Last Updated on May 2, 2021
For the growing stress of daily life and the impending difficulties of our current situation, alternative means of entertainment are essential. With cinemas and theatres being closed, many of us have taken a cultural-hit that seems to accompany us for some time now.
We don’t think that there’s a better time to renovate your home cinema system, so you should get to work right away. To help you with that, we have gathered everything you need to know before investing.
Connectivity: 4-In-1-Out HDMI (4K Ultra HD), RCA, digital coaxial and left-right optical inputs.
Enhancement Technologies: HDR, BT.2020, Cinema DSP, Compressed Music Enhancement.
Special Feature: Selectable Auto Power Standby & ECO mode.
Connectivity: 3.5 mm, RCA, channel audio, coaxial port and optical inputs.
Enhancement Technologies: Dolby Digital & DTS decoding.
Special Feature: 2.1, 4.1 or 3D Sound Selection.
Connectivity: HDMI Arc, Optical, AUX, USB, Wi-Fi & Bluetooth.
Enhancement Technologies: Power Bass & DSP Technology.
Special Feature: Mountable Design.
Connectivity: 4-In-1-Out HDMI, RCA, digital coaxial and optical inputs, Bluetooth & Wi-Fi.
Enhancement Technologies: YPAO R.S.C., Dolby Atmos & DTS :X.
Special Feature: Alexa Compatibility.
Best Home Cinema Systems On The UK Market Reviewed In 2021
The best home cinema system is the HTR-2071 model by Yamaha. There’s a reason Yamaha is renowned for manufacturing the best musical instruments, and it solely lies on the incredible sound experience provided with each product. The fantastic home cinema system supports all HDMI standards while being able to transmit 4K video without degrading the quality of the source input.
The best home cinema system also applies a unique configuration for its amplification settings by using a PLL circuit that contributes to its fantastic sound quality.
Its virtual cinema DSP also reproduces a virtual 5.1 surround sound channel by only using its two front speakers. The sound quality is further enhanced by Yamaha’s trademarked enhancement technology that uses a low-range bass reproduction that also contributes to maintaining a proper localisation and sound balance.
- It supports HDR while adhering to the HDCP2.2 copyright protection standard.
- It uses BT.2020 pass-through that offers a broader range of colours.
- It is compatible with 3D, 4K, Full HD and all resolutions below.
- It has four HDMI ports for all your entertainment devices.
- It has a subwoofer trim feature that improves sound imaging.
- It doesn’t include the surround speakers.
- A few buyers were unhappy with the lack of audio inputs.
The best surround sound system is Logitech’s 5.1 speaker unit that is granted to bind you with a theatre-quality audio experience at the comfort of your living room. Thanks to the 1000 W peak and 500 W power it uses, the 5.1 speaker systems deliver a loud surround sound that will make you feel like you’re going through the same struggles as the characters on the TV. This is further supported by its strict performance standards that have granted Logitech the THX certification.
Besides the THX certification, the best surround sound system by Logitech has also integrated additional digital decoding that is compatible with all Dolby Digital, Dolby ATMOS and DTS encoded soundtracks. The 5.1 home surround speakers also come with multiple inputs, allowing you to connect up to six components simultaneously. The Hi-Fi listening experience is further stimulated thanks to the simple cabled control console that is used to adjust the surround sound, volume level and device input.
- It’s designed to work with Dolby Digital and DTS encoded soundtracks.
- It has a wireless remote that controls it.
- It supplies a 1.80 metre (6 ft) six-channel direct cable.
- It allows you to choose between 2.1, 4.1 or 3D surround sound.
- Its sturdy components ensure long-lasting durability.
- Its subwoofer sound bar is large and heavy, which will require a special place in the house.
- Some customers found its control panel too simple.
With convenient appliances, wireless surround sound systems are one of the most notable hits. One of the unique products of this field is Vmai’s wireless surround sound speakers that will bring a dreamy, cinematic pleasure without having to make a single step out of the house. With upgraded dimensions of 91 cm (36”) in length and 6 cm (2.5”) height, the speaker can be stored neatly anywhere in your home and look as elegant as it gets.
Thanks to its exclusive power bass technology, the Hi-Fi surround sound systems will produce a 110dB clear sound quality that operates by using low frequencies. The upgraded sound bar also uses a Bluetooth 5.0 & DSP technology that ensures stable connectivity through its entire transmission. For an added versatility, Vmai has integrated four sound modes that customise clarity, human voice emphasis and differences in volume and power to promote the best surround sound system.
- It comes with a wall-mountable bracket.
- It is engineered with dual-side reflex ports that provide deeper bass levels and more power outputs.
- Its Wi-Fi connectivity range covers about 15 metres (30 feet).
- It has a Bluetooth button on the sound bar body for added convenience.
- It provides with different sound modes including news, movie, music and 3D.
- Some customers noted that it didn’t provide the ideal crispness and clarity.
- It is not as loud as standard Hi-Fi speakers.
If you’re looking to get 5.1 surround sound systems that can be easily controlled with secondary devices, then Yamaha’s RX-V485 model is the best one for you. The Yamaha home theater systems deliver sound quality to another level by applying the professional grade-sound optimisation that analyses the room acoustics to create the best sound production. One of the essential hallmarks that makes this unit a big contender for the best surround sound system position is its MusicCast streaming service that’s utterly sublime.
All that’s required to put the surround sound system to work is to connect the MusicCast compatible devices to the network either manually or by using Alexa. That’s right, Yamaha as integrated the Alexa voice control that turns your cinema home into a smart one too. You can also easily sync your favourite songs between your smartphone or PC, and MusicCast will surely enhance them to absolute perfection.
- It allows you to connect wirelessly either by Bluetooth, Wi-Fi or AirPlay Wi-Fi.
- It uses several built-in streaming services.
- It supports Dolby ATMOS and DTS: X.
- It has a Virtual Presence function that produces a brilliant 3D sound.
- It allows you to sync two MusicCast devices and use them as rear speakers.
- It was noted that its connection with HDMI caused some lag.
- Some customers found the included remote somewhat tacky
Reliability and high-quality are the most distinguishable labels attributed to LG, and they’re best represented on the classic designed LHB645N 5.1 home surround sound system. Combined with 1000 Watts of room-filling sound, the LG unit is granted to provide with one of the best audio experiences to date. The set includes a combination of tallboy speakers and satellite ones that promote a better height and precision by creating a full sonic spectrum.
LG’s 5.1 surround sound system is fully compatible with most discs so that you can use it as a Blu-ray player too. Its advanced 3D technology creates a wondrous viewing experience that puts you in the incredible football game or dreadful horror film. LG’s smart interface, along with the sturdy components turn the traditional sound speakers into a full-on surround sound system that will keep you tied to your home as long as you have something to watch.
- It contains an ethernet port and Wi-Fi connection abilities.
- It has an FM antenna for playing the radio.
- Its small satellite speakers deliver a clear voice and impressive sound.
- It can be turned into a multi-room surround sound system.
- It has a private sound mode that lets you send sound from the Blu-ray player to your smartphone.
- Its ARC function from the TV is tricky to set-up.
- It doesn’t have any DSP features.
Among the best home speaker systems is also Yamaha’s YHT1840 home theatre kit that includes an AV receiver, four satellite speakers and a subwoofer. The 5.1 speaker combo offers one of the best spectacularly realistic sound systems thanks to its high-quality speakers capable of reproducing high-definition audio. The firm subwoofer also delivers a clear and robust bass that complements the home cinema system.
The Yamaha AV receiver is fully compatible with all HDMI inputs while transmitting one of the best signal 4K videos at 60 or 50 Hz. The speakers use a Yamaha-copyrighted audio configuration that produces an exceptionally high sound quality. The surround system also supports a fantastic DSP technology that provides a comprehensive sound system that will make you get chills.
- It has a compressed music enhancer feature that restores damaged MP3 files.
- It can get to work with a simple one-touch start button.
- It has a control panel that supports multiple languages.
- It has an ECO mode operation that uses 20% less energy.
- It uses a Dialogue Level Adjustment feature for the best sound balance with dialogue and vocals.
- Some customers reported that they experienced a white noise hum from the speaker.
- Its speakers are very lightweight so they may be more prone to damage.
Next in line is Sony’s HT-RT3 surround speakers that are one of the best surround sound systems robust-wise. If you get the Sony home theatre system, know that you’re also getting a long-lasting satisfaction guarantee because the AV receiver, two speakers and one subwoofer are a match made in heaven. The Dolby ATMOS, Digital and Mono-compatible home kit produces one of the most authentic surround sounds for all your entertainment needs.
The Sony sound system has a total energy production of 600 Watt that gives all your entertainment sources – whether they’re movies, tv-shows or music videos – the ideal sound quality they deserve. Perhaps the best part about the firm Sony speaker system is that you can get it to work almost instantly after unpacking the box. You plug it in, wire its speakers up, and enjoy the tidy experience of high-class audio streaming.
- It supports the One-Touch listening feature that’s compatible with NFC sharing or Bluetooth.
- It has an HDMI ARC output that simplifies the audio transmission process.
- It uses a USB port for smartphones, tablets and other USB devices.
- It offers one optical input socket for devices that are not compatible with HDMI.
- It supports an S-Master digital amplifier that produces a refined sound quality.
- It emits a rather loud cooling fan noise.
- Some customers reported that it experiences a delay when playing audio through its AUX port.
If you trust Sony but are looking to get something ‘fancier’ out of their collection, then you might want to consider the HT-RT4 home speaker system that has a more modern approach. The 5.1 home surround sound system uses 600 Wattage of power that will get the action bursting around you no matter what you’re watching. The five speakers and one subwoofer work evenly to produce the best full-frequency sound we love.
The home speaker system fully supports Dolby ATMOS, Dolby Digital and DTS formats, so it’s safe to say that its audio enhancement is taken more than seriously. Whether you want to bring movies and music to life or immerse your home in high-quality dramatic sounds, then you can’t go wrong with Sony.
- Its HDMI ARC allows you to connect to the TV for more natural control and fewer cables.
- It lets you use NFC or Bluetooth for streaming music.
- It has colour coded connections that make the installation process more comfortable.
- It includes two tall boy rear speakers and 3-1 stereo speakers.
- Its power consumption is just about 85 W.
- Its IR laser is tiny, so it doesn’t pick up its remote’s signal efficiently.
- Its stereo speakers are very tightly bound, so they don’t create an ideal surround sound effect.
To complete the Sony trilogy, we have included the BDV-E2100 home surround sound system because it truly is one of the best products online. As Sony puts it, this home cinema kit offers the best surround sound optimisation and joins it with secure connectivity. The results? A fantastic 800W 5.1 speakers system in the shape of four satellite speakers, one centre speaker and one subwoofer.
The notable Sony speakers system has also included the latest “sense of quartz” design that imitates the cut-glass edges of diamonds, bringing your living room a whole new and refined look. If you’ve had enough of your DVD library and want to open to a world full of online entertainment, Sony has still got your back. You can stream on-demand movies, catch-up TV and other streaming services by only using the Sony Entertainment Network app on your TV.
- It comes with a one-year warranty by Sony.
- Its bass boost feature delivers a precise and powerful sound.
- It’s compatible with Blu-ray and 3D video playing.
- Its One-Touch feature allows you to connect your smartphone devices by using NFC or Bluetooth.
- It comes with pre-installed channels like Netflix, YouTube, BBC iPlayer, BBC News, BBC Sport etc.
- Some customers noted that its set-up wasn’t straightforward.
- Its smart interface is rather slow.
If you’ve come to the end by anticipating the best and cheapest speakers, then you’ll be pleased to know that auna has manufactured a surround sound system that’s budget-friendly while being a more than worthy competitor. The 5.1 speakers system uses a wide sound range and differentiated adjustable volume that will transform your living space into a fantastic home cinema.
The central part of the speaker makes up the subwoofer that powers five different satellite speakers, each of which emits a 12 watt + 35 watts RMS power – thus producing an ideal surround audio experience. If you want more control with your speaker, you can easily use the included remote the fine-tune the surround sound output along with the speaker units or separate from them. Compatibility won’t be an issue either, since the speaker is compatible with RCA and able to read all smartphone, tablet, CD & MP3 player, laptop and TV formats effortlessly.
- It is compact-sized and easy to fit into different environments.
- Its subwoofer has a chassis with a low-reflex design that keeps vibration on a minimum and prevents unnecessary noise.
- It contains a sleep-timer feature for convenience.
- Its remote has separate volume control for each speaker.
- Good value for money.
- It emits a buzzing noise when it first powers on.
- Its included cables are rather short and flaky.
Home Cinema System Buying Guide
A 4K TV with the latest Blu-ray discs only takes you halfway to authentic theatric experience, while a proper speaker set-up makes you want to never leave. But how does one build a surround system, and what does one need? How do you position the speakers and how to choose the best ones? Do you need to throw out your entire TV because you can’t get it to shout the Vikings’ mighty roar as they intended it to? You probably need not take such drastic measures, but here’s what you need to know.
How Many Speakers?
The minimum amount you can settle for is three. You need a speaker or subwoofer to be in the centre and two rear ones. They usually make regular home cinemas by using a five-speaker build, with a centre speaker, a subwoofer, two left and right speakers and rear ones on either side of the room.
The best surround sound system is undeniably reached by adding extra subwoofers or Dolby ATMOS speakers, but they usually cost more and are more suited for larger entertainment areas.
You might have noticed odd numbers like 5.1 or 7.1, referring to channels. Primarily, the first number of this unit relates to the number of speakers within a system, whereas the second number entails the [lack of] subwoofer. Where there’s a third number, we have to do with a Dolby ATMOS speaker.
Does Size Matter?
Sometimes it does, especially when you want to create an immersive sound that only prominent speakers can provide. According to the manufactures, storing the speaker units behind the TV or other ‘hiding’ places will significantly reduce its sound quality, so we should position them out in the open.
However, you need not purchase 5.1 or 7.1 speakers that are huge in all their entirety but focus on the main rear ones. Tallboy speakers that are coupled with compact-sized satellite ones are usually ideal and sufficient for providing a good surround-system.
The reason surround system speakers are the best at giving a theatrical experience is that they process the output audio by enhancing it to a maximum. The most popular systems include Dolby Atmos that take existing sound signals by adding height channels that give the speakers a more realistic sound. Dolby Atmos is best suited for 3D playback, and it usually has to be purchased separately as an addition to your existing surround sound system. Other enhancement methods include (but are not limited to) Dolby Digital, DSP technology, DTS decoding, DTS: X and YPAO RSC.
Q: What is a home cinema system?
A: A home cinema or theatre system is a form of an ‘entertainment-unit’ that is often installed in living rooms or other home areas. It comprises a TV screen or projector, a source device like DVD or Blu-ray players, and a speaker unit that is usually set up in a way that it produces a surround sound system.
Q: What should I look for when buying a home theatre system?
A: The best home theatre systems come down to a simple and undeniable truth: speaker set-up. The more speakers your unit has, the richer your surround sound system gets. However, the number of speakers is less relevant than its quality, especially when it comes down to the processing, enhancement and transmitting features. Finding a good-enough product on a tight budget isn’t impossible either, so never settle for a worthless unit that will cost you more in the long run.
Q: What is the best wireless home theatre system?
A: The best wireless home theatre system is provided to us by Vmai while taking up the form of a full sound bar with an integrated subwoofer. The wireless sound system can be mounted on the wall and connected through via wireless, so the best convenience and functionality are provided.
Related Articles You May Be Interested In