Last Updated on September 21, 2021
If you have a large lawn you’ll find a petrol-powered lawn mower extremely useful. These powerful gardening tools can tackle tough lawns, dense growths and weed patches. The best part of petrol power is you have unrestricted access to the far reaches of your lawn without tripping over cords.
Check out the best petrol lawn mower models in our review below to ensure you choose the right one for you.
Discover The Best Petrol Lawn Mowers Of 2021
The best petrol lawn mower is the Petrol Lawn Mower With 50L Collector Box By Webb. We gave it a 5/5 star rating.
Webb is a renowned petrol lawnmower producing company with a track record of quality and reliability. One of the most celebrated petrol mowers of this company is the WEBB Petrol Wheel Steel Lawnmower. This lawnmower comes in a compact design that makes it resistant to wear and tear. With adequate and timely engine maintenance, you can use this grass cutting machine for a long while.
It is easy to set up and comes in an average size that makes it movable and effective. It has an adjustable cutting height feature, making it possible for you to work at your preferred cutting height. You will like its engine, large capacity grass collector box (grass bag), and its speed control lever with four different settings so that you can cut with the highest level of precision. Also, the 46cm cutting width is ideal for smaller to medium sized lawns
- Very impressive mulching petrol mower with a reasonable price to quality ratio
- Best petrol mower for beginners and homeowners as it easy to start and use.
- Single lever adjustable cutting heights add to its effective functioning to make light work of your lawn
- Features 46cm cutting width which is ideal for small to medium sized lawns
- Features mulching capability and a large capacity grass box (grass bag)
- Not being self-propelled is still a significant challenge.
Second best petrol mower is the 4 Stroke Lawn Mower By Hyundai. We gave it a 5/5 star rating.
Coming second is the Hyundai HYM460SO 4-Stroke Cutting Propelled Mower. This grass cutting machine prides itself among other mowers in the market these days for its versatility of use and high performing abilities. Being among the best self-propelled units, it comes at a very affordable price to quality, unlike other self-propelled mulching lawnmowers.
It is easy to assemble, and comes with an adjustable cutting height feature, enabling variable cutting heights. You will love its foldable handle, which makes storage as easy as ABC. It uses a large bag at the rear, and that is why it mulches and discharges with no hassle. It has great engine and is fitted with a hard wearing steel deck for extended long life. Also, the 46cm cutting width is ideal for small to medium sized lawns, and it also features large 70 litre capacity fabric and plastic grass collection box (grass bag).
- This poweful steel petrol mower is very easy to assemble, start and use.
- Comes with an adjustable cutting heights feature and foldable handlebar that makes it user-friendly
- The 4 stroke OHV engine of this mower does not require that you make use of oil for it to function
- 46cm cutting width ideal for small to medium sized lawns
- Large 70-litre grass box made of fabric and plastic
- Fitted with a hard wearing steel deck for extended long life.
- The expert design of this mulching unit sometimes make it complicated especially for beginners
The third choice on our top 11 page is the Rotary Lawnmower Grey By Mountfield. We gave it a 4.5/5 star rating. Feel free to check the links below to show the price range and more details.
This excellent lawnmower will adequately cut long grass in a small to medium-sized back lawn. It is an easy to use grass cutting machine that is durable. It will serve you for long. Good lawn mowing does not have to be a pain. This mower operates with a standard recoil rope system that guarantees stress-free mowing. This is a good hand-propelled lawnmower working with a 100cc Mountfield 4 stroke petrol engine.
Also, this Mountfield machine has a pull cord start that will power it with the first pull. It has a large 40 Litre collection bag (grass bag) so that you don’t have to stop to empty it every few seconds. The collector is detachable, allowing you to leave the grass cuttings back on the ground if you wish. This powerful unit has a good blade cutting width of 39 cm and has a coverage of 400 square metres, enough for larger lawns.
The powerful model comes with height-adjustable wheels, which provide five pre-set cutting heights, ranging from 25 mm to 70 mm. The various cut levels make the grass cutting machine effective even on damp grass. You will like its rust-free polypropylene chassis, and that is why you can’t dispute its durability. It is foldable for easy storage and lightweight for convenient manoeuvre.
- The various cutting heights are pre-set, giving you an easy height adjustment.
- It is light and easy to use, making it an ideal lawn mower for the aged.
- The trusted device is built for many years of durability.
- Larger 40 Litre grass collector box means no frequent emptying and is detachable so you can leave the grass cuttings on the ground
- Assembly of this powerful mower is straight forward.
- It comes with a blade cutting width of 39 cm and has a coverage of 400 square metres.
- It cannot work well on a sloped lawn.
- Adding oil to the grass cutting machine can be tricky because the reservoir is not easily accessible.
- It comes with the traditional pull tart system. A power on and off button would be more convenient.
- Doesn’t have mulching ability.
Fourth spot on the top 11 list goes to the Classic Push Mower By Mcculloch. We gave it a 4.5/5 star rating.
The McCulloch M410 120 Classic Collect Cutting also makes its way to this ranking even though it has drastically dropped down the rank. This decline has been mainly because of the design and production of more flexible units. Regardless of this, this classic push lawnmower is still one of the best petrol mowers that can be used primarily by homeowners today.
It is very easy to set up and comfortable to cut, with a locking mechanism and speed lever. It also features a larger 50 litre fabric grass collector box at the rear. You will like the design versatility of this powerful machine, and that is why it is among the most popular mowers. Its light weight is a plus, making its manoeuvre as easy as ABC. It comes with a water hose so that there won’t be an issue when you want to clean it. This classic push mower also features 5 cutting heights for simple height adjustment and 40 cm cutting width with steel deck.
- This powerful steel unit is on the cheaper side.
- Features a larger 50 litre fabric grass box at the rear
- Easy to use and best for beginners and homeowners
- A range of cutting heights for easy cutting height adjustment.
- 40 cm cutting width with steel cutting deck, which is enough for medium to large lawns.
- Not suitable for stone surfaces as it can get damaged.
- Mulching ability is not mentioned in product description.
Fifth choice for our top 11 list is the Briggs & Stratton Engine Mower By Murray. We gave it a 4.5/5 star rating. Feel free to take a close look at the price range and details on the links below.
Our 5th pick on this best petrol self-propelled lawn mowers for sale is the Stratton Engine Self-Propelled Lawnmower. Known for its strength which can make it the most durable of the petrol rotary lawnmowers out there, you can rely on this mower for the tough tasks. You also need very little maintenance to keep this grass cutting pushing machine with rollers functioning, and beyond just being a self propelled mower, it can be used to express a fashion statement as well.
This Stratton Engine self propelled machine features foldable handles so that you can store it without much hassle. It is easy to assemble once you carefully follow the user’s guide. It is compactly designed so that it doesn’t need too much storage space. It also features self-propelled EQ500 steel mower deck with 46 cm (around 18 inch) cutting width, and is powerful enough for medium to large lawns. You will like the lightweight of this self propelled mower, which can make it easier for you to manipulate it in your garden at all times.
- Comes in a very lightweight which will make it easy to move around
- Also includes a powerful mulching plug
- Very easy to store as it comes with foldable handles
- Setting up doesn’t require professional knowledge as all the parts of this petrol mower are compatible.
- Features self-propelled EQ500 steel mower deck with 46 cm (18 inch) cutting width
- Features a great reliable Stratton engine and a large grass box at the rear as well as cutting heights for easy cutting height adjustment
- 4-in-1 functionality is everything you need: bagging, rear & side discharge and mulching
- This great looking petrol mower has many times been found wanting in the force of daunting tasks.
Sixth option on our top 11 list is the 46Cm Cutting Width Petrol Lawnmower By Einhell. We gave it a 4/5 star rating. You can check the price range and details on the links below.
Our 6th selection is the 46Cm Cutting Width Einhell Propelled Mower. If you are conversant with lawnmowers generally, you sure would have come across this brand. This great looking self propelled lawnmower comes affordable and is best for homeowners because of its size. Allowing for attachments, this is the best lawnmower you will enjoy using.
This self-propelled lawn mower has a locking mechanism, which guarantees optimum effectiveness and safety. It is easy to set up and use, with a low maintenance cost. If you are looking for a mower with a unique compact design, you should go for the Einhell Self Propelled Petrol Mower. Apart from saving you much storage space, it is also lightweight, which makes its manipulation a piece of cake.
- This 46Cm cutting width unit is easy to assemble and use
- Powder coated steel deck for scratch resistance
- You need minimal maintenance for this option which is helping you save cost and time
- Features a larger 50 L rear collector box
- 139 cc four-stroke engine with top build quality.
- A good locking mechanism is provided for which will make it a very smart mower
- Its durability becomes questioned after a long while of use.
Seventh place goes to the Steel Deck Petrol Mower By P1Pe. We gave it a 4/5 star rating.
Occupying the 7th spot on this top 11 list is the Steel Deck 4-Stroke Engine Lawnmower. This grass cutting machine is a self-propelled mower with excellent design, compact size and a comprehensive plan. This steel deck mower offers users more flexible features and comes at a very affordable price range.
You can adjust its cutting height so that you can achieve the most satisfactory cut at all times. It is foldable for easy storage and has a cutting width that guarantees the best finish. Its compactness is a plus, while you can manoeuvre it with ease, thanks to its lightweight. This is the self propelled mower to put your money on if you want precision in every mowing task.
- It is well made and straightforward to cut with vast storage capacity
- This self-propelled drive unit features a great sized rear collector box (grass bag)
- Easy start recoil engine
- Manufacturer includes a 2 year warranty
- Movement is natural because of compact design
- Good cutting width means it is suitable for medium to large lawns.
- This self-propelled steel deck lawn mower is not so durable.
Eighth best unit is the Self Propelled Petrol Mower By Izy. We gave it a 4/5 star rating. Feel free to check the price range and details on the links below.
The Izy HRG 466 is on our list because of its ease of use, which makes it a user-friendly small self-propelled mower. Being one of the best grass cutting units for sale, this grass cutting machine works well for virtually every lawn type and can be easily stored and maintained after every use. As a small grass cutting unit, this will be a fantastic self-propelled machine for you.
It comes with a speed lever so that you can easily control its speed for optimum performance. It is easy to assemble, and you won’t experience any issue when you want to start it. There is a manual that accompanies the package, which provides guidance when you are setting it up. With its mulching capability, your grass clippings can be turned back into manure to nourish your garden.
- Simple, good design will make the self-propelled drive mower very easy to understand
- The adjustable cutting height just means you can adjust the height to suit the task at hand every time
- This mower offers great mulching ability and decent self-propulsion engine.
- Good value for the price
- Users are requesting a comprehensive warranty plan to secure their purchase
- People usually think that the most tricky part is putting the larger grass collector box (grass bag) together
Ninth place goes to the Self Propelled Petrol Mower By Hyundai. We gave it a 4/5 star rating.
Hyundai is known to be a brand that produces top-quality petrol lawnmowers, and with the Hyundai HYM510SPER Self Propelled Petrol Roller, this brand did not disappoint. A user of this best small mower is recorded to have said ‘I never knew a petrol mulching mower could be this amazing until I tried this.’ This is no doubt one of the best petrol mowers you can buy for the price it comes at, and still, enjoy the great quality that it offers every time.
Why not get your budget together and purchase this unit which is a cheap mower? It features dual heavy-duty wheels so that you won’t be hindered by tough grasses. Powered by a strong motor, this grass cutting machine is a good choice if you want to get it right in terms of qualitative mowing. Its adjustable cutting height is a plus, enabling you to cut in accordance with the type of grass for effective finish.
- This great mower responds immediately, it is started without any stress
- Your green lawn will be really good looking every time you cut the grass with this great machine.
- The 8-inch wheels of this mower allow it to manoeuvre easily through the back lawn.
- With an instruction manual provided, setting up this mower is easy and quick.
- Hyundai 135cc 4 Stroke Self-Propulsion Engine Using Unleaded Petrol and a charger is included to keep the battery topped up
- 38cm ribbed rear roller for traditional stripes
- 60 Litre grass box (grass bag)
- The price is on the more expensive side, it needs to be cheaper.
Tenth best unit is the Petrol 40Cm Push Lawnmower By Webb. We gave it a 3.5/5 star rating.
The WEBB R41HP Push Petrol Mower is our tenth pick as it offers better features and performance than other units in the market today. Are you working on minimal funds and want something straightforward? Then you should search for none other than this particular push lawnmower.
This push mower combines compactness with the versatility to give you a worthwhile experience whenever you are mowing. It is compact and lightweight, and that is why its storage is a stroll in the park while its manipulation is a piece of cake. It even comes with various attachments, including a water hose, so that you won’t have issues cleaning it.
- This push mower is simple to use, and affordable to maintain
- Best for smaller lawn areas as it provides a uniform cut
- The engine oil is included
- 50 Litre grass box
- This powerful mower has proven not to be so durable. Even some cordless units are more durable.
The eleventh option is the 2 In 1 Cutting System Petrol Mower By Webb. We gave it a 3.5/5 star rating.
Another petrol fuel mower of WEBB brand, and this time, it is the WEBB R46SP Propelled Petrol Mower. This unit is inexpensive but very powerful and is a good pick for beginners. Coming with an instruction manual, users can understand the working of this powerful mower easily.
It comes with a foldable handle, which helps to make its storage as easy as ABC. Setting it up is not difficult, and its usage is not rocket science. If you are looking for a lightweight grass cutting machine that you can easily manoeuvre on your garden, you should go for the WEBB R46SP Propelled Petrol Mower.
- These units offer full service and handy features like foldable handles
- A cutting swatch and trimmer handles make this petrol mower very easy to use in all conditions.
- The unit of this petrol mower can be used to clear grass in Rocky terrain.
- Great 4 stroke self-propulsion engine provides excellent services
- 50 Litre grass collector bag
- The comprehensive plan that comes with this mower is just makeup.
Petrol Lawn Mower Buying Guide
Natural well-maintained grass adds to the appeal of a lawn. But it is not easy to maintain it. To plant the grass, you must prepare the area with a garden rotavator. You will need to frequently get rid of weed and moss with a lawn scarifier, and maintain the height and edges of the grass with a lawn edger or cordless strimmer. But you can always have it easier with artificial grass.
A petrol lawn mower is the most common method of maintaining your lawn. It is easy to use and trims the grass to a manageable size. We will guide you through picking the right lawn mower for your home.
What You Need To Know
From the petrol lawn mower reviews made available, we have been able to put together some of the most important factors to take into consideration when getting a petrol mower. These factors are what serve as guide for anyone who looks to buy not just one of the many machines available, but one that can serve them and the purpose it is needed for.
Asides from petrol lawnmower reviews, we have also been able to sort the opinions of experts and manufacturers of petrol lawnmowers as to what is to be considered when purchasing. Regardless of each product description provided above, it is critical that you read through this guide before going all out for this grass cutting machine. Features to search for when purchasing the best unit include:
Size of the Lawn Mower:
Every user depends on what purpose the unit is needed to have a variable choice of sizes. However, it is essential that you know the size of the machine before purchasing one. This way, you are sure the size you are purchasing will be able to carry out the work for which it is needed effectively and comfortably. Also when choosing the size, it is imperative that you search for a size that you can operate. For a smaller garden, it is best to go for a small lawnmower while for a large garden or large lawn, you can go for the best petrol lawn mower for large gardens.
The Lawn Mower Type:
The type is also another factor to take into consideration when purchasing a lawnmower. These mowers come in different sizes all of which serve different purposes. It is always important that the purpose for which the grass cutting machine is needed is established first as this helps in deciding a lot of other factors.
These other factors include first the size of a mower that you need, and then also the lawnmower type to be used. Generally speaking, there are some petrol mower types, but we shall be looking at the three main types.
1. Self-propelled Petrol Lawn Mowers:
The self-propelled petrol mowers are the commonest types and still the most effective. They are referred to as self-propelled because of their ability to draw power from the mower’s engine to propel their wheels to function effectively. With the presence of vast swath, they released best for larger lawns and the most tasking lawn cutting activities. Though being very effective, you might not get comfortable with the loud noise that it produces as well as the emissions as well.
2. The Riding Petrol Lawn Mowers:
Next, to the self-propelled petrol lawnmowers are the riding petrol lawnmowers. These lawn mower types are used to cut through lawns by having you drive them yourself and many times come as key start petrol mower. As you drive through the grass in the order, you want it to follow, and this lawn mower cuts it effectively and accurately. It is also known to have a large swath which means it can be used to cut large portions of grass at a go in the most convenient way. The downside of this type is its inability to make quick turns and the difficulty that comes with eventually having to do such.
3. ZTR Lawn Mowers:
The ZTR units are the more recent inventions. They are an improvement of both the self-propelled and the riding lawn mowers. They are known for their impressive manoeuvring abilities which allows them to easily and conveniently cut through the grass. If you have a good understanding of how lawnmowers operate, then going for this particular lawnmower type can be an excellent pick for you.
Cost of Petrol Lawn Mower
Everyone who looks to get any petrol lawnmower does so with a budget. The cost of grass cutting machine is, therefore, a significant factor to note when purchasing.
Always make sure to go for the best unit at all times. You should take note of two things when contemplating the cost. First is that not all expensive petrol mowers are best for you.
So, never mistake a high price for a quality mower, you don’t need to spend big. It is possible for you to get the best petrol mower for you at a very affordable price. Secondly, it is vital that you stick to your planned budget.
To make sure you have an idea of this unit before purchasing is the reason why we have provided you with our top 11 picks above.
The Engine Type of the Mower
Generally speaking, all petrol lawn mowers come with either a 2 stroke, 3 strokes or a 4 stroke engine. However, it is important to know what area you are sometimes working. It is not always necessary to go for a 4-stroke petrol lawn mower if a 2-stroke engine will still get the job done. Remember that the larger the engine, the higher the price of the grass cutting machine. Also, larger engines always limit comfortability because they make the lawn mower heavy.
The Adjustable Cutting Height of the Lawn Mower
Not all petrol lawn mowers have adjustable cutting height as all lawnmowers have their height set from the factory. However, to be sure that what you have a versatile petrol lawn mower, it is important that you go for one with cutting height adjustment options. This is because when it comes to petrol lawn mowers, cutting height is a critical factor to consider.
What Are the Different Features?
Users over time who have purchased a petrol lawn mower have found some features handy. We were able to highlight these features from the many reviews that have been provided by users over time, and they include:
The Electric Start of the Mower
The electric start of a mower is handy because it helps in saving much stress, and will make the mower more user-friendly. With an electric start, you will no longer have to go through the stress of pulling a rope or cord to start the mower. To start a lawn mower with an electric start, all you need to do is to press the start button located somewhere on the lawn mower, and you have the engine of the mower come on.
The Presence of Folding Handles
Beyond making use of a lawn mower, is being able to store it. To facilitate easy storage, users find the folding handle very handy. With the folding handles, all you need to do is to fold up the mower after it is used and store it carefully.
The Washout Port Feature
The washout port is also another feature of a petrol fuel mower that is quite handy. This is because this feature allows you to be able to plug in a water hose to the mower which allows for easy cleaning of the machine at all times before and after use.
Petrol Lawn Mower Buying FAQs
Q: How can I best maintain my petrol lawnmower to keep it functioning effectively for a long while?
A: Maintaining the petrol lawn mower is an excellent way to keep it functioning for a long while. However, the demands of maintenance vary from one petrol lawn mower to another. Timely maintenance which will mean you are cleaning both the interior and exterior parts can be beneficial.
Q: Are there safety precautions to adhere to when making use of a petrol lawnmower?
A: Yes, the petrol lawn mower is a grass cutting machine just like every other that requires safety precautions when using and storing it. These safety precautions include among others that you put on all protective clothing you need and keep children away from the machine.