Last Updated on September 19, 2021
Are stubborn creases cramping your style? A steam generator iron will straighten those wrinkles in no time.
Whether you are looking for a professional grade steam generator iron, a workhorse to deal with large quantities of clothes or something for your delicate pieces, our best steam generator iron review gives you the low down on these magical appliances.
Our Top 3 Steam Generator Iron Picks
1. The Best Steam Generator Iron By Philips
2. The Best Steam Generator Iron With Anti-Scale Technology By Tefal
3. The Best Steam Generator Iron For Faster Ironing By Russell Hobbs
The Best Steam Generator Irons Reviewed In 2021
The best steam generator iron you can get is the Elite Steam Generator Iron By Phillips. We gave it a 5/5 star rating.
The Philips PerfectCare Elite is the best steam iron as well as fastest iron that guarantees you approximately 40 minutes of iron time in a week. I was genuinely impressed by its effectiveness, and I am certain that you will be too. For starters, this iron features innovative optimalTEMP technologies that let you free the time that you would otherwise waste pre-sorting your laundry or waiting for the temperature to adjust.
It will give you the peace of mind knowing that you will not mess your clothing regardless of their type of fabric. Given its bigger water tank capacity, the Philips PerfectCare Elite is precisely what you need for large-scale laundry jobs.
The Philips PerfectCare Elite can produce a steam pressure of 135g/min of consistent steam as well as 470 g boost which penetrates deeply into the fibres of a wide range of fabrics and clothing layers and does all that for a price that is not expensive.
This helps to reduce the number of hand strokes required hence minimizing the workload. What is more, the best steam optimalTEMP technology works in conjunction with the soleplate and can produce the powerful steam to effectively eliminate creases without needing so much of your effort.
It is worth noting that Philips is the only brand that is certified with the gold standard from Wool Mark. This implies that its products and specifically the Philips PerfectCare Elite is trusted on a wide range of woollen clothing and woollen fabrics.
Considering that the Philips PerfectCare Elite is the best steam iron you can get, you’d expect it to possess certain unique features. We have already talked about optimalTEMP technology. In addition to that, the Philips PerfectCare Elite also has an easy De-Calc heat cleaning system.
This is the best way for overcoming the effects of residue which lower the performance of heat steam. You will be impressed by how little time (2 minutes) it takes for steam to get ready for use in the iron. This is regardless of the fact that the water tank is detachable from the steam output generating base.
READ NEXT: Top rated washer dryer reviewsPros
- It facilitates ultrafast hand ironing thanks to the powerful steam output as well as the smooth gliding soleplates.
- The patented optimalTEMP technology takes away the worry that comes with switching from one temperature setting to another to avoid burning the fabric.
- It has a detachable water tank that is large enough to hold 1.8 L of water and can be quickly filled with tap water.
- It is easy to use, and it facilitates easier ironing because of its light weight and smooth gliding as well as scratch resistant soleplate.
- 1.8L tank capacity.
- Best buy product, cheaper than others.
- Users find that there’s a learning curve involved before getting used to operating some features such as the De-calc cleaning system.
Second place goes to the High-Pressure Steam Generator By Tefal. We gave it a 4.5/5 star rating.
The Pro Express Care Anti Scale GV9071 is a powerful steam generator iron by Tefal that boasts of up to 7.5 bars of pressure. On top of that, it has an ultra-powerful steam boost of up to 500g/min. This steam unit is well designed to reduce the time you spend ironing. It has the best in-built heater which converts water into steam of high pressure to deeply penetrate the thick sections of your fabrics.
With this compact steam unit, you get faster crease removal and more precise hand ironing. In addition to that, you get a quicker heat up time of two minutes. This is just about the time it takes you to get the ironing board out. This iron is the first high-pressure steam generator from Tefal to combine anti-stain and anti-scale technology thus providing double protection as well as precise work results, for a price that isn’t expensive.
Tefal knows that everyone fancies a stain-free garment and it would be more rewarding to get the best steam iron that helps you to achieve this. The Pro Express care comes equipped with the right tools to help you get the best out of your fabrics. It features the best steam technology which can get you precise ironing results. All you have to do is select one of the five preset levels with the touch of a button on the back. These levels include synthetic, silk, wool, cotton and linen.
The Tefal Pro Express Care comes with a better ultra-precise electronic regulator that has a variation of less than 1%. It serves to monitor the soleplate’s temperature and steam output, therefore, providing an optimal mix of two for each fabric.
READ NEXT: The best ironing board you can buyPros
- These irons come with the durilium airglide soleplate that provides maximum steam distribution and 33% extra glide to preform fast and effortless ironing.
- It comes with a large water tank capacity of 1.6l that is generous enough to get your iron run longer. What is more, it is a removable water tank.
- It is safe to transport because the iron can get locked securely on to the base and can be carried safely by the comfortable handle.
- When you get it, the device is easy to store since the handy power cord rewinder rewinds the cord automatically when you are done.
- With it you get a really good value for your money and ease of use.
- The only drawback of this appliance is that it uses a considerable amount of electricity. Some of the best steam generator reviews found 2400 Watts to be a lot of power for small size irons.
Third place goes to the Autoclean High-Pressure Steam Generator By Tefal. We gave it a 4.5/5 star rating.
This is yet another white steam iron from Tefal that is not so different from its predecessors. It rocks the best 2000 watts power output which is only 200W lower than the GV9071. Being one of the best pressurized silent steam generators to buy, the GV8461 has up to 6 bars of pressure and an ultra-powerful steam boost of up to 260g/minute.
Just like its predecessor, this iron is well designed to cut your time with its integrated boiler which transforms water into high pressure to deeply penetrate fabrics. A comparison of the ironing time using this iron and a standard steam iron will reveal how powerful the Pro Express Autoclean GV8461 is. Some of the key features of these steam generators are the anti-scale solution, which features a patented scale collector that prevents limescale build-up. It features 1.8 litre tank capacity that can get removed for refilling.
What is more, the scale collector is removable making it easy to be rinsed under the tap. It also features the best Durilium automatic clean soleplate which ensures your ironing is effortless. This soleplate is so smooth you won’t feel any resistance when pressing. It has more active holes at the top, sides, and centre to ensure optimal steam distribution which guarantees more efficient ironing. It has an auto clear catalyst coating that provides a long-lasting performance by keeping the soleplate clear over a long time.Pros
- It has long lasting power because it collects up to 10x particles for lasting steam power and effortless crease removal.
- You can work on any fabric using one temperature setting.
- With the 6 bars turbo 260g/min pressure, this steam unit removes even the most stubborn creases with ease in minutes.
- It has an auto-off function which means you don’t have to worry if you forgot to turn it off.
- Comes with an “eco” setting that helps to salvage up to 20% energy.
- It is easy to store thanks to the lock system and the steam output as well as electrical cord compartments.
- 1.8 litre tank capacity that can get removed.
- It is hard to think of something unlikeable about this device although some users claim that there is a discomforting smell of steam during first use.
Fourth place goes to the Steam Generator Iron By Morphy Richards. We gave it a 4.5/5 star rating.
Morphy Richards is a brand that has established itself over the years as one that furnishes your home with smart ideas. The Morphy Richards 332014 Power Steam Elite Steam Generator with Auto-Clean is one evolutionary steam iron that has completely revolutionised the auto-clean function in steam generators.
It is so good for it’s the price you won’t believe it. It recognizes when it’s time to clean and automatically initiates the cleaning process when the iron is cold. This device has a descale light that lets you know when to clean your steam station iron. It works by drawing clean water from the water tank and then using it to flush out the limescale from the boiler.
The Morphy Richards 332014 Power Steam Elite Steam Generator with Auto-Clean is not expensive and is the best to get creases removed even in the most robust fabric. It has an enormous 170g of high pressure steam that glides through stubborn creases with ease. You will love how easy it is to use the Morphy Richards 332014 Power Steam Elite Steam Generator with Auto-Clean. On top of that, it has 2.2L tank capacity.
Also, with it you get the best set of intuitive controls that allow you to select the steam output and temperature setting you need quickly. It is a really good steam iron because it will enable you to match the temperature settings with the instructions of your garment without struggling a lot. It is worth noting that the Morphy Richards 332014 Power Steam Elite Steam Generator with Auto-Clean can also be used for vertical steaming in elite silence. This is made possible by its immense steam power that allows you to remove stubborn creases from curtains and duvets as well as mattresses. With this device you really get what you search for.Pros
- It has an auto-clean function that makes it easy to wipe without requiring any of your efforts.
- The Morphy Richards 332014 Power Steam Elite Steam Generator with Auto-Clean is very easy to use thanks to the intuitive controls that allow you to set it up by a simple button press.
- It comes with a detachable water tank that is huge enough to hold 2.2l. This means that you can iron with the Morphy Richards Steam Generator for longer without the need to get the tank refilled.
- It has a smooth glide soleplate which is made from a durable, non-stick coated glide.
- It has a fail-safe mechanism which switches the unit off automatically if it is unused for a certain period.
- These steam irons are safe and secure to carry around thanks to the safe and easy carry lock.
- 2.2L tank capacity
- Great temperature settings make it a best steam iron you can buy.
- When used on lower settings, you will experience some water leaks which might force you to redo your laundry.
Fifth place goes to the 340g Steam Generator iron By Phillips. We gave it a 4.5/5 star rating.
The Philips PerfectCare Viva ensures that ironing a pile of your laundry is no longer a stressful chore. This modern ultra-fast device is made with a wide range of technologies, and its price is friendly. It will even work on tough creases and heavy fabric effortlessly, and also you don’t have to worry about burning your favourite shirt or dress.
The Philips PerfectCare Viva works with 120g/min of continuous steam, and will efficiently work on any type of creases and fabric, both light and heavy. It is produced with OptimalTEMP technology so that no burns will occur when you are ironing. Also, this advanced technology eliminates the need to change the temperature settings or pre-sorting your pile of clothes, which means one temperature setting for any fabric.
Also, Philips PerfectCare Viva has the best safe-rest aspect meaning that you can leave the device’s hot soleplate directly in contact with the fabric on your ironing board without causing any damage. The safe-rest prevents the need to constantly lift the iron from its base as you work. With its extra-large two-litre water tank, you can engage in on two-hour ironing without the need to top up the water.
The tank is transparent, and that is why you can see how much water is left, and there is a large filling door so that you can refill without much mess. You can refill under the tap or use a jug. Plus, this device is well designed for easy storage, and its lightweight is a plus, making its manipulation as easy as ABC.
With its energy-saving ECO mode which uses a reduced amount of steam, you can be sure of saving energy without affecting the quality of your ironing. Also, Philips PerfectCare Viva has a safe carry lock, which keeps the device from falling and its soleplate from causing accidental burns. Its soleplate is made of ceramic and is scratch-resistant, ensuring that it glides easily in its entire lifetime. Plus, you will like its automatic shut off aspect, which will power off the device when left unused for a few minutes. These features make it one of the best steam generator irons to buy.Pros
- OptimalTEMP enables the device to work with any fabric using one temperature setting.
- The auto shutoff detail saves energy consumption.
- There is no need to adjust the temperature regardless of the fabric you need to tackle with.
- The smart descaling system prolongs its life.
- Its settings make it one of the few best irons you can buy
- Philips PerfectCare Viva features 2L tank capacity
- The water tank is not detachable, which would be more convenient when filling under the tap.
- The Philips PerfectCare Viva is very light. People who have used heavier steam irons that give a good press will have a harder adjusting.
Sixth place goes to the Compact Steam Generator By Phillips. We gave it a 4/5 star rating.
Two words describe the GC6704/36 from Philips: compact and lightweight. Most of those who have used it before will agree with me that Philips steam generators are undoubtedly the best steam generator irons and the GC6704/36 is not an exception for the removal of creases.
It is a steam iron that works faster than ordinary steam generators. The easy to refill water tank of 1.3l capacity is enough to facilitate large-scale ironing jobs. What is more, it has continuous steam production which means that you do not have to stop in the middle of an ironing job to refill the tank. These features make it easy to use and store away.
Philips has put its 65 years of experience in the manufacture of this amazing steam unit, and for a price that is not so expensive. You can tell it has been an exceptional piece of work from the collection of the best features that you find in the GC6704/36. For starters, the soleplate is made of durable material for easy gliding.
Also, the water tank on this steam iron is large enough to support long ironing sessions. To be precise, you can iron for more than one hour. You can see through the door how much water is remaining in the tank to establish how long you have until the next refill. It is worth noting that the GC6704/36 is equipped with the best descaling system that guarantees a long-lasting performance from your steam iron station. Plus, the unit will notify you when you need to clean. All these features make these steam generators one of the best steam generator irons to buy.Pros
- It is compact and has continuous steam output. It is easy to store away after use. On top of that, the GC6704/36 is also a lightweight iron which contributes to the ease of use. Philips steam generators are usually compact because the brand utilises the exclusive pro velocity technology.
- It has a soleplate for smooth gliding as well as durability
- The ultra-powerful steam produced by this iron will make it the right unit for the ultimate crease removal.
- This iron is very easy to use and has transparent tank.
- 1.3L tank capacity.
- Some of the cordless steam iron reviews found the bigger dock at the bottom to be a nuisance that makes the entire unit to be massive and less portable. You probably can’t take this unit to travel.
Seventh place goes to the Steam Generator Iron with Non-Stick Ceramic Soleplate By Tower. We gave it a 4/5 star rating.
A neat, well-ironed pile of clothes tell many things about you. The Tower Steam unit will ensure that you and your family are always looking sharp and presentable. It will effectively get rid of creases on any fabric, including heavy cotton. The device is heavy enough to give your fabric a really good press.
This 2700W device has a three-bar pressure and 100 g per minute steam output, and that is why it is powerful to get even the tough creases removed. It has a transparent, removable tank with a capacity of 1.5l, and you can also monitor the water usage. The tank is easy to refill, you can refill it under a tap, and it has a maximum level mark to prevent you from overfilling it.
Also, this steam pressure unit provides a wide range of settings. The vertical steam pressure function is the best for upholstery, curtains and hanging suits. The continuous steam setting is available for smaller garments. Plus, there is an adjustable thermostat that enables you to adjust the temperature setting to a level that is ideal for the fabric you want to iron. The non-stick soleplate gives a clean and easy glide without staining your bright-coloured fabrics.
With its thick comfortable handle, you don’t have issues carrying it around. It even has a thick base that get you stability as you pause in between ironing. When not in use, the device will sit securely on the generator unit, and the soleplate will not be in contact with the base of the generator unit. You won’t mind its black and silver sleek design, which will look good in your home. It is corded, and the cord is long enough to allow easier movement of your device. With this iron you really get what you search for.Pros
- The adjustable thermostat allows you to set the temperature to your preference.
- With it you get a wide range of settings.
- It is a powerful device that will work on a wide range of garments, including curtains and beddings.
- When you buy this device, you get a water tank that is detachable, allowing you to refill easily.
- It has a large tank capacity. That tank capacity allows you to continually work without the need to refill the water tank in between the task.
- This model does not have an automatic shutoff function that would provide security.
- It is a heavy device that will limit movement and could be harsh on your wrists. Do not buy it if you have wrist problems.
Eighth place goes to the Jet Steam Generator Iron By Morphy Richards. We gave it a 4/5 star rating.
If you are looking for a steaming iron and you are operating within a budget, then the Morphy Richards 333020 may be precisely what you need. This steam iron is an excellent unit for quick crease removal even on stubborn creases. Producing a 100g high-level steam, this steam is just what your fabrics need to relax the fibres in the garment. Even if you are having heavy materials such as denim and linen, the Morphy Richards 333020 will also do the magic.
It is well designed to make ironing easier as well as quicker given its factor of huge steam combined with water. Unlike other pressurised steam generators on the market, the Morphy Richards 333020 is excellent for quick crease removal as it can produce 100g of steam to relax the fibres in garments. Its soleplate is made of stainless steel, which is one of the most hard-wearing metals on earth.
Other than a durable soleplate, this unit features a large heat water tank whose capacity is 1 litre. Also, it has a continuous fill boiler which means you can refill during use without necessarily having to wait for the system to cool down. Plus, this steam hand iron can heat up faster than you can imagine.
Even before you finish getting your ironing board out, the Morphy Richards 333020 will already have heated up and ready for use. This means that it heats up in a short time – less than two minutes. Even if you have really tough creases on your fabrics, the water spray on the Morphy Richards 333020 will help you to apply extra moisture.Pros
- It is easy to maintain since it uses a replaceable anti-scale cartridge
- This unit is heating up quickly
- It has a soft grip comfortable handle which makes it easier for you to enjoy the ironing job
- It has a stainless steel soleplate which is durable
- A big plus is the large water tank capacity as well as the continuous steam output features allow you to use this iron for a prolonged time
- Other than the leaking problem that comes about after constant use, the Morphy Richards 333020 is generally a great steaming iron to buy for those who want to get one on a budget.
For the ninth place, we choose the IntelliTemp Compact Steam Generator By Morphy Richards. We gave it a 4/5 star rating.
This is Morphy Richards’ first compact pressurised steam generator that also has a new intelliTemp element. This detail allows you to use just one setting on any ironable fabric without risking to get it burnt. These irons are 32% smaller and 42% lighter than a standard steam unit. This means that you can store and carry it with a lot more ease compared to other items on the market.
Even despite its small and light features, this steam unit is still quite impressive. This product has four steam and temperature settings and an additional intelliTemp setting. On top of that, this iron also has a high 4.5 bar pump steam pressure and a great 150 g of constant steam to help you get the best results every day. Also, As far as the manufacturer’s instructions are concerned, you are guaranteed to get no burns as long as the intelliTemp setting is on.
If you are looking for one that comes with vertical steam capabilities, then this model could be the perfect choice for you. This aspect is ideal to get creases removed from hanging curtains and duvet, cushions and mattresses. You are no longer going to worry about descaling the boiler because this iron has a self-clean and anti-calc feature.
Rocking a whopping 2600 Watts of output, this model of Morphy Richards steam generators could be just the most powerful budget iron. Even when you compare steam generators by their prices, you are going to realise that this model is much less expensive than its alternatives on the market.Pros
- It features the intelliTemp technology which guarantees no burns on your garments
- It is easy to use thanks to the digital display that lets you cycle through the four steam and temperature settings with ease
- With it you get a better auto shut off function for safety when not in use
- Big plus – it has a compact chassis that makes it one of the easiest to store away after use
- This product is one of the safest ones to buy
- 1L removable tank capacity
- A couple of pressurised steam generator iron reviews have pointed out that the thick cable tangles around the regular ironing board, causing a disturbance when one is smoothing.
Tenth place goes to the Steam Generator Iron with Ceramic Soleplate By Swan. We gave it a 4/5 star rating.
This model is capable of effectively taking away the hassle out of household chores by making it almost effortless to iron the toughest creases. It comes with variable temperature control which allows you to switch from one type of fabric to another. It operates at 2200W and enables an efficient 100g/min steam output. This combination is enough to provide clean and efficient ironing regardless of the stubbornness of the crease.
This pressurised steam unit features a ceramic-coated soleplate that ensures smooth gliding on any type of fabric. The adjustable temperature controls give this model some added versatility that suits it to various styles of ironing. This iron is one of the few that come with the function that allows you to iron hanging fabrics. Vertical steam ironing is useful when ironing fabrics such as curtains, duvets, mattresses, and cushions. It is activated when you press the steam output release button.
- This model features the continuous steam output capability which means your ironing job will not be interrupted at all.
- It comes with a soleplate that provides a smooth gliding to enhance your ironing tasks
- This product is one of the most popular ones to buy
- With this device, you get adjustable temperature controls
- Several user reviews have advised not to get them because of the durability of the Swan 2200W Steam Generator Iron
A Guide To Steam Generator Irons
There are two main reasons every home needs an ironing board – to press the edges after mending clothes on a sewing machine or straighten them after unhanging from a retractable washing line or heated clothes airer.
A cordless iron is convenient since it comes with no risk of tripping from wires, but a steam generator iron is fast, efficient, and keeps your clothes clean. We will guide you into picking the right steam generator iron for your home.
The Benefits of Having a Steam Generator Iron
A Steam Generating iron is the most effective and fastest way to get creases and wrinkles out of your clothing. It is capable of delivering nice professional results right at your personal home laundry. There are several benefits that you stand to gain as a result of owning a steam generator iron. One of which is clean fabrics with no extra effort.
Limescale is the leading cause of stains in ironed clothes. Luckily, most of the steam generators have mechanisms that eliminate limescale from the iron as you continue using it. One of these mechanisms is the de-calc system, and the other one is the auto-clean feature.
The other benefit that you will enjoy after owning a steam unit is that you will save a lot of time ironing. They are way faster when you compare steam generators to the ordinary models. For instance, they heat up fast. Also, the amount of hours you will spend on the regular ironing board is less because most of these steam irons have a large removable water tank that takes away the need to keep refilling the tank every now and then.
The other benefit of using a nice steam generating iron is that it lowers the chances of burning your fabrics. Unlike ordinary models, steam generated irons have technologies such as the intelliTemp and the optimalTEMP technology that ensure your materials are safe.
Factors to Consider When Buying a Steam Generator Iron
Buying a new steam generator can be a daunting task especially if you are doing it for the first time. You may find it difficult to come across the best steam generator iron overall that best suits your ironing needs. However, with some background knowledge on what type of materials you will be ironing, you can buy the steam generator of your dreams.
Here are some of the main factors that you need to consider when buying a continuous steam unit. First, the bar steam pressure of the steam generator should be on top of your list of considerations. This refers to the force with which the steam penetrates the deep fabric from the iron. Currently, the maximum is 6.5 bar although there are others that have a 7 bar steam pressure. Anything above 5 bar is more than enough for everyday ironing.
The next important consideration is the water tank capacity. A large water tank in a steam generator would mean fewer moments stopping to refill. The best removable water tank capacity is 1.5l.
The other very important consideration is the presence of the descaling feature. A continuous steam generator iron could suffer from limescale, and this could affect your fabrics by leaving them with stains (usually occurring in hard water areas). Your steam generator of choice should have some kind of mechanism that helps to eliminate the limescale effect.
The presence of automatic controls should be a point to consider when buying a hand continuous steam generator iron. Most of the modern models have the buttons and dials replaced with auto controls which are actually very user-friendly. Last but not least, you should consider the make of your regular ironing board. You cannot use a hand steam unit on an ironing board that is not meant for it. This is because the continuous steam generator irons are usually heavier and bulkier than the ordinary irons.
Safety Precautions When Using a Steam Generator Iron
Using steam generator irons safely is very important because it helps you to avoid a lot of accidents. First and foremost, you should remember that just like any other electronic appliance, a steam iron is capable of causing an electrical fault if not correctly wired and connected. So, before anything else, make sure your cabling is right.
This includes things like an extension that is not overloaded and properly covered cables. Even though the steam unit may have an auto shut off function, you should always make sure you turn it off when you’re not using. More often than not, the auto shut off function will work after the iron has been idle for around 10 minutes.
Another important safety precaution is that you should keep children away from a steam output unit that is turned on. Make sure that the presence of children in such an environment is appropriately supervised. Avoid directing the face of the soleplate towards your face or close to your skin. This is because the steam output could damage your skin causing blisters.
Steam Generator Irons FAQs
Q: How does a steam iron differ from a standard iron?
A: A steam iron is a large version of the standard iron that comes with additional capabilities to deliver professional ironing results.
Q: Does a steam iron come with a cord storage?
A: The presence of a cord storage in steam irons is dependent on the brand you are buying. Some brands consider this to be a basic feature while others do not.
Q: How do I know which steam generator iron is right for my laundry?
A: Your choice of a hand steam irons should be determined by the types of fabrics that you have and, of course, your budget. There is always something for everyone based on the amount they are willing to spend on steam generators.