Last Updated on September 21, 2021
Identity theft is on the rise and while most of us worry about online security, we forget about the personal paperwork we have lying around that can easily be stolen and used to commit fraud.
If you want to effectively destroy personal information, check out our best paper shredder review. We highlight some of the best models on the market plus their unique features.
The Best Paper Shredders Reviewed In 2021
The best paper shredder is the Micro-Cut Paper And Credit Card Shredder By AmazonBasics. We gave it the best 5/5 star rating.
It’s a high-security micro-cut paper and credit card shredder. It protects classified data and confidential records. It has a max capacity of shredding six sheets per pass. In auto mode, it senses the items and starts working. Anything which goes through the slot becomes useless. Its fine shredded paper creates dust in the bin. The manual reverse function helps to clear paper jams.
It’s best for shredding confidential and sensitive data. It’s good value for money for light use. It’s backed by a one year warranty. The high security shredder shreds credit cards, CDs, and DVDs one at a time. It can handle staple pins on papers.
This device needs 30 minutes to cool after three minutes of continuous run time. Its thermal protection will auto shut off protecting the motor. It has an auto start and manual reverse function. It has a low noise level.
- This micro cut shredder cuts six times smaller pieces as compared to other best paper shredders.
- Can shred 6 sheets per run.
- The best paper shredder has a high level of P4 security.
- It has 30 minutes of cooling time. This is a short cooling period as compared to other best paper shredders.
- Security level P-4
- The high security shredder shreds credit cards, CDs, as well as DVDs one at a time.
- The shredded paper creates dust in the bin thanks to powerful shredding. This may need to be cleaned often with extra care.
Second best shredder you can get is the Strip Cut Shredder With Cd Shred By AmazonBasics. We gave the best rating – 5/5 stars.
It is a sturdy strip cut shredder, which shreds CDS and credit cards one at a time. It works at an impressive speed, and best for envelopes and bank statements. There’s no need to remove staples and pins. Its auto-start mode enhances smooth operations.
Also, this device can fit under the desk or workstation. It needs 15 minutes of cool time after two minutes of running. It is good value for money if you’re in search for a light-duty strip cut shredder.
This best model has 8 sheets capacity and shreds in long strips. It’s auto mode sensors make its use easy, and there is a separate slot for Cd cuts in four pieces. The 12 litre capacity of wastebasket is a relief. Users also have the reverse function to clear paper jams. In case of overheating, it will automatically shut off. This way you don’t risk damage.
- The best 8 sheets capacity
- Its light-duty strip cut shredder which shreds CDS and credit cards one at a time.
- It needs a short 15 minutes of cooling time.
- The wide strip cut property don’t secure sensitive information.
Third best shredder to buy is the Paper Shredder By Aurora. We gave it a 4.5/5 star rating.
It’s great for home and business. It cuts the paper in small pieces which makes it secure. Thanks to the thermal Overload function, it works without getting hot. It will work without jam if you’re using 10-12 sheets of paper at a time. In the case of jam, reverse function clears it.
Also, it has a safety function. The shredder stops at an instant if a finger or anything gets forced in. Buyers don’t have to lift the heavy machine because of castors. People who bought this love its wheels which make it convenient to move it to the desired place.
It has excellent performance and elegant design at a low price. The cross-cut paper shredder cuts staples, paper, and credit card with ease. It has a separate slot for shredding CDs and DVDs.
Its big waste pull-out basket stands out. The basket has a capacity of 18 litres and a viewing window. Its safety makes it user-friendly and reliable.
- It can shred DVDs, credit cards and staples with ease
- This home office shredder can shred 10-12 sheets at a time.
- This small office shredder has an auto mode
- It has a safety feature which makes it stop at an instant if you accidentally force anything in it.
- This best shredder has wheels which means it is convenient to move around.
- The best shredder is a little noisy
Fourth best shredding device is the Cross-Cut Shredder For Paper By HSM. We gave it a 4.5/5 star rating.
A perfect model for a small office or home to protect sensitive data. It’s safe for sensitive data. It cross-cuts paper and credit cards into small pieces. There’s a separate slot for CD. The CD unit has its separate wastebasket.
If there is a jam automatic return feature clears it. The LED indicator on the machine shows three operating status. It has a waste level indicator. You can see the waste level from the front through a clear window. Removing the housing top will make it convenient to empty the 18 Liter waste-basket.
HSM 5 Sheet Paper shredder is a good value for money. This model has received few reviews on Amazon and most of these reviews are positive. Users love it for its white colour and low noise level.
The low noise level makes it perfect for a quiet workplace. It’s efficient and convenient. Its separate CD slot has its wastebasket. This device has an LED indicator and level indicator for a waste container. It provides a high P4 security level.
- Its noise level is very low. So its best for a quiet environment.
- It cross-cuts paper and credit cards into small particles.
- We find the best shredder white color very nice
- It has a low capacity. You can shred 4-5 sheets of paper at a time.
Fifth best shredding device is the Cross-Cut Paper And Credit Card Shredder Machine By Bonsaii. We gave it a 4.5/5 star rating.
The cross cut shredder can shred 10 sheets of paper per pass. It shreds staples and credit cards. It’s a brilliant shredder with no noise. It’s convenient to empty its huge wastebasket. The auto-start and stop function makes it user-friendly. Buyers don’t have to worry about paper jams because it has reverse feature.
Its transparent window helps you see when the basket is full. The thermal protection system protects the motor from overheating. It’s convenient to move it around with wheels. It gives the user the best experience with a one year warranty. Customer reviews show it shreds credit cards in long strips. They find it a good value for money for medium operation.
The bin has a large capacity of 21 litres. You can see the bin from the transparent window. It has a 4 minute continuous run time and needs forty minutes to cool. The handle on top makes the waste disposal easy. The auto-start function senses paper. The reverse system helps to clear paper jams.
- Its quiet doesn’t produce much noise which we find amazing
- The cross-cut shredder can shred 10 sheets of paper per pass, and also can shred credit cards.
- If it exceeds the run time it will turn off to avoid overheating
- The waste basket has a large capacity of 21 liters.
- It has no separate slot for recycling and shredding Cds or DVDs.
Sixth best shredding unit is the Cut Paper Shredder For Home Use By Fellowes. We gave it a 4.5/5 star rating.
It cross cut documents in tiny pieces. People can ensure the shredding of confidential papers. Its lightweight and size make it tuck under the desk. It has compact design so you can hide it when not using. It’s best for home and shredding bank statements.
It performs excellent with low volumes of shredding. The reverse system rotates the cutters backwards to remove the paper. It needs oiling after each full bin for maintenance. This Fellowes shredder fill meets personal needs. According to the amazon reviews, it’s a good value for money.
Also, this Fellowes device shreds papers, credit card and staples ensuring security. It has a feature which prevents accidental activation. It shreds for continuous three minutes before cooling down for 30 minutes. It even has a spacious 11-litre waste-basket.
- Its locks give peace of mind if the user has children at home
- It has an electronic reverse system.
- It is quiet and can shred 6 sheets of paper at a time.
- Also, this small office shredder shreds papers, credit card and staples ensuring security.
- It needs lot of maintenance. You need to lubricate it each time after emptying a full bin.
- The tiny transparent window makes it hard to see the bin.
Seventh best shredding unit you can get is the Cross Cut Paper Shredder By Zoomyo. We gave it a 4/5 star rating.
This machine meets the General Data Protection Regulation. It has won the price and performance winner award. It’s user-friendly due to its Automatic start sensor. You can get rid of your data with this cross-cut shredder without worrying.
It shreds up to eight sheets of paper in one go. It will need one hour to get back to normal after three minutes of continuous working. The pull out bin has a capacity of 14 Liters. You don’t need to remove the blades to take out waste paper. It’s convenient to move the shredder with its four wheels.
This device is convenient to assemble this shredder. Most customers have given positive reviews on Amazon. They love shredder’s performance for home. It offers good value for money and its simple functions make it perfect for home.
Besides, it has a separate container for Cds, and it is convenient to empty the pullout bin. It will go wherever you need it with four 360 degrees wheels. The thermal cut out option saves it from overheating.
- You can throw shredded paper in the bin without worry.
- It fits under any desk due to its small size and dimensions.
- Shreds Paper, cd, DVD, Credit Card.
- Can shred 10 sheets of paper at a time.
- It has a P4 security level according to DIN standard.
- This budget unit is nice and quiet.
- No LED lights to indicate switch on or off.
Eighth best shredder in this guide is the Personal Shredder By Fellowes. We gave it a 4/5 star rating.
Fellowes 5 Sheet Paper shredder is a cross-cut personal shredder. It’s brilliant for small household. You can shred junk mail and bills. The machine doesn’t take up much space. Its cutting blades look strong and sturdy.
They’re powerful enough to shred papers with staple pins. The lift head bin holds 12 litres of waste. You need to empty it on a regular basis to avoid paper jams. The lock system prevents accidental activation. Customers suggest oiling it after every full bin of shredding.
It’s a good machine and something to consider for light usage. The compact design and size make it perfect for small personal usage. The safety systems turn it off if you try more sheets of paper at once. Fellowes is good value for money for short frequent usage.
Also, its lock keeps children safe from it. Its bin has 12 litres waste capacity. Its manual reverse systems overcome the issue of paper jam. This Fellowes home unit has internal features and thermal overload protection. It runs non-stop for two minutes and needs twenty minutes of cooling time.
- It’s safe for a house with children due to its lock technology.
- It small in size with a compact design
- Also shreds credit card, staples and paper clips, asides of 5-6 sheets of paper at a time
- This small home office shredder is easy to handle
- It doesn’t have transparent window to see the bin.
Ninth best shredder is the Cross-Cut Shredder With Waste Bin By Aurora brand. We gave it a 4/5 star rating. You can take a close look at the price and details on the Amazon store page.
It cross cut documents in tiny particles. People can ensure the shredding of confidential papers. Its lightweight and size make it tuck under the desk. Due to its compact design, you can hide it. It’s ideal for home and shredding bank statements.
It performs excellent with low volumes of shredding. The reverse system rotates the cutters backwards to remove the paper. It needs oiling after each full bin for maintenance. This little home shredder helps you protect from identity theft. Its security meets the P3 level. According to the Amazon reviews, it’s a good value for money.
The home shredders safety cover acts as a stop for forced entries. It shreds papers, credit cards and staples ensuring security. It has a safety feature, which prevents accidental activation. Also, it shreds continuously for three minutes before cooling down for half an hour. It has a spacious 14-litre waste-basket. The home shredder cover works as it handles to lift.
- It has an convenient to lift the waste-basket
- It has a big viewing panel to see when the bin gets full.
- It’s necessary to carry out frequent maintenance. People think it may need lubrication after each full bin of shredded sheets.
Tenth best shredder is the Cross-Cut Paper Shredder By Bonsaii. We gave it a 3/5 star rating.
It’s a cross cut shredder. It’s perfect for the home office. It shreds the 12 sheets of paper in one go. The micro-cut shredder secures personal and confidential information. It destroys CDs, DVDs and credit cards. The reverse system helps to clear out jams. Its bin has a huge capacity of 21 Liters.
Customers love it for its simple attributes. The handle on top makes lifting easy. The suppliers on amazon provide a fast delivery within 2 days. They provide excellent customer service. The home office shredder comes together with a one-year warranty. The handle on the top makes it stand out from other best paper shredders.
This function makes it convenient to empty the shredder. The micro-cut shredding gives you peace of mind keeping information safe. In auto start mode shredding begins when the paper is inserted. Its thermal protection function protects the motor from overheating. The small home office model will stop and cool itself.
- This home office shredder has an automatic cooling system.
- In auto mode, automatic shredding starts.
- This small home office shredder has simple functions so it is easy to maintain every day.
- Its size and style make the transport comfortable.
- When it overheats and takes more than 20 minutes to get back to normal.
- It may not sustain a high level of continuous shredding
Paper Shredder Buying Guide
No adventure should be without a budget action camera, no home should lack a rechargeable torch, and every gamer should have a quality budget gaming chair. Similarly, every office should have a paper shredder.
It gets rid of sensitive documents that cannot be disposed of in a dustbin, to keep them from falling in the wrong hands. We will show you how to choose the best paper shredder for your office.
How to Choose a Paper Shredder
It’s necessary to check the sheet capacity of the shredder when choosing the right one. Offices need shredders with a large sheets capacity. Whereas shredders with small quantity are suitable for homes. We have learned from review to shred fewer sheets than its quantity.
A paper shredder can be dangerous. Inspect additional safety functions. It should auto stop if hands touch the paper slot. Buy a shredder with a warranty. It should have a standard one-year warranty.
The buyer should find the average run time of the shredder. It is going to depend on your need. The time varies between 2 -40 minutes. If you’re looking for a shredder for home usage then 5-10 minute is enough.
Some home shredders don’t shred items other than paper. A buyer should read this before purchasing. For businesses and office use it’s important to shred non paper items.
Different shredders have different cuts. Choose the shredder according to your security needs. If you want to shred sensitive data then micro-cut is the best choice.
Paper shredders with pull-out bins are convenient. You can empty the bin by pulling out the drawer.
Features to Look Out for in a Paper Shredder
• Busy offices need a shredder with continuous motor duty. It has longer run times and doesn’t need to cool down.
• A shredder can be dangerous. It’s necessary to look for safety functions. These include auto mode, overheating and overfeeding.
• A wide range of shredders make a lot of noise. No one wants to work in a noisy environment. Look for the shredders with low levels.
• A shredder should have castors if you keep shifting furniture. They make transport easy.
• You need to check the security level before purchasing. Shredders with high security features cut the paper in smaller sizes.
• Speed is an important for office. No one wants to sit back and wait for the shredding. You should look for a shredder with high speed.
• The buyer should check the bin capacity. Shredders with large bin capacity save the time of changing bags.
• It should have an anti-jam and reverse function.
• Check for the self-oiling and self-sharpening functions of the shredder. These functions increase the service life of the shredder.
Types of Paper Shredder
There are three types of shredders based on cuts.
Strip-cut: They have rotating blades to cut the paper in long strips. They’re less secure. Someone with patience can reveal the information from these long strips. You can shred the non-confidential document with them.
Cross cut: They utilize blades to cut the paper in tiny square or diamond shape. They are popular shredders for home and business. They shred documents and credit cards. Many shredders have separate slots for CDs. They’re available with different functions.
Micro-cut: They shred the papers in tiny particles. It’s safe to shred sensitive data. Agencies are using these shredders to secure their confidential documents. It’s impossible to retrieve the information from micro-cut shredding.
Durability of a Paper Shredder
Many durable shredders have self-oiling and self-sharpening function. Regular cleaning improves shredders service life. The durability of paper shredder depends on the volumes of sheets. It overheats in the long run and needs breaks to cool down. Its life can decrease with continuous usage. Don’t push anything with force in the shredders. Industrial heavy duty shredders are reliable and durable. They have large trays for feed and can work for long run time.
Factors to Consider Before Buying a Paper Shredder
We have listed the factors below to keep in mind before you get a shredder.
• You should know the reason for purchasing the shredder. It’s vital to know your need. You can decide to buy a heavy duty shredder for industry. For normal use buy a standard office shredder.
• Keep security factors in mind. It helps you decide which type of shredder to buy. Micro cut shredders ensure a high-security level. Buy this shredder to dispose of documents and credit cards.
• Make sure your shredder can shred pins, staples and other thick non-paper items.
• Paper jam happens frequently. Ensure your shredder has an anti-jam function. Paper jamming slows down the shredding process.
• One vital factor includes speed and power. For busy offices, you need high speed and power.
• It’s necessary to check additional functions of the shredders. These functions include auto-shutoff, safety feature and more.
Paper Shredder Buying FAQs
Q: How do I use a paper shredder?
- 1Paper shredders power shred the document in tiny particles.
- 2Plug the paper shredder.
- 3You should know if your paper shredder can shred the staple and paper clips. Otherwise might break the shredder.
- 4Place the paper sheets in the slot and don’t force push. The shredder starts taking the paper as the paper touch the blades. Don’t fold the sheets.
- 5Don’t exceed the sheets capacity mention on manual. In the case of paper jams use the reverse system. It clears the jam.
- 6Insert Cards and CDs in their separate slot.
- 7The small paper pieces may start falling back from the bin. Empty the waste-basket before its full.
- 8Keep your fingers and other sharpened materials away from the shredder slits.
- 9Don’t run it more than suggested time on manual. It will shorten its life. Give it a break to avoid overheating. Most shredders will have an auto cool system.
Q: How can I clean, maintain and sharpen my paper shredder?
- 1It’s important to clean the paper shredder regularly. Unplug the shredder before you start cleaning. Lift the lid and wipe the dust. You can Clean the lid or any ink marks with a paper towel. You can use a cotton swab for hard areas. Use Dish soap or lukewarm water and let it air dry. Paper pieces start falling back if the waste-basket is full. You can run the reverse function to clear out paper pieces jammed. Avoid putting papers with glue on them.
- 2Oil all paper shredders for maintenance. Use shredder oil to ensure its full efficiency. Lubricating the shredder increases machine life. Lubricate the machine when you are not using it. Squeeze the bottle on blades and. Run the machine in reverse function and it should only take a few minutes. You can shred a few papers afterward to remove any excess. You can coat shredder oil on paper sheets and feed them to the shredder for oiling. Using anything other than shredder oil will damage the machine.
- 3Shredder’s blade starts wearing down after some time. Few shredders have self-sharpening blades. You can use aluminum foil to sharpen if its self-sharpening function. Run a few sheets from the shredder and it should sharpen the blade. You can repeat this after a few weeks. You can replace the blades with newly sharpened blades for complete efficiency.
Q: What are things that a paper shredder can shred?
A: A paper shredder shreds papers and documents in three cuts. These three cuts are cross cut, micro-cut and strip-cut. Many shredders have a separate slot for shredding CDs and DVDs. Users should know the shredding limitations of their shredder. Most shredders can shred few staples, paper clips, and credit cards. Only heavy duty paper shredders can shred cardboards. Don’t put many sheets of cardboard.
Additional Readings You May Like