steel of the bleades blades tends to get blunt and many times rust easily.
7. Hedge Trimming Cordless Shears By Garden Gear (Product #D2939)
- Dimensions: 34 x 7.5 x 11.5 cm
- Blade Material: Alloy steel
- Weight: 800 grams
The seventh-best hedge shears for pruning are the Hedge Trimming Cordless Shears By Garden Gear. We gave it a 4.5/5 star rating.
This best cordless trimming shear is one of the most sorted shears in the market. This electric shear offers all the needed balance and comfort to get a cutting job done quickly and effectively. They come at one of the best prices in the market; these pruning shears have received positive shears reviews across the pruning shears community. Enjoy trimming and give our garden a new look with this fantastic piece from an established brand at an affordable price.
The compound cutting action of this shear stands it out from many others in the market. The aluminium material used in designing the external part of these products is also of a very high standard. Soft and comfortable handles allow for firmness and safe use. Then, unlike many other shears in the market, this comes cordless, allowing for easy and quick movement.
These are great for an electric option. They’re simple to use, cordless, and feature a safety lock. The blades are prone to rust and dulling, though, so it requires a bit of special care. Additionally, the blades can be damaged if used on too large a branch – so keep this for hedges, no trees.
- The perfect option for trimming small hedges without having to damage them
- These hand shears come with two interchangeable steel blades
- Being cordless makes it easy for users to manoeuvre it around
- A standard lock mechanism has been provided to check accidents
- Soft and comfortable handles allow for firmness and safe use
- After using for a while, the blades either begin to go blunt or get rust
- The blades get damaged easily primarily when used for an onerous task or large area
8. Ratchet Anvil Hand Shears by Wilkinson Sword (Product #1111168W)
- Dimensions: 10 x 10 x 10 mm
- Blade Material: Nylon fibre and steel
- Weight: 160 grams
This is a solid choice for those needing handheld shears. They boast sharp, powerful blades made from nylon fibre and steel, making them quite easy to use.
Their straightforward design makes them a breeze to use without issue, and the handles are very ergonomically designed. The added benefit of their unique shape makes it easy to fit them into smaller spaces.
Our reviewer quite liked these. While the handle tends to get stuck if you don’t clean it regularly, they’re still quite quality. This is only caused by corrosion, which won’t happen unless you leave them in the rain – so just take care of them! They are a bit small, though, which makes their applications rather limited.
- Very powerful sharp blades for cutting and trimming hedges by carefully pruning through
- A straightforward design which allows for easy access to functioning parts
- Easy grip, good comfortable handles that help you achieve the perfect cut
- Blades can rust without attention
- Small size limits uses
- Blades can lock if not maintained
9. Servo System Grass Shear By Fiskars (Product #113690)
- Dimensions: 103.5 x 24 x 8 cm
- Blade Material: Carbon steel
- Weight: 600 grams
The ninth-best hedge shears for pruning are the Servo System Grass Shear By Fiskars. We gave it a 4/5 star rating.
The 9th pick on our top 10 list review is an important one. This particular shear has been designed explicitly with modern-day innovation for DIYers. The innovative design and ease of use of this Fiskars gardening shear don’t just make it one of the best alone but make it the most sorted in the market. Users have always had high ratings and provided positive reviews on these pruning shears. Being the best budget shears, you can enjoy their compactness; quality steel sharp blades and safety lock mechanism.
With these plastic handles, users are not just able to have a firm grip, but can also save some cost of maintenance. Because the plastic handles do not get rust or scattered.
These were a favourite of our reviewer for trimming her lawn. While its odd shape makes it less suited to other jobs, this shear will save your back when working on the lawn. However, the handle is plastic, making it more prone to breaks, and the blade is really only suited to light cutting – so no hedges or branches.
- Fiskars shear comes all compact making it very easy to use even without the aid of the helpful manual guide
- Its blades are of a high standard has made from high carbon steel and able to stay sharp
- The blades also have non-stick steel coatings which makes them very quick to clean
- Has plastic handles that do not quickly rot or get disintegrated.
- The handles being made of plastic means that they can break or get damaged easily.
- These gardening shears have blades that are not suitable for heavy-duty tasks.
10. Flip-Lock Telescopic Hedge Shear By Darlac (Product #B0028YPW68)
- Dimensions: 73 x 20 x 4 cm
- Blade Material: Alloy steel
- Weight: 822 grams
The tenth best hedge shears for pruning are the Flip-Lock Telescopic Hedge Shears By Darlac. We gave it a 4/5 star rating.
Are you looking for a standard hedge shear from a quality brand at a very affordable price? Then you should look no further than this fantastic masterpiece of the Darlac brand. It also offers telescopic handles and blades from standard materials; these pruning shears can help you achieve that dream hedges of yours. A flip-lock mechanism has been provided to keep the work shears in place while not in use.
The most important feature of these pruning shears is the flip lock that has been provided for you. This uniquely designed lock helps to ensure that you have the shear locked while not in use to enhance safety. Asides this, the telescopic handles ensure you are safe at all times while operating with these good shears.
These are great for sensitive jobs. The ability to adjust the strength of the cut is quite nice, and they provide very nice reach thanks to their telescopic handles. The shock absorber tends to fall off, though, and the blades lack a sap groove, making it necessary to clean them regularly.
- Telescopic handles are being provided for which means easy reach and grip
- The cutting blades of this shear are very sharp and have adjustable tension to make it easy to operate with and cut thick branches
- The qualitative pruning shears being provided for by not just a leading brand but a trusted one
- Since a lock mechanism is also well equipped, it can prevent any accidents
- The weight of this shear makes it difficult for it to function for a long while
- Users found that the shock absorber being provided is not well fitted and can loosen at any time
- No sap groove to make blades clean
Garden Shears Buying Guide
Garden shears are the most common types of devices in every home, like a cordless hedge trimmer, they keep the outdoors neat. A long reach hedge trimmer can help with getting to the high areas. A garden vacuum will be your best tool to collect the dirt, debris, and cuttings resulting from your clean-up. You can then choose to dispose of the waste using a garden incinerator or shred on a garden shredder.
We are here to guide you through choosing the best garden shears. We will show you the factors to consider and ensure that you end up with the best tool.
The blade of the cutting shears is one of the significant features to look out for when buying. The standard or otherwise of the blade determines the ease as well as the quality of the cut. How then do you inspect the blades to be sure you are buying a standard blade? The following are factors to be considered as regards the blade of the cutting shears when purchasing.
i. The sharpness of the blades (blade coating, etc.):
The sharpness of the blade you are going for should depend on how well you understand the operation of the gardening shears. You should also think about the type of grass in your garden when buying. Hedge cutting shears with sharp blades help in providing more precise cuts than those that are less sharp. When considering the sharpness, it is also essential that you find the coating of the blade.
ii. Types of the blades:
Gardening shears blades are of different blade type come in various materials. There are the straight blade shears, which are known to be the most common. This blade type is known for its all-round standard to effect cut and also removes thick branches and stems off hedges and bushes without damaging the plants.
There is also the serrated shears, which are the best option when cutting thicker branches because of its design. This garden shear-type serves as an excellent alternative to straight blade shears.
The wavy blade shears are known for the curvy design and fantastic grips. They are the best option for thinner twigs to prevent them in their number from slipping away.
iii. Weight, length & quality of the blades:
Another major factor to consider when buying hedge pruning shears is the weight of the blade. Make sure they are not too heavy making the shear a bit difficult to operate with for you. Also, consider the length of the garden shear blade. The longer the blade, the safer and easier it is to work with it. Most importantly is the quality of the shear blade. You will not want to search for a knife that wears off after a while of use.
The handles of pruning shears are just as necessary as the blades themselves. The handles help to determine how well you can have a hold of the shear and operate with it. There are certain factors to consider as regards handle when buying pruning shears.
i. Length of the handles: The length of the handle should depend on the Size of the hedge shears. The long handles are usually always best because they are safe to operate with at any time. They, however, make the job seem a bit stressful, which makes people want to go for the shorter handles.
ii. Size & Shape of the handles: the Size and Shape of the handles are features to consider because they help to determine the firmness and comfort you will have with the shears. The handles of some of the shears you may find on amazon are made of wood.
iii. Coiled Metal or Wire Spring: your choice of either the coiled metal or wire spring largely depends on the intensity of the work to be done. The coiled metal is usually best for heavy tasks while the wire spring can be used for any other job.
3. Safety of the shears (its locking mechanism):
Safety is vital when working with a tool like the shear. So when buying, you must pay attention to the safety features provided. Make sure the locking mechanism provided for is top-notch and one you can operate. With a good lock, you can have the shear locked and in its place while not in use.
4. Manual shears or Powered shears:
When buying, you can either choose between manual or powered shears. The manual shears are best when you need to operate across a small area or carry out light cutting. The larger the city and the more difficult the task, the best option is the powered shears. With the powered shears, you can get a large piece of work done in the fastest possible time.
Types of garden shears
Garden shears come in different types, all of which are relative to different types of gardens. This is why it is always advised that you first know your garden and the vegetation therein before deciding which garden shear you want to buy.
1. Anvil pruners:
Many gardeners and homeowners are no doubt very familiar with the anvil shears. These shears are of very high quality and the best option for cutting thick grasses. The advantage of this shear is the quality design of its blade. The blades have been made in such a way that they easily cut through tough grasses without necessarily having to apply too much pressure.
Although it is very useful in its operation, the downside to anvil shears is that they are generally unable to provide an elegant finish. This is because of the cutting mechanism of this shear. Another disadvantage of this shear is that it sometimes proves very difficult to operate with, especially for the fact that it is weighty.
2. Bypass pruners:
While some gardeners and homeowners do not pay attention to the finish of work done in the garden with shears, others do. For those who always desire a clean finish after every cutting exercise, the bypass shears are the best option for you. These shears are designed with curved blades that are sharp at the edges. With this blade, users can cut through branches and foliage without causing any damage to the sides.
A number of these shears are best when looking to operate over a small area or carry out light tasks. This is not to say they can get the problematic job done; they can if you purchase better models.
3. Ratchet pruners:
if you do not want to go through a lot of stress when working with pruning shears, then the ratchet pruning shears are the best option for you. These hand shears have been designed with a mechanism that works just fine for them. This mechanism only requires little pressure to have the shear cut through the vegetation.
These hand shears differ from the anvil pruning shears only because they come with a ratchet mechanism allowing for the blade to be locked in a particular position while cuts are being made. This way, you do not need to exert as much force as would have been used when operating with other shears.
4. Combo Units pruners:
The combo units’ pruners combine one or two features of pruning shears. This kind of shear is always needed when users are working on specific tasks or looks to achieve a particular type of design or look in the garden.
Maintaining your garden shears
The harden shear, just like any other gardening tool, requires constant maintenance to keep it functioning effectively. With a good understanding of how to maintain your pruning shears, you can use the garden shear for a long time. The difference between one garden shear working more than another is because of maintenance.
1. Clean immediately after use:
articles of grasses and cuts fly all around when using of the cutting shears. This is why it is advised that after each use the garden shear is cleaned. This will help to take away particles or grasses that are inside any part of the shear. This will prepare the garden shear for the next cutting task.
Users must exercise the utmost care when cleaning the shears, especially with the blade. At any point when there seems to be confusion, users should make recourse make to the manual guide provided for the products.
2. Oiling/polishing regularly:
Closely related to constantly cleaning the garden shear after every use is the need to have it usually polished. Greasing the shear with oil on a regular base will enhance the friction of the various parts to themselves. When polishing, attention is to be paid to the locking mechanism to prevent it from jamming while in use.
3. Keeping the blades sharp:
The module is no doubt an essential part of the shear. When the knife goes blunt, there is almost nothing you can do with the shear as a whole. This is why you must keep the blades sharp always. A lot of care is needed when doing this to prevent the blade from harming. The brighter the blade gets, the more there is a need to have a sheath to prevent anyone from getting hurt while it is not in use.
Garden Shears Buying FAQs
Q: How can I clean my garden tools without using Jeyes fluid or bleach? Are there any antibacterial sprays recommended for hard surface cleaning?
A: Yes, several antibacterial sprays can be used for hard-surface cleaning and are good for your shears. Among these sprays are the Lysol disinfectant spray and the Clorox antibacterial spray among others.
Q: My garden shears blades have gone rusty. How can I get the sharpness back?
A: It is not surprising to have your shear blades get rusty especially when the rain comes. It is at the stage you need to up your maintenance game by ensuring that you continuously have the knife oiled and polished. If this doesn’t seem to help, some brands offer a blade sharpener as additional features to their package. You can get this sharpener to restore your blade to a perfect working condition.
Q: What should I know to use my shear safely?
A: It is necessary for you as a user to keep your hands far away from the blade when working with a shear. Due to the sharpness of the blade when in contact with you, it can result in damages. You must keep the shear away from the reach of children or anyone not familiar with it after each use.
Q: My garden shears are faulty. What should I do?
A: What to do depend on the fault of the hand shears. If it is some parts of the cutting shears that is faulty, you need to check first to see if those parts can be replaced. Should you be able to return them, then you must replace them early enough. If they cannot be repaired, you might have to get entirely new shears for cutting hedges.