Last Updated on January 20, 2022
Are you looking for a power tool that can cut accurate angles in wood, plastic or metal? Look no further than the mitre saw.
These bad boys are ideal for DIYers and professionals and can be used for all kinds of cutting angles when working with skirting boards, door frames, general woodwork and furniture pieces. Our best mitre saw review takes an in-depth look at some of the top models.
Product Testing & Comparison
Our reviewer used a specific set of guidelines to determine the best of the best for our list:
- Ease of use
- Special features
Our reviewer primarily focused on adaptability. This is because these tools aren’t super specialised, but they can do a lot of different things. The more that’s done to accommodate that, the better. Next up is the ease of use, which is important because it’s a power tool – we want easy, not mind-numbingly hard to learn to use.
Finally, we looked at what made each device unique. Things like laser guides and easy to use dust ports were big bonuses here. Now, enough of what we want – let’s see what’s best for you, shall we?
The Best Mitre Saws Reviewed In 2022
1. Multi Material Cutting Mitre Saw By Evolution Power Tools (Product #052-0001A)
- Dimensions: 73 x 70.5 x 36 cm
- Power Source: Corded electric
- Power/Wattage: 2000 Watts
The best mitre saw is the Multi-Material Cutting Mitre Saw By Evolution Power Tools. We gave it a 5/5 star rating.
Users who want quality don’t just stop at desiring. They go for whatever it is they desire, and if there is any power saw to be desired, it is the Evolution Multi-Material Sliding Mitre. This high-performance power sliding compound miter saw operates at a watt motor speed that provides the blade all the speed it requires.
This largely contributes to the pace at which this power mitre can allow accurate cuts due to its angle dept adjuster. Asides from coming at an affordable price, this sliding compound miter saw is easily stored and maintained at all times.
It is powered by a 2000-watt motor guaranteeing a speed of about 4500 RPM for 10 inches blade with 28 teeth. Its maximum cutting width is about 12 inches of 300 mm and can make bevel cuts of 300 x 30 mm to the left and right. The diameter of the dust extraction port is 38mm. You will like the affordability of this unit as well as its angle depth adjusters that have been provided for.
Also, users have gained confidence and trust in this great brand for the high-quality blades it provides across a range of different categories. That is why you can use it for making accurate and massive cuts at all times for the most satisfactory result.
Our reviewer loved this thing. It’s easy to use, extremely efficient and has a widely adaptable set of features. While its low(ish) cost means that it’s lacking in some areas, it’s also cheaper than several in this list.
- This sliding compound miter saw has great build quality which includes solid casting and aluminium base
- 2000W motor can allow it to cut almost any material quickly and provides accurate cuts in order to get the job done.
- Features 0 degrees to 45 degrees easy to set bevel angles to left and right
- High cutting capacity, which is best and most adequate option for tough lumber wood cutting job
- This sliding compound miter saw has cutting angles and depth adjusters included
- Certain features have been compromised because of the price
2. Double Bevel Sliding Mitre Saw By Evolution Power Tools (Product #053-0001B)
- Power Source:
Second place on our site goes to the Double Bevel Sliding Mitre Saw By Evolution Power Tools. We gave it a 4.5/5 star rating.
This is, for all intents and purposes, the little brother of our #1 choice. It boasts all of the same bits and bobs, with slightly lower power and performance.
Our reviewer found that it’s a great all-around mitre saw, but that it tends to struggle with specialised work due to a lower power level than our #1 device. If you need adaptability, get #1 – if you want bang for your buck, get #2.
- This double bevel model features a laser cutting guide that has a power switch included in it
- Has a lot of miter positive stops for easy adjustments
- Has a patented, versatile cutting blade that can be used for a range of accurate cuts and bevels
- The blade is designed with high technology that optimizes heat
- Powerful motor will allow it to cut perfectly and have fine cuts.
- This sliding compound miter saw has high cutting capacity.
- Accessory pack includes dust collector.
- Double bevel function is great for crown mouldings.
- The saw blade is a general purpose blade that many times don’t work well for specific tasks
3. Double Insulation Electric Saw By Makita (Product #MLS100/2)
- Dimensions: 53 x 48 x 37.5 cm
- Power Source: Corded electric
- Power/Wattage: 1500 Watts
Third place goes to the Double Insulation Electric Saw By Makita. We gave it a 4.5/5 star rating.
Are you looking for the best single bevel saw from an established brand for precise cuts? Then you should look out for the Makita MLS100 Electric mitre saw. This cross-cut bevel saw is the best sliding compound mitre saw being sold in the market today.
Where there has been some claim by users that certain features of this saw have been compromised, its reliability and affordability are major advantages. Its lightweight of about 14.7kg or 32.5 lbs (pounds) is a plus, and that is why you won’t have issues with its manoeuvre. It is fortified with a motor of 1500 Watts with the ability to generate a speed of about 4200 RPM, and that is why no one can dispute the effectiveness of this one bevel model.
The sturdiness of and balance of this single bevel cutting tool has largely increased this sliding compound mitre saw sale across several platforms. You will find it a very comfortable compact mitre saw to use for precise cuts. Among other electric mitre saws, it has also been able to establish for itself a place of excellence with the high-quality carbide blades being provided.
Our reviewer quite liked this. She noted that those who don’t make wide crosscut often may have a hard time with this due to its limit of uses, but she loved it nonetheless. It’s efficient, well-made, and easy to use.
- This single bevel model has a sturdy extension arms support that makes working on larger pieces much easier
- A transparent blade guard is included to enhance visibility
- Powerful, effective motor will allow it to cut perfectly and have accurate bevel cuts.
- A soft start and electric brake is also provided to ensure security while in use
- This slide compound saw features a built-in dust collection system feature
- Easy to set, miters 0 to 45 degrees left and right
- Max miter cut at 90º angles – 75 mm
- You need to know that it may not be the best option for users who don’t make wide crosscuts frequently
4. Sliding Mitre Saw By Evolution Power Tools (Product #048-0001A)
- Dimensions: 61 x 57.5 x 31.4 cm
- Power Source: Corded electric
- Power/Wattage: 1500 watts
Fourth place goes to the Sliding Mitre Saw By Evolution Power Tools. We gave it a 4.5/5 star rating.
Another mitre saw from the Evolution brand makes it for our 4th pick, and it is the Evolution Multi-Material Sliding Mitre Saw. This has across several sliding compound mitre saws reviews qualified as one of the best sliding compound mitre saws under £200. Notwithstanding the affordability of this sliding compound mitre saw, its features are still intact and very much reliable.
Coming as a good looking 10-inch sliding compound mitre saw, this is the best value sliding compound mitre saw for every woodworker. It features a 10 inches, 255 mm blade with the ability to cut larger pieces as full as 300 mm. The mere fact that this mitre saw has all its features compact and utterly irrespective of the price it is being sold is the major reason you will like it. You will find the price to quality ratio, which is one of the best in the market, very attractive as well.
The high-quality material in terms of design and blade are notable features of this quality mitre saw. These features, by extension, are what is making this cutting tool user-friendly to both professionals and beginners alike.
Another favourite of our reviewer, this thing is a beast. It is incredibly adaptable and highly durable, though it does have one large downside that kept it from the top 3. Its maintenance costs are… quite high.
- Made from a high-quality material making it a very durable and reliable sliding compound miter saw
- User-friendly features make it easy and extra safe to use at all times
- Great motor will allow it to cut perfectly and have accurate bevel cuts.
- Complete and comprehensive features not compromised for price that provide great value for the money
- This slide compound model includes a dust collector.
- 0-45 degree easy to set bevel angles to left and right and 50-50 Degree mitre setting.
- The maintenance cost and design of this sliding compound miter saw may still be an area that will need to be worked on
5. Accurate Compound Mitre Saw By Evolution Power Tools (Product #046-0001A)
- Dimensions: 42 x 29 x 32 cm
- Power Source: Corded electric
- Power/Wattage: 1200 watts
Fifth place goes to the Accurate Compound Mitre Saw By Evolution Power Tools. We gave it a 4.5/5 star rating.
The Evolution Multipurpose Slide Compound Miter saw has enjoyed a place across many reviews online. This is because irrespective of the growing trend in the mitre saw the market, users still appreciate the versatility. First, because of the price that can be saved and the use of only one piece of equipment for several tasks helps to free up space.
This is, however, not all about this slide compound mitre saw as it also has a fantastic design that enhances the overall look of your workshop while still getting the work done. With a maximum width of 200 mm and a diameter blade of 8.5 inches, this is the perfect unit to buy for optimum performance. A powerful 1200W motor will allow it to cut perfectly and have accurate cuts. It has the capability of generating about 4,000 RPM so that you can achieve your desired cuts.
You will like the fantastic price to quality ratio of this sliding compound mitre saw, especially since they are also able to enjoy some features being possessed by the expensive ones. This affordable price stresses its maintenance as a little cost is needed to maintain and keep this sliding compound mitre saw in top working condition at all times.
Our reviewer loved this thing. It’s super easy to use, low-maintenance both in terms of work and cost, and is super powerful. While its blade needs regular replacement, it’s not a huge downside. However, its lack of guidance or a dust collector is a bit of a bummer.
- This sliding miter saw has excellent features and affordable price
- Low cost of maintenance and easy to use & clean features that will get the job finished.
- Powerful motor will allow it to cut perfectly and have accurate cuts.
- Features a fantastic design making it easy to manoeuvre on a workpiece
- 0-45 Degree easy to set bevel angles to left and right
- 45-45 Degree mitre settings, 125 x 55 maximum cross cut capacity
- Replacing the blade may be very difficult and gets it gets blunt quick.
- Dust collector and laser guidance are not included with this slide compound unit.
6. Sliding Single Bevel Mitre Saw By Vonhaus (Product #B06ZY2LMW4)
- Dimensions: 57 x 73 x 100 cm
- Power Source: Corded electric
- Power/Wattage: 2000 watts
Sixth place goes to the Sliding Single Bevel Mitre Saw By Vonhaus. We gave it a 4/5 star rating.
Our 6th pick on this best mitre saw reviews in the UK is the Compound Powerful Performance Mitre Saw of the Vonhaus brand. The versatility of this mitre saw has been expressed mainly by subsisting users across many compound mitre saw reviews online.
As a woodworker, depending on your workspace, it is always best that you create space for your comfort. Having too many tools can make your workshop all choked up. This is why the best option is to have a piece of equipment that can carry out more than one task at a time. This Vonhaus single bevel sliding mitre saw is one of those versatile tools available that can help you spare time and cost.
It generates a cutting power of about 4200 RPM and does it silently. With a straight cut measurement of 120 x 40 mm and bevel cut measurement to the left of 120 x 20 mm, you certainly cannot be wrong with this unit. Its high cutting power generation makes work a whole lot easier and faster for woodworkers.
Our reviewer loved this thing. It’s powerful, efficient, and comes from a well-known brand. While its reduced price means that some cuts have been made in terms of features, it’s still a solid little budget choice.
- An excellent and reputable brand known for quality blades
- Powerful motor allows it to cut perfectly and have smooth cuts any day.
- Inclusion of a safety lever lock to assure security while not in use
- Compact and quality aluminium material makes it very durable
- Includes a dust collector and a laser guide which will make your job easy
- 10 inch blade and higher powered motor give much better range of uses
- Features strong left and right side support handle bars
- Reduced price has widely discouraged users from buying this unit.
9. Multipurpose Table/Mitre Saw By Evolution Power Tools (Product #067-0001)
- Dimensions: 42 x 40 x 31 cm
- Power Source: Corded electric
- Power/Wattage: 1200 watts
Ninth place goes to the Multipurpose Table/Mitre Saw By Evolution Power Tools. We gave it a 4/5 star rating.
The Evolution FURY6 Multipurpose Table Mitre saw is a dual table and mitre saw. Though coming a bit weighty, the excellent design of this saw has been a notable feature. This design allows for users to be able to place all the tools needed to work with the cutting tool before work commences.
Notwithstanding the plurality of features, this is still the best budget mitre saw comes with a mitre cut and a carbide blade. The straight cut dimension of this mitre cut is 225 x 45 mm while the bevel cut dimensions to the left measure 225 x 35 mm.
You will like the sturdy adjustable blade head of this quality mitre table saw. You will find it very convenient to use as you can adjust it while working with it to suit the task. Being an adjustable blade, you don’t need to change it from time to time for specific tasks as it will get almost any job done.
The quite outstanding feature of this good looking model is the rotating calibrated gauge to keep the rotation in check. This way, you don’t miss out on the actual size and type of cross-cut that is to be affected. The laser guide and laser lights that are provided will enhance the quality of your jobs.
Our reviewer quite liked this. It’s easy to use, extremely adaptable and has a suite of modern features. However, its build is occasionally flimsy in smaller bits, and the dust port only works with certain vacuums. Otherwise, though, this is a solid choice.
- Comes with a great saw head and a sturdy blade fence that protects the blade and the user while in use
- Its table rotating calibrated gauge for effective and easy to set, controlled rotation
- Great hi torque motor provides accurate cuts and enables this cutting unit to cut any material in order to get the job done.
- Laser guide and back lit LED lights provided for convenience and accurate outcomes
- The material build is such that the reliability is only for a limited time
- Users found the dust port will not work with every vacuum
- This is not a sliding model
10. DIY Compound Mitre Saw By Silverline (Product #262705)
- Dimensions: 47.8 x 29.4 x 29.4 cm
- Power Source: Corded electric
Tenth place goes to the DIY Compound Mitre Saw By Silverline. We gave it a 3.5/5 star rating.
Silverline is not a household name in the mitre saw the market, but every unit that has been provided for by this brand has been known to be of top quality and high performing in nature. The Silverline 262705 Compound Mitre Saw is a 1400 watt motor unit that fits in well for a range of different timber and woodworking cutting projects.
It is made up of great adjustable blades, locks and a sheath to keep the blade safe while not in use. It comes at a very affordable price but has its weight pose a significant challenge. Its weight makes it a bit difficult for users to be able to manoeuvre the tool while working with it. Overall, this is an affordable, reliable and durable cutting tool that is worth it.
It has a maximum width of 210 mm and a diameter blade of 8 inches, making it easier for you to get the most satisfactory cuts.
Our reviewer found that this was a great budget model. While it lacks a few handy features, it’s super affordable and does its job quite well, nonetheless. If you don’t need to slide this around you’ll love it – just be prepared for expensive repairs should anything go awry.
- Good looking, very solid and sturdy model that will get the job done
- 1400W motor enables it to cut perfectly and have accurate cuts in order to get the job done.
- Comes with a 3-year warranty that covers the performance of the unit
- A great budget work saw for DIYers
- Includes clamp, fence, dust bag, rear stabiliser and high performance blade
- Features 0 – 45 degrees easy to set bevel angle and miter cut
- Maintenance of this miter saw is very high and time taking
- Not a sliding model, making it less attractive to users
Mitre Saw Buying Guide
You should undertake every home project with the utmost seriousness. Whether you are fitting carpet underlay or building a dog house, the right tools will ensure that you get everything right. Get the best hammer drill, telescopic ladder, table saw, MIG welder, dust bag, and router table. For your safety, get the best safety boots.
A mitre saw, especially, will get every angled cut perfectly. But not every mitre saw will provide such preciseness, you need the best model, and we will show you how to select it.
Is the Mitre Saw Corded or Cordless?
One of the essential considerations we recommend to make when purchasing a new mitre saw is to determine whether you want a corded or cordless tool.
In making this decision, you need to consider the price to be incurred and the comfort you desire. Cordless mitre saws are known to be in vogue and more purchased in the market today.
This is because of how easy to move around and use they are. Getting cordless mitre saws requires a lot of costs and some additional costs that come with purchasing other accessories like battery and charger.
The corded miter saws, on the other hand, are helpful for individuals who do not want to face issues of power shortage.
They are also known to be very durable and less expensive than cordless mitre saws.
When purchasing corded mitre saws, make sure to pay attention to the power lead and ensure it is quality or goes for an extension lead. For the cordless mitre saws, it is best if you decide to buy from a brand that offers a range of products sharing similar batteries to cover up for the expensive cost it comes at.
The Power of the Mitre Saw
There is a direct and very delicate relationship between the blade of a mitre saw and its power. Also, cordless and corded mitre saws differ in cutting power. Mitre saws with top quality blade types are typically more powered than those with fewer quality blades or the wrong blades. The material combination of the blade and the mitre saw can also affect the cutting capacity of the mitre saw.
Corded mitre saws generally come with a blade of about ten inches or its equivalent. This type of mitre saw works at a cutting capacity of 15 amps, which is not so with the cordless mitre saw. Since batteries are powering cordless mitre saws, their cutting capacity depends on the voltage of the battery that is powering them. Cordless mitre saws are being generally powered by a battery of 18 volts running at the speed of about 5,000 RPM.
The Weight of the Mitre Saw
The type of mitre saw largely determines the load/weight of mitre saws. This variation is what makes it very important for buyers to know when choosing. Mitre saws are broadly divided into three types you can choose from, which are the basic, the Compound and the sliding Compound. A load of mitre saws also moves in this same progression. The basic saws are usually lightweight when compared to the compound mitre saws.
Conversely, the sliding compound mitre saws are usually always weightier than the compound mitre saws. The cordless mitre saws are usually lighter than the corded ones. Cordless mitre saws with high battery capacities are usually always heavier than those with less battery capacity.
The size of the mitre saw usually determines the ease of storage and usage. Lightweight mitre saws are known to be more user-friendly and easy to clean and store than heavyweight mitre saws.
The Blade of the Mitre Saw
Generally, every mitre saw type has a particular blade designed to fit such a saw. This is why it is essential that you buy from a reputable brand with a blade history that can be trusted. It is not always good to change the blades that come with mitre saw often. This is because incompatibility of the blade can affect the overall functioning of the mitre saw.
However, changing the blade might be inevitable when it gets blunt, or a blade needs to be fit for a specific purpose. Blades differ, but experts think that it is always best to search for mitre saws with carbide blades. Also, when getting a mitre saw, make sure to buy one whose blade can be easily purchased. This makes replacement very easy and effective if and when the one that comes with, it goes blunt.
What are The Different Features?
When purchasing the best mitre saw, there are certain features that people find handy. These features are essential features that a mitre saw should have for comfortable and practical usage. These handy features in a mitre saw includes an electric brake, a comprehensive warranty plan, a lever lock and a guide amongst others.
Comprehensive Mitre Saw Warranty Plan
Power tools are tools that can be prone to defect from the manufacturer. So for users to be sure that they are protected when purchasing, they always like to go for a mitre saw with a warranty plan. Buyers over time find mitre saws with a comprehensive warranty plan handier than those that lack them. These warranty plans could vary from 2 years to 3 years or 5 years as the case may be. An extended warranty can give you all the security you need when purchasing a new mitre saw.
A Safety Lever Lock
Safety is one major factor to consider when using cutting tools as a mitre saw. This safety is a three-way thing that includes protection for the user, security for the tool, and protection for the third party. This is why a lever lock is a convenient feature in a mitre saw. This lever lock keeps the mitre saw firmly locked while not in use. This way, it doesn’t turn on accidentally, especially when being tampered with by children or third parties not familiar with its operation.
An Electric Brake and Laser Guide
An electric brake and laser guide are additional features that not all mitre saws in the market possess. The electric brake helps to bring to a pause the mitre saw while in use. This helps to control the speed of the blade, especially when a type of bevel or straight cut is required.
The laser guide, on the other hand, helps in keeping the user in check per time. With the guide, a more precise bevel cut can be achieved and an excellent finish as well. Mitre saws with these additional features are usually always more expensive than others and also more functional.
Mitre Saw Buying FAQs
Q: What is a mitre saw?
A: Saws are of a range of different types, one of which is a mitre saw. Mitres saws also come in a range of types which include the basic/ standard, the Compound and the sliding Compound. Mitre saws are used to cut pieces into desired shapes in the most precise way possible. They are either corded or cordless, and they come in a range of shapes and sizes.
A mitre saw is mostly used for cross cuts, straight cuts and angled cuts among others. It is the best cutting unit for professional and DIY projects like framing, flooring and trimming, among others.
Q: What is a compound mitre saw?
A: A compound mitre saw is a type of mitre saw that comes with a rotating saw table and a tilted arm’s angle of descent. What this means is that the blade of a compound mitre saw unlike that of a basic mitre saw can tilt to the left or right side. This tilting ability is what allows for single bevel-cut and double bevel cuts. With a compound mitre saw, a woodworker can work several bevel cuts without having to reposition the workpiece from time to time.
The only limitation to a compound mitre saw is its blade. The longer or shorter the blade of a compound mitre saw is, the longer or shorter its bevel cut will be.
Q: How to use a mitre saw
A: In using a mitre saw, you need to know that, unlike other cutting tools, it is a very versatile tool. With its versatility comes a high sense of care, which will make security the primary consideration when using a mitre saw. Before starting with a mitre saw, make sure that you are well clothed with the appropriate clothes you need for work. These clothing should include protection glasses, face masks and ear defenders.
When protection has been secured, go on to prepare the work environment. To start work, secure your piece with your hands to keep the piece firmly attached to the fence. Set the mitre bevel angles to what is desired for the workpiece and clasp them together firmly. Turn on the saw and wait until the blade attains full speed before driving into the wood until the cut is complete as desired angles. Don’t forget to attach a dust bag for dust collection.
Q: How to make a mitre box
A: Making a mitre box can be done through a cross-cut using a mitre saw. First, you start by measuring the workpiece and cutting them into the desired angle and size. Then each angle is bevelled up against the other and then you cut. After cutting each side of the piece is fastened against the other until your box is created.
Q: Table saw, or mitre saw
A: Saws are of different types, and as much as we have mitre saws, we also have table saws. Table saws are not just the most massive power saws but are also the most common amongst woodworkers. Table saws are either benchtop or stationary. The smaller and portable versions are the benchtop while the larger ones are stationary.
While table saws are very common, mitre saws are very much versatile. Mitre saws can do almost everything that can be done with a table saw and even more. This is why it is best for a woodworker to opt for a mitre saw above saw – to save cost and avoid plurality of tools.
Additional Readings You May Enjoy