Last Updated on May 8, 2021
There is only one way to make authentic, crispy and flavourful fried foods, and that’s by using a deep fat fryer. But choosing one isn’t that simple.
That’s where we come in, we have reviewed all the best deep fat fryer appliances on the market and explain what you should consider before buying one. Shop away, and pass the onion rings, will you?
The Best Deep Fat Fryers Reviewed In 2021
The best deep fat fryer in almost all of the reviews is the Stainless Steel Deep Fryer By Tefal. We gave it a 5/5 star rating.
This Tefal Easy Semi Professional Deep Fat Fryer comes in an attractive silver/black stainless steel body. The amazing deep fat fryer consumes 2200 W of power guaranteeing optimum performance. The bottom holds the heating element while oil is placed in the removable enamel reservoir. A cold zone prevents little particles from tainting the oil with high smoke point and food.
The compact 4.2 kg design has a 1.2 kg food capacity at a time. All the parts of the Tefal deep fat fryer machine are removable and dishwasher safe, making cleaning easier. Temperature can be set from 150 to 190 degrees Celsius and an indicator light will alert you when the desired temperature is reached. The deep fat fryer has basket handles and a viewing window on the lid. This smart chips fryer will give you value for money and really a great buy.
READ NEXT: The best induction pans you can buy
- The best deep fryer on the market is lightweight, compact and easy to clean.
- It has a smart viewing window display so you can check on the portion inside without opening.
- A lot of buyers love that the parts are removable and dishwasher safe.
- These fryers have good temperature controls
- Quality heating element
- There is no stated Tefal guarantee which could mean a lot of money for repairs etc..
- Small size, oil capacity that is not big enough for a family.
Second place goes to the Deep Fat Fryer with Adjustable Temp Control By VonShef. We gave it a 5/5 star rating.
Vonshef Deep Fat Fryer has oil capacity of 1.5kg (litres). The frying basket has a non-stick coating which makes these items easy to clean. The exterior is made of stainless steel giving it a stylish look. In the front, it has a thermostat dial to check and control the temperature range that can go up to 190ºC.
Also, the stainless steel basket includes a removable handle for the basket protected with a cool-touch so you don’t get burned. If you have limited space, the chips fryer fits perfectly in any spot in your kitchen due to its smaller size. The lid has a viewing window that allows you to supervise the progress and deals with accidental hot oil splashes. In fact, great handles is also something that makes it stand out from the rest of cooking appliances.
- 2 year warranty stands out of many great things about these kitchen appliances
- Large viewing window to keep track of the ingredients
- Easiest way for frying foods
- Removable basket with a basket handle for easy cleaning
- Small capacity – only recommended for small dishes, not good for a family
Third best deep fat fryer on the market is the 1 Kg Large Capacity Deep Fryer By Tefal. We gave it a 4.5/5 star rating. Feel free to check the price and properties on the Amazon site links below.
This Tefal MaxiFry features a large capacity of 1.8-litre oil and is classed as a compact deep fat fryer. It also has a 1kg food capacity at a time, so it is more than enough to cook a tasty bowl of cooked chips or some quick onion rings for a family of four in a matter of minutes.
One of the best features of this Tefal chips fryer that is on the money is it’s healthy cooled wall technology, meaning that it is safe to make contact with the outside of the fryer whilst in use. The adjustable thermostat allows you to set the temperature from a range of 150 to 190 Celsius, making it an easy job to manage while cooking a variety of food.
Rounding it off, along with a good food capacity, this popular choice also features a good size viewing window that is easily fitted on the lid for monitoring how your chips are coming along. This deep fat fryer is dishwasher safe too. It is value for money will not make a dent on your budget. The pan is not so easy to clean since it is not removable.
- Healthy Cool wall for safer handling
- These fryers are easy to use in various ways
- Safety mechanism and quality design are the reason this unit fits all households
- Every buyers love this dishwasher safe and value for money unit
- Comes with a 1.8 litre oil capacity with a compact size for efficient storage – it can fit in a cupboard for example
- These fryers have good temperature control with the thermostat
- There were some comments about no filter or hot oil filtration system for smells
- The frying pan is not removable making it not as easy to clean as the ones that are removable
Fourth best deep fat fryer on the UK market is the Silver Stainless Steel Deep Fat Fryer By Quest. We gave one of the best picks a 4.5/5 star rating. Feel free to check the price and information on the Amazon website links below.
The Quest Stainless Steel Fryer features a generous three litre of oil capacity, allowing for frying foods for up to 4 people anytime. Similar to most, it comes with an adjustable temperature gauge and a digital timer that enables you to cook a large variety of crispy fries, chips or meat.
One of the stand out features of these fryers is a removable oil container and a non-stick coating pan, making the fryer incredibly quick if you are craving some fried fish and chips. Also, it allows for some easy and quick cleaning for the most satisfactory result.
Its healthy cool zone technology is on the money, which means once you are done it cools the oil quickly. This will enable you to reuse the same oil another day without compromising on your health. However, these fryers don’t have a timer.
- These fryers feature even, quick cooking and easy cleaning that makes them better than any other alternative.
- Customers love the reliability and easy and simple handling of this smart, value for money model.
- Healthy coolzone Technology allows reuse of oil for another day with ease
- User manual is there for any type of customer
- Families can cook food in comfort with less effort with these pieces of kitchen equipment
- Simple and compact, boxy shape design handles max temperature setting
- These chip fryers feature good capacity for all sizes of meals and are easy to use
- No lid, resulting in the the deep fried smell of chips permeating your air at times. This happens much more than to a model with a lid
- No digital timer makes it difficult at times you are having a busy day and cannot stand and wait
Our fifth pick is the 3L Capacity Food Grade Stainless Steel Deep Fryer By Aigostar. We gave this solution a 4.5/5 star rating. Feel free to check the price tag and specifications on the Amazon page link below.
Make healthy bowl of tasty chips and fries with this Ushas smart deep pro fryer. First, it is power-packed with a 2200W fast heating element that enables you to get your bowl of deep fried food: chips, fish and chips, or a bowl of fries ready in a jiffy.
Holding a capacity of 3 Litres of oil, you can cook more food for you and your family members at once, making life easier. While preparing your food, you can choose temperatures from 130°C to 190°C with the adjustable thermostat temperature control on the unit.
You can cook anything you want from chips, fish and chips, chicken, doughnuts and many more to get the perfect taste. Be safe as you cook with heated oil; this pro deep fat fryer has a stainless steel outer casing with a lid that deals with any oil splashing while making your fried food and is easy to clean.
On the lid, there is a viewing window that enables you to know what’s happening in the deep fryer when closed. There is also a non-stick enamel bowl that can be removed for easy cleaning. The basket is also made from a stainless steel material with a detachable cool to touch handle basket you can hold easily.
You get complete stability with the non-slip feet on the deep fat fryer. The built-in cord storage compartment provides storage convenience. There is an indicator that lets you know when the chips fryer has been powered up and ready for use. This unit is everything kitchens to deep fry without a problem. Final verdict – a great overall investment.
READ NEXT: Top rated electric carving knife reviews
- Powerful and easy to use for all foods, churros, treats, french fries, chicken fingers/nuggets, potato snacks, etc.
- Stylish design and portability for everyone’s needs
- Features a capacity of 3 Litres of oil and a great cable compartment
- Safety features on the sides prevent spills and give you peace of mind
- This product features easy cleaning that makes it better than others any time
- Chefs love the great technology and functions enhance the flavour of any kind of fried food
- Smart viewing window on the lid allows average user to keep an eye on the frying process with no condensation
- It is quite small, reviews say there’s not enough room for family dinner portions. You can only do it in several batches because there is no other compartments.
Sixth best deep fryer on the market is the Deep Fat Fryer By AICOK. We gave it a 4/5 star rating.
For your love of perfectly made bowl of chips and crispy fried chicken wings with no grease, this popular deep fat fryer is what you need. Its capacity will serve a standard sized family and it’s easy to clean.
It comes with a 3 litres oil capacity so that you can serve up to four guests and maybe one extra. There is an adjustable temp control between 130 °C to 190 °C making it possible for you to simply cook any recipe. You will love its visual window feature which helps you to keep an eye on how your food is cooked.
What’s more, you do not need to lift the lid and risk your safety while its parts are detachable for easy maintenance. With its healthy cool zone technology, you can enjoy your cooked food before worrying about discarding the oil for health reasons. Quality timer is something that makes a difference.
READ NEXT: Halogen oven models
- It is easy to clean and maintain, provides great results and safety features.
- 3 litres of oil capacity
- Timer is one of many great things about this deep-frying unit
- You don’t have to worry about a single safety issue – no risk of kitchen fires
- This deep frying unit provides an easy way to handle and control the temperature
- This Aicok model has visual viewing window lids and an overheat protection, which makes it safe to use.
- The home device’s high grade stainless steel material makes it durable and value for money
- A lot of users say it lets out a lot of steam while heating the oils.
- The minimum amount of oil you can use in the baskets is two litres. It may be too much when making a small meal for kids.
Place number seven goes to the 2.5 Litre Deep Fat Fryer with Viewing Window By Swan. We gave it a 4/5 star rating.
This deep-fat fryer has a capacity of 2.5 litres which allows enough capacity to cook ample amounts of tasty deep fried wings or crisp chips or any other crispy fried food for your family. This digital deep fat fryer has a variable temperature control meaning it gives you the option if you want to cook food based on a wide variety of recipes.
One of the best features of these deep fryers is that they come with an odour removing air filter which also comes in handy when it is too cold to open a window for some fresh air to let that fried crisp chips smell out. This chips frying machine also boasts features such as cool-touch technology and a long basket handle to keep your hands away from the frying basket. That feature also makes cleaning the inner pan of the fryer easy.
- 2.5 litres tank capacity including Cool-touch technology that can handle heat easily
- Easy food frying at a touch of a button
- It comes with an odour removing air filter.
- Amazing lid system allows you to keep track of the delicious snack or treat you are making
- Reviews love the design of this deep oil fryer that provides ease of use at all times
- Handles various temperatures thanks to the no stick, easy to clean inner pan walls
- This kitchen appliance features perfect cooking results and doesn’t take up much space
- Only bad thing – no timer makes it difficult if you cannot stand and wait
Eighth place goes to the Compact Easy Clean Deep Fryer By Russell Hobbs. We gave it a 4/5 star rating.
Russell Hobbs Easy Clean Deep Fat Fryer has a 0.9-litre oil capacity which allows you to prepare up to 350g of food. It has a dial for adjusting the correct temperature options. The deep fat fryer is only available in white colour and features an external basket handle so that you can easily remove your chips.
The lockable lid makes it a safer choice since it eliminates the risk of spilling and getting burned. The fry basket size is small so it’s a perfect option for single servings only. On the plus side, this chips fryer is the right size for keeping it on your kitchen counter since it takes little space and is easy to clean.
- Great cost of this home use easy clean fryer is something a lot of people like
- Good for easy, quick cleaning with only cloth, which is great for any house
- Easy to carry handles will make sure of your comfort
- This deep oil fryer features decent capacity to cook anything from the recipe book
- Compact and practical size – space saver
- The basket handle tends to get hot while it’s cooking.
- Articles say that one of a few bad things is lack of a timer. Timers are important!
Ninth place goes to the Deep Fat Fryer with Cool-Touch By Elgento. We gave it a 4/5 star rating.
Elgento’s Deep Fat Fryer is cheap and highly-rated on any online store. This fryer is available in white colour only. This small deep fat fryer has a 1-Litre capacity and is ideal for people who fry once in a while in limited quantities.
It weighs an incredible 1.2 kg and uses 900 W of energy. There is an in-built, adjustable thermostat which helps in regulating temperature. Its indicator lights signal whether the fryer is turned on or off.
There is an internal filter that keeps debris from clogging the internal space. The exterior of the machine is cool-touch, ensuring that you can safely touch it even when the fryer is in use. This compact deep fat fryer will not chip away at your budget and is a must-buy for anyone with limited space who wants great cooking experience and has limited storage space. This fryer doesn’t come with lots of bells and whistles but it does the job perfectly with no mess.
- Compact, light weight/size is great for small jobs or keeping permanently on kitchen worktop counters.
- This deep fat fryer energy consumption is low.
- Its versatility and efficiency can keep the electricity bills in check
- Food lovers love this unit because it is an efficient way to deep fry food
- This deep oil fryer features internal filters that prevent clogging.
- The manufacturer provides a two year warranty for customer convenience.
- Only bad side is capacity – this mini deep fat fryer can only fry a little amount of chips at once.
A Guide To Deep Fat Fryers
There are many modern methods of cooking, such as using a sous vide machine, a mini oven, or using a portable induction hob with induction pans. Your choice will depend on your needs. A deep fat fryer, for instance, is efficient in frying chicken, fries, onion rings, or fish. It will ensure the heat gets to the deepest parts of the chicken or turkey, and a meat thermometer can give you proof of it.
This guide will give you a better understanding of the deep fat fryer. You will know the factors to keep in mind when making your purchase.
The Benefits of Using a Deep Fat Fryer
You will be able to save more energy when cooking in a deep fryer, resulting in inefficient heating and cooking. The heat generating element is close to the oil.
The deeper vat and lower surface area of the oil support less temperature loss and full submersion of the food into the oil, simultaneously cooking all of the food’s surfaces without the need for turning over.
A deep fat fryer is also better at removing the black burnt bits and crumbs from the active cooking area. When these black particles are present, they contaminate it and lessen the life of the oil.
Food is usually deep-fried between a range of 177 and 191 degrees Celsius. Different foods undergo different reactions based on their composition. Typically, like in an oven, the high temperature denatures the proteins in the food to denature, gels the starches, and softens the dietary fibre.
The good news is, if it’s done right, it doesn’t make food greasy. The moisture in the food repels oil, yet the oil heats the water enough to make it steam, water vapour rising to the surface as bubbles. The oil doesn’t really penetrate into the core of the food.
The exception is when you fry the food in oil for a long time. In that case, the water content of the food is lost and so oil is allowed to infiltrate the food.
How to be Safe When Using a Deep Fat Fryer
Cooking in a pan on the stove can be a precarious exercise. On a busy day when you are not paying full attention, not only are you in danger of splashes that dirty the surroundings and cause painful burns, but you are also at risk for someone knocking the frying basket over which can become a serious matter.
Once you’re finished, you must wait for the oil to cool before removing it, keeping heated oil sitting in an area with high traffic. Fortunately, a deep fat air fryer is self-contained and deep. This makes life easier and cooking and cleaning faster and safer.
Furthermore, at-home deep fat air fryers often have safety features like temperature control and indicator like in an oven. This allows you to optimize the frying process and use it precisely instead of guessing on the stove.
The auto temperature control helps prepare food evenly from start to finish. A safety thermostat deals with adjusting the power in case the oil will rise to an unsafe temperature. The oil that heats up too much can cause a difficult-to-contain oil fire.
One cannot underscore the necessity of caution when working with heated oil. There is a serious threat of fire any time, especially when the power source is gas. With oil-fires, it is crucial that you do not use water as this can worsen the situation. Rather, it is recommended that you use a fire extinguisher specifically designed for oil fires.
These employ an alkaline chemical to neutralize the flames. The good news is home deep fat/lard fryers can activate a safety device with a thermostat that deals with shutting off the machine to avoid accidents when the oil gets too hot or an inadequate amount of oil is present.
Regardless of the vessel, there are some basic precautions you should take care of when heating oil. First, rid yourself of loose sleeves or any clothing/jewellery that hangs down near your wrists or arms. Second, if you have long hair, tie it back. Our advice – you should test the oil’s readiness by putting in a bit of what you plan to cook.
If you see it moving around, bubbling, and steadily browning, it’s a good indication that your oil has reached good cooking temperature. Other methods employ a wooden spoon or a popcorn kernel to test the oil.
You can always use a thermometer as a guide to be certain. When cooking your food, try to gently place the food in the heated oil, avoid dropping it in as this could cause splashes and burns.
What to Consider Before Buying
There are several things you should cover in your search for new quality deep fat fryers for your family apart from just good deals. You should evaluate how often you fry foods and if it would be a big part of your diet.
If so, you may want to splurge on expensive higher-end kitchen products with style and also look for bigger dimensions in terms of litre and oil capacity and other useful features. You should try to shop by brand when you are buying a deep fryer.
There are a lot of brands out there but the ones stated above are those that made it to the top list due to their outstanding features so you don’t need to do the extra work or clean. You should consider to shop and buy a quality pro fryer and look for an affordable price from a popular and reliable online store with a good reputation for genuine reviews.
However, if you find that frying is a rare activity in your kitchen and doesn’t justify blowing up your budget, evaluate the price versus the benefit you’d get out of owning a deep fat fryer. In that situation, if you do opt to buy a new frying kitchen appliance, you’d probably be alright with a simple and basic chips fryer.
The size of the frying pot should ideally be big enough to accommodate your food, but not so big that you’re wasting plenty of oil. Shop for a smart model that has a roomy cold zone to keep oil cleaner. Clean up should not be excessive and cumbersome and this is where a dishwasher safe unit comes in handy.
Also, if it is mentioned that it is dishwasher safe, look at how many of the removable components of the whole machine are safe for dishwasher cleaning. A fryer basket with handles, timer, straining set of accessories, and instructions can be useful add-ons to check for. Alternatively, you could also look at new products and their review list.
Though have easy storage and are deep fat fryers with a temperature dial, some people find the taste of food made in deep fat fryers a little difficult to adjust to. Finally, make sure your deep fat fryer has a safety shut-off capacity and a current & desired digital temperature gauge.