Last Updated on January 12, 2022
Steam cleaners are priceless when we need to care for delicates or things like hanging curtains. But they can also be used for regular items on a clothes hanger. If you want to try this amazing appliance, we have your back. Let’s discover this year’s top steamers!
Product Testing & Comparing
Each and every garment steamer that made our top 10 list has been thoroughly considered. Our review team had a good look at each steamer, its features and also its performance. At the end of the day, all of these products satisfied our reviewers who use stringent quality guidelines and finally, we also ranked them according to our top picks. However, each one is remarkable in its own right so don’t hesitate to find something lower down the list that might suit you better.
For each product, we also highlighted these important features.
- Cord length.
Frequently Bought Together
The Best Garment Steamers Reviewed In 2022
The Best Garment Steamer
- Size: 115 x 145 x 275 cm.
- Weight: 1.07 kg.
- Power: 1600 W.
- Corded: Yes (3 m).
We selected this stylish steamer as the best of the bunch! But what makes it so special? Let’s have a quick rundown of why this steamer impressed our review team so much.
One of the best features is the fact that it kills a lot of germs. During laboratory testing, it killed 99 percent of bacteria, viruses and germs, making it a great option if you love hygienic clothing.
You can also look forward to quick heating (40 seconds), a 140°C heated soleplate that gives great results and a water tank, a locking trigger and a travel bag.
- Powerful and durable.
- Quick heating.
- Kills viruses and bacteria.
- The cord limits manoeverability.
The Best Lightweight Garment Steamer
- Size: 32.5 x 16.9 x 13.9 cm.
- Weight: 28.35 g.
- Power: 1100 W.
- Corded: Yes (1.9 m).
We choose this steamer as the best lightweight option if you need something that won’t strain your wrist or add more kilos to your luggage. Operating with a continuous steam flow of 1100 W and an insanely fast heat-up time, you can use it for flat ironing or vertical steaming.
By using its incorporated fabric brush, you can seamlessly iron through sensitive garments including silk, velvet or delicate cotton. The iron steamer can also remove dust, kill bacteria, and get rid of foul odours from several fabric types. We also loved the safety features that shut the steamer down when there is a water shortage or when it overheats.
- Comes with a full two-year warranty by Swan.
- Compact and lightweight.
- Stainless steel control panel.
- It can be noisy.
Best Steamer For Creases
- Size: 34.5 x 19.5 x 22 cm.
- Weight: 1.4 kg.
- Power: 1750 W.
- Corded: Yes.
This garment steamer offers you two modes – eco and turbo. Eco is perfect if you want to save water and lightly steam delicates and items that are not too wrinkled. But when you are faced with tough creases, you simply switch to turbo mode and this steamer takes care of the rest.
The steamer also works quickly. Just plug it in, switch it on and start steaming in roughly 35 seconds. It also kills most bacteria and viruses the steam comes into contact with.
- Removes tough wrinkles.
- Can be used for hanging and vertical items.
- 260 L water tank.
- Removes odours.
- Turbo mode depletes the tank faster.
Best Versatile Garment Steamer
- Size: 29.9 x 18.8 x 14.5 cm.
- Weight: 930 g.
- Power: 1200 W.
- Corded: Yes (2.4 m).
This easy to hold garment steamer has a power 1200 W outbreak and a decent 260 ml water tank. You can readily get the unit to start (under less than 30 seconds) and can operate for about 15 minutes before you need to refill. But we loved it most for its versatile nature, being able to steam all fabric types, most notably linen, velvet, plush, sink, wool and nylon.
Another great feature is the steamer’s pump technology that uses a 110°C steam to thrust deeply into the fabric and remove all dirt and allergens. This technology also ensures that you can use the clothes steamers either horizontally or vertically without leakage.
- Two-year warranty.
- Removes odours.
- Auto shut-off function that turns the unit off after 8 minutes of inactivity.
- Not suitable for heavy-duty work.
Top Steamer For Hygienic Clothing
- Size: 32.1 x 18.3 x 14.7 cm.
- Weight: 1.55 kg.
- Power: 1500 W.
- Corded: Yes (2.4 m).
Heating up in 25 seconds, this elegant clothes steamer works with a powerful 1500 W operation. This not only effectively irons fabric but also removes pests, viruses, dust and allergens from sofas, curtains or beddings. Needless to say, your laundry will be hygienic, clean and fresh.
The clothes steamer uses a temperature of 110°C and the 280 ml water tank is easy to refill. The extra-long power cord is also suitable to comfortably steam your garments near a power socket.
- Travel bag for easy storage and an anti-scalding glove.
- It has a complete air guide that prevents water spots.
- Leaves fabric exceptionally clean.
- Great to combat allergies.
- It is heavier than other handheld steamers.
Top Handheld Travel Steamer
- Size: 28 x 17 x 12 cm.
- Weight: 1.11 kg.
- Power: 1500 W.
- Corded: Yes (2 m).
We picked this as the best steamer to join you on your travels! Whether you need something for that business trip where you need something for the hotel room or you want to steam fabrics on your next camping adventure, this steamer can help. With a power of 1500 W and fast heat-up time, you can steam horizontally and vertically.
The 280 ml water tank provides 10 minutes of steaming at a time and an even temperature flow. This allows the steam to penetrate materials effectively and remove all bacteria, allergens, dust and odour.
- Great travel steamer.
- Auto cut-off safety feature.
- You can use it for ironing, sterilisation, and humidifying.
- It’s designed with a handy lock for continuous use.
- It is more prone to scalding and limestone build-up.
Best Small Capacity Tank Garment Steamer
- Size: 29.2 x 16.3 x 12.3 cm.
- Weight: 1.19 kg.
- Power: 1000 W.
- Corded: Yes (2.5 m).
If you need a powerful garment steamer for smaller items and delicates that won’t require much time, then this appliance is perfect. With its 200 ml water tank, you can use 5-minutes sessions to treat fabrics. The durable ceramic soleplate also distributes heat evenly which helps remove creases very effectively.
Despite the short time, you can steam things like a curtain or a three-piece suit each time. When the time comes to refill the tank, this task is also very easy and quick.
- Easy to use.
- Quick refill capacity.
- Removes creases effectively.
- Not suitable for heavy-duty tasks.
Best 20 ml Garment Steamer
- Size: 38 x 12.8 x 15 cm.
- Weight: 0.97 kg.
- Power: 1300 W.
- Corded: Yes (2.5 m).
We picked this steamer as the best choice for super-quick sessions. With a quick start of 45 seconds and a power output of 1300 W, you can look forward to fast and effective wrinkle removal. Although the water tank is just 70 ml, the results are satisfactory.
Whatever type of fabric you want to steam, the heating plate has a Smart Flow function that efficiently kills up to 100% of bacteria. With that in mind, you can also use the steamer for removing germs, dust and even odour. Additionally, this garment steamer will effortlessly operate both horizontally and vertically.
- Two-year manufacturers warranty by Philips.
- Includes a storage bag, a glove for extra protection and a fabric brush.
- Buttoned trigger for easy de-wrinkling.
- It emits a temperature of 100°C, which effortlessly eliminates wrinkles.
- Relatively large build.
Best Upright Garment Steamer
- Size: 40 x 36 x 29 cm.
- Weight: 4.5 kg.
- Power: 1800 W.
- Corded: Yes (1.7 m).
Being one of the most functional products on the market, this garment steamer uses the power of 1800 W to remove creases and wrinkles from all fabric types. The water tank is also large (1.8 litres) which is perfect for spring cleaning and taking care of all the house’s curtains, blankets, beddings, cushions or even sofas.
You can use the machine for 50 minutes before it needs a refill. For relatively larger clothes, you can use the included hanger and clamp duo that will hold your trousers, dresses or pantsuits in place while you give them the steam treatment. The telescopic pole is also easily adjustable to fit different heights.
- Automatic power-off button that stops the device’s operation if not in use.
- Includes a folding hanger, trouser and glove clamp and a telescopic pole.
- It has an ironing board that can be used for collars and other hard-to-reach edges.
- Prone to scalding.
Best Easy To Use Steamer
- Size: 33 x 14 x 21 cm.
- Weight: 1 kg.
- Power: 1500 W.
- Corded: Yes (3 m).
The easy-to-use device has a reliable motor of 1500 W, which is relatively high for handheld steamers. With outstanding speed and consistency, the clothes steamer will be ready for you in roughly a minute. The 200 ml water tank is designed with a convenient layout that makes refilling as simple as possible.
Regarding design and functionality, it can be said that the Tefal hand steamer was carefully manufactured to be one of the best user-friendly units out there. The non-slip handle and comfortable grip make handling of the unit very simple, while the 3-metre power cord is also longer than most.
- Safe for all fabric types, including silk.
- Firm base and a flexible counter rest.
- Provides 10 minutes of continuous steaming.
- Comes with a handy fabric brush and a steam cover protector.
- Only has one steam setting.
Your Garment Steamer Buying Guide
A garment steamer is a lifesaver. But buying the wrong one can be a disappointing experience. Our guide contains all the best tips to hopefully make the process less painstaking!
Generally, anything below 1200 W will be ineffective and a waste of resources. The best steam devices can promote up to 2000 W, which affects heat-up time, quality of steam and its duration.
A large water tank ensures that you can have an uninterrupted steaming session while also enhancing the pressure of the steam. Generally, a handheld steamer should host around 200 ml, while a full-sized one would need about 1.5-litres.
Do you want to use the steamer at home or take it along on a trip? The latter might need a more lightweight and compact design than something you can keep at home.
Q: Do garment steamers really work?
A: Yes, garment steamers are excellent devices and remove creases from fabrics.
Q: Is it better to iron or steam clothes?
A: Irons provide reliable straightening results but are usually limited to specific fabrics and features. On the other hand, a steamer is suitable for all fabric types. A steamer also has more health benefits, as it can be used as a sanitiser, bacterial removal, dust eliminator or humidifier.
Q: How to use a steamer for clothes?
A: Each garment steamer is manufactured differently, so there isn’t a uniform method that works on all products. However, most steam devices are usually operated within the same logic, which includes these three steps.
- Preparation – Begins with getting the steamer ready to start by plugging it into the mains power and filling its reservoir with water. One important thing to note here is that tap water will work just fine, but using distilled water prevents plaque build-up, thus ensuring that your steam unit lives longer.
- Steaming – Includes placing your garments into a comfortable position for steaming. If you’re using an upright steamer, you should set your clothes on the included hanger. For handheld units, you can use a simple coat hanger from your wardrobe. You can also do this process with fabrics lying down, but this usually blocks the airflow and doesn’t let the wrinkles straighten out properly. Continue with running the nozzle downwards by applying slow motions. The nozzle doesn’t have to touch the fabric but merely run through it.
- Aftermath – Normally, when steaming is done, you might see some water spots or damp lesions. If you want to continue steaming other garments, gently remove the steamed clothes and place them somewhere else, they can hang. Let them dry for about 10 minutes before you decide to wear them or put them in the dresser.
Related Articles You May Be Interested In