Last Updated on January 11, 2022
A health grill is a great appliance. Not only does it press flavour into your favourite meals but it also takes care of your body by removing unhealthy fats and oils. Hungry? Great! Let’s look at the top grills of the year to find the best one for your kitchen.
Product Testing & Comparison
Our reviewer used a number of specific guidelines to determine the best of the best:
- Ease of use and cleaning
- Quality of make
The first and largest determining factor on what went where in our list was how easy to use and clean each device is. Following that, the quality of make is a big part – plastic shouldn’t be anywhere near a grill unless it’s done with purpose.
The last part of what went where was the adaptability of each product. If it was able to do more than a single thing, it got major points in our list. For example, #1 and #10’s big separators are that the former is quite adaptable and easy to use, while the latter really only has the single use – grilling.
The Best Health Grills Reviewed In 2022
1. The Best Health Grill By Tefal (Product #GC713D40)
- Dimensions: 37 x 36 x 16.5 cm
- Material: Alloy steel
- Special Features: Adjustable grill height
We picked this serious-looking toastie as the best health grill. It’s perfect for the home chef who loves grilling the whole meaty range from rare to well done. But it’s also great if you like both manual control and a helping hand from the appliance itself.
What the heck does that mean? It means that you can stop worrying over certain things and just enjoy the process of cooking. This smart grill will automatically adapt the cooking requirements according to the thickness of the food.
LED lights show the heating progress until the meal is done, so you don’t have to worry about turning your salmon into charcoal. You also don’t have to worry about keying in the perfect temperature for different types of meat. One-touch buttons activate a cooking program for anything from poultry to fish.
Finally, everyone loves a steak that is juicy and comes with grill stripes – and that’s exactly what you’ll get from this stainless steel beauty.
Our reviewer loved this grill – as shown by the #1 spot in our list. It comes with multiple automatic cooking programs for number of foods, and four temp settings. The good size allows you to cook for a number of people, and the nonstick plate and drip tray remove easily, allowing them to be washed in a dishwasher. Its one downside is the beeping with specific functions which may be a bit annoying.
- Six automatic cooking programs to grill poultry, burger, bacon, red meat, sausage, and fish.
- Four temperature settings.
- The grill can cook frozen food.
- 600 cm square cooking surface.
- Serves 2 to 4 people.
- The non-stick plates and drip tray are removable and dishwasher safe.
- The grill beeps with certain cooking functions which might annoy those who like silent appliances.
- This is a large health grill (37 x 36 x 16.5 cm) and needs a big space in the kitchen.
2. The Best Family Size Health Grill By George Foreman (Product #25040)
- Dimensions: 33 x 32.4 x 10.7 cm
- Material: Stainless steel
- Special Features: 2-year warranty, nonstick, detachable dishwasher-safe drip tray
This is one of the top grills if you need to prepare portions for the whole family. You can add as many as 5 portions at a time. But besides this convenience, you can also look forward to plenty of other features.
The grill is made with premium steel, making it durable and easy to clean. The plates are fixed and non-stick, making them quick to wipe down. Once you’re done with this grill, you can also store it vertically to save space.
The drip tray is detachable so you can just pop that into the dishwasher as well.
This is an awesome product from a well-known brand. The adjustable rear foot allows a bit of adaptability, as does the clip-on drip tray. It’s simple to clean and easy to use, making it great for beginner cooks. The big downside is the lack of programs and temperature controls, but it’s still quite usable. The warranty, however, adds a bit of peace of mind, which you know we love.
- Grills family-sized portions.
- Adjustable rear foot for angled cooking.
- Clip-on drip tray.
- Easy to use and clean.
- No programs or temperature control.
3. The Best Health Grill For Ribs By Tower (Product #T27009)
- Dimensions: 26.5 x 29.7 x 9.8 cm
- Material: Stainless steel
- Special Features: Cool touch handle, cerastone nonstick plate, nonslip feet, indicator light, adjustable top plate, grease release ledge/drip tray
Are grilled ribs one of your all-time favourites? Then there is no reason to worry about unhealthy fats and oils. This grill is specifically designed to prepare tasty ribs in the healthiest way possible.
The lid is hinged to easily adjust to the thickness of your food. This means that you can easily grill those ribs but also other types of meals. The grill is particularly great for fish fillets, chicken breasts, steak, paninis and toasties.
The plates are non-stick and easy to clean. There is also a tray under the grill to capture all the excess oils and grease.
This is a great and adaptable device. It’s easy to use and easy to clean, especially considering the nonstick coating. The adjustable top plate makes it easy to cook a number of things, and the indicator light is a helpful little bonus. The big downside here is that there aren’t any automatic programs – but that’s okay, it’s still a great little grill.
- Great for grilled ribs.
- Also suitable for a wide variety of meat and vegetables.
- Easy to clean.
- No programs.
- Dimensions: 38.2 x 36.8 x 16.8 cm
- Material: Stainless steel & aluminium
- Special Features: Removable drip tray, floating hinge system, light indicator
This is a nice little device. Its nonstick surface makes it easy to cook a number of things without worrying about them getting burnt on. It’s easy to use without oil, making it nice as a healthy little grill, and the draining holes help whisk away fat and oil.
Our reviewer found that it was quite serviceable as a sandwich toaster and, surprisingly, a mini grill! While it’s easy to clean, it’s not dishwasher safe, making it require a bit of special care. The variable temperature control makes it easy to adapt on the fly, and the pressing plate gives nice little grill marks. Its only real downside is the lack of a timer or programmable settings.
Nonetheless, this guy is great.
- Comes with a non-stick surface.
- You can cook with little to no oil.
- An effective draining hole removes fat and oil that comes from meat.
- The pressing plates create grill stripes on meat for a delicious steakhouse look.
- Variable temperature control.
- The grill is easy to clean but it’s not dishwasher safe.
- It doesn’t have a timer.
5. The Mini Panini Press By Daewoo (Product #SDA1574GE)
- Dimensions: 31.2 x 24 x 10.6 cm
- Material: Plastic & steel
- Special Features: Light indicator, safe touch handle, nonstick, skid-resistant feet
Looking for a stunning kitchen grill? Then this could be your top choice. Made by a trusted brand, the grill has a clean, sleek look.
The appliance also comes with features like a cool-touch handle to avoid burns and automatic temperature control. There are lights to tell you when the appliance is on. Another alerts you that the appliance has warmed up to the perfect heat and you can now insert your food of choice to start the cooking process.
Worktop grills that fold open completely – as this one does- also make cooking easier when you prefer to cook more portions at the same time. After opening the grill and flatten the sides, you can use both plates to grill double the number of burgers, fish, or skewers. Once you’re done, the non-stick plates can be wiped clean with just a sponge and some soapy water.
Our reviewer loved this little guy. It’s easy to use and the safe touch handle makes it quite easy to open and clean. The neat appearance is also a quite nice bonus. The final nice little bit here is the cord storage slot, making it super simple to clean and store away. While the plates aren’t removable, they’re pretty simple to clean. The griller is not dishwasher safe, and it’s a bit small – otherwise, a great device.
- It has a neat and professional appearance.
- A cool touch handle for increased safety.
- Both plates have a non-stick surface.
- A cord storage area makes it easy to fold the cord away when you need to store or transport the grill.
- The non-removable plates are easy to clean but the griller itself isn’t dishwasher safe.
- Some might want a bigger griller if they want to cook more portions of large items in the pressed position.
6. The Dual Cooking Grill With Oil Drip Tray By Salter (Product #EK2003)
- Dimensions: 33.3 x 12.9 x 33.4 cm
- Material: Ceramic
- Special Features: Adjustable grill height
This large grill has all the perks to make your next meal a feast. You can seal in the flavour and moisture of streak, press a panini, or make the family’s morning bacon in a single go. Or flip it open if you need a double hot plate for larger pieces like fish or a barbecue.
Either way, you can be assured that healthier cooking is on the cards. This is because the removal channel directs all the fat and oil to a drip tray, completely separate from the food. The amount of fattiness might even surprise you!
The grill has lovely ceramic-coated grill plates but besides looking professional, the material is also best for maintenance. Excess bits that remain after cooking is easily removable with a few wipes of a wet cloth.
You can also rest assured that the coating won’t degrade like some other health grills tend to do. The coating’s design makes the plates resistant to abrasive moments (let’s blame that scratchy spatula here).
This is a great little guy if you don’t mind cleaning it by hand, as it’s not dishwasher safe. The nonstick plates and adjustable grill height make it quite easy to cook a number of things, and it’s abrasion/scratch-resistant, making it long-lasting. Our reviewer’s big gripe with this guy is that it tends to spit grease on high settings, so be careful.
- It has an adjustable grill height.
- Non-stick plates.
- Abrasion resistant for many years of use.
- Cool-touch handle to ensure you don’t burn your hands, even while the grill is cooking.
- Use as a press grill or a double hot plate.
- The grill is not dishwasher safe but the ceramic grill plates are easy to clean and maintain.
- A few consumers have reported that the grill tends to spit grease now and again while cooking.
7. The Top Grill With Automatic Settings By Tefal (Product #GC722D40)
- Dimensions: 48.9 x 38.2 x 22.8 cm
- Material: Stainless steel
- Special Features: Nonstick, 9 automatic settings
A lot of health grills only offer one heating option but if you love to have more control, especially when it comes to grilling different things, then this appliance is a dream. It comes with 9 automatic settings for things like seafood, burgers, pork, fish, and more.
You can easily adjust the depth of the lid to press the food and also prepare enough portions for up to 8 people. The non-stick plates are easy to wipe clean and the drip tray is also dishwasher-safe.
While this is a simple device, that’s part of its charm. It’s pretty dang big, allowing you to cook for a number of people. It also comes with multiple automatic settings, which is quite nice. It’s easy to clean, but it does come with a pretty big downside – the incessant beeping it makes.
- Can grill frozen foods.
- 9 Automatic settings.
- Large number of portions.
- Easy to clean.
- The grill beeps which can be annoying.
8. The Medical Stone Smokeless Health Electric Grill By LXVY (Product #591-502-515)
- Dimensions: 37.5 x 31.5 x 11 cm
- Material: Alloy steel & glass, plastic handle
- Special Features: Hot pot, heat dissipation port
Gather closer barbecue fans, especially if you like pot-shaped health grills. The baking tray can take multiple portions at once, which saves cooking time. Afterwards, it can be taken out of the pot for an easy scrub down.
But let’s look at the cooking goodies this grill is capable of.
There is dual temperature control. On the one hand, you can control the temperature of the pot or decide to only use the baking tray for grilling. Either way, the ring shape helps with rapid heat build-up and this helps the food to cook faster.
One notable feature of this smart grill is its versatile nature. If you need something in the kitchen that delivers superb grilling but can also boil, fry, simmer, roast, and stir-fry, then you’ve found your champion.
This guy was unique for our reviewer. While it comes with a special hot pot feature, that’s just about all it offers. Otherwise, it’s more of a griddle than a grill – but it’s still a good product. The smokeless design and multifunction is quite nice, especially for healthy meals. Its big downsides are that it’s not dishwasher safe, and isn’t great for those who want a press (as it isn’t one).
- The grill is smokeless.
- A handsome pot shape.
- Multi-function cooking appliance used for preparation techniques other than cooking.
- One of the best health grills for family gatherings.
- The main baking tray is removable but the grilling pot is not dishwasher safe.
- Might not be suitable for those who love pressed grill recipes.
9. The Smokeless Electric Grill By Costway (Product #B09B3GMYDB)
- Dimensions: 58 x 34 x 8 cm
- Material: Stainless steel
- Special Features: Smokeless, indicator light
But what about wanting to take your grill on a picnic? It’s not always possible to take appliances on trips. But according to the manufacturer of this grilling wonder, your worries are over.
The grill is open and resembles a small barbecue stand (it doesn’t have a top plate). In all honesty, that makes it more suitable when gathering with friends to turn a steak. Indeed, you can take one of these grills on camping trips, the park, beach, and even indoors, and on patios.
You can prepare food with five different heat temperature settings while enjoying a smoke-free grilling experience. Like most other of the best health grills, the plates are designed to drain fat to produce a great healthy meal in no time. Several parts are also removable, which makes cleaning easy.
This is cool for a carryable little grill. It’s smokeless, which is a nice little bonus as well. While it’s not super easy to clean, there are a few removable parts that are dishwasher safe – though the whole thing is not dishwasher safe. Our reviewer was torn on this one. On one hand, it’s simple and easy to use, but on the other hand, it has no press or special features beyond super basic ones.
- A great mobile grill to take on trips.
- Five heat settings.
- Can heat portions for up to five people.
- Only certain removable parts are dishwasher safe.
- No press
10. The Best Health Grill By Quest (Product #35609)
- Dimensions: 33.2 x 30.1 x 12.4 cm
- Material: Steel
- Special Features: Auto temp control, nonstick
If you are looking for a grill that is basic but dependable, then this is your best bet. It doesn’t have programs but you can basically grill any sandwich, cut of meat, vegetables, and fish inside. Let’s have a quick look at its best features.
It is also suitable to grill really thick steaks and paninis. Besides offering you versatile cooking, the grill is non-stick and a breeze to clean. You can also look forward to automatic temperature control and a compact design that makes storage easy.
Another simple device that works surprisingly well. It’s easy to use and clean, and stores quite well with its small size. It’s a wonderful entry-level grill, but it’s not much more than that. It doesn’t come with any programs or many special features, making it a bit limited in application.
- Suitable for trips.
- Easy to use, clean and store.
- Can handle thick sandwiches and meat.
- Great as an entry-level grill.
- No programs.
Your Quick Buying Guide
A health grill is a wonderful appliance to add to the kitchen. These versatile wonders keep flavour and taste in our lives while cutting out the dangerous fat and oil. It’s no wonder, then, that so many people get one of their own.
Unfortunately, things are not as simple as choosing, buying, and then enjoying the bested toasted tuna melt you’ve ever tasted. Not all grill plates are created equal. We’ve gathered a few great tips so that you can pick the right grill for you and kick fat to the curb.
Identify Your Needs
The model you will ultimately buy depends on what you’d like your new cooking friend to do. If you only want a grill for yourself because you live exclusively on panini sandwiches, then a smaller model with fewer features are perfect.
But if you have a family or want to heat a meal for a party, then there are some great options among the larger products.
Another important thing to consider is how much time you’re willing to spend on cleaning the grill. Most are non-stick but there will always be a wayward crumb. It’s also good practice to maintain a grill with a cleansing after use.
But here’s the thing. Not every grill is dishwasher friendly. Some parts can be put in the washer but others need to be cleaned entirely by hand.
Look For An Oily Angle
In other words, is the grill a little sloped? Once the heat extracts the fat and oil from food, these nasties need to go somewhere. That’s why a functional health grill is always a little sloped.
The designers used gravity to pull the unhealthy fat down the angled grill and into a drainage channel. Some appliances drain into a pan directly under the grille and this is fine if you’re not too bothered by the stuff being right underneath your cooking food.
Good Reviews Can Save You A Lot Of Trouble
Once you find a product you like, go online to retail sites like Amazon. Look for reviews left by consumers that are marked as verified purchases – that means they actually bought the product and chances are that their opinion is crafted from experience and because of this, could be vastly different to the product’s sale’s pitch page.
Look at good and bad reviews, from the five stars to people who wish they could give half a star. However, the best reviews come from people who’ve been cooking with the product for at least a couple of months.
Trust Your Eyes
Hey, it worked for our ancestors when they bought a mule. Authentic reviews are half the battle. But sometimes, consumers are still disappointed because they didn’t take the time to look closely at all the available images.
If you can visit the product in-store, fantastic. Look for any sign that betrays the fact that it was made from tacky materials or whether it looks flimsy. If an alarm bell goes off (in other words, you’re not satisfied), then trust your gut.
If you can only search for a cooking grill online, look carefully at the images. Do they show what the verified customers describe? If not – or they look photoshopped – then rather look for a seller that is honest enough to place authentic photographs online.
Q: What Is The Best Grill That Is Value For Money?
A: The best grill that is value for money is not truly a brand name. The best grill is one that provides an excellent cooking experience, saves time, and have removable plates that can be cleaned in the dishwasher. These factors are the hallmark of a great grill, no matter the price.
Q: What Is A Health Grill?
A: A health grill is an appliance with two grilling plates used to press and cook food. What makes them more healthy than other grills is the fact that they have a special feature. Health grills have a draining hole or channel that removes excess oil and fat from meals during the cooking process.
Q: What Is Better Than A George Foreman Grill?
A: What is better than a George Foreman grill is a matter of what you are looking for. For some people, a George Foreman grill suits their needs and that makes it the best grill for them. But many other brands offer grills that might catch the liking of other consumers – and that makes it better than a George Foreman grill.
Sometimes people just want something with removable plates or a larger grill which aren’t always available with all George Foreman’s products.
Q: Are George Foreman grills healthy?
A: George Foreman grills are healthy when they are marked as such. Also make sure that your chosen model include the main feature of health grills and that is the draining channel that removes oil and fat from food. Overall, most George Foreman grills are very healthy.
Related Articles You May Be Interested In