How To Cook A Jacket Potato In A Combination Microwave Oven?
Want to cook a snack in the oven but not sure if you can? Learn how to make a tasty jacket potato in your combination microwave oven!
Cooking a jacket potato in a combination microwave oven can be done with a few steps. The potato must be washed and poked with a knife, cooked at the right temperature, and allowed to cool enough to eat.
Learn how to make your favourite snack in your combination microwave oven!
Read Next: How to clean your combination microwave.
How To Prepare A Jacket Potatoe Using A Combination Microwave Oven
A jacket potato is a potato that is cooked and eaten with the skin. The fun part for most is often the limitless toppings that go with a jacket potato. From melted cheese, ham, sauces to a pile of fried veggies, there is truly no stopping this snack.
But how do you cook on in a combination microwave oven? The simple steps can be seen in the following quick overview.
- The potato must be properly washed.
- Salt and pepper.
- Stab it slightly a few times.
- Cook the potato at the right temperature and time.
- Allow it to cool down slightly before serving.
Do you have a hankering for pizza instead? Learn how to make a pizza inside a combination microwave oven.
Wash That Potato Like You Mean It
The first step is to wash the potato well. This is essential to remove dirt, bacteria, and pesticides that might have remained behind from the farming process. That being said, be careful not to strip the skin or damage it by scrubbing the potato too hard. A jacket potato needs its skin after all!
Prepare The Potato
Preparing the jacket potato involves a few things.
- Take a sharp steak knife and poke the potato a few times. Don’t allow the knife to go through the potato otherwise, it will fall apart once cooked.
- Protect the potato from unnecessary exposure. You can do this by using either aluminium foil or a layer of olive oil.
Follow these easy steps if you want to know how to make a cheese and bacon toastie.
How To Cook The Jacket Potato
Now, let’s give the combination microwave oven something to do! For the most part, your job is over. Now it is time to cook the potato at the right temperature and the right duration of time.
- The first thing you need to do is to preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Carefully place the potato or potatoes inside the oven.
- Allow the food to cook for around five minutes.
- Get some towels or oven mitts and take them out.
- This step is entirely optional. Some people might want to avoid salt for health purposes while others are not pepper fans. But if you like either or both, then now’s the time to pull closer your salt and pepper shakers and season your potato.
- You can also add some more olive oil if you want.
- Place the potato on a baking rack or a cookie sheet and insert it back into the oven.
- Allow the meal to bake for another 10 to 20 minutes.
- Once this time is over, poke the potato again with a knife or fork and confirm that it can penetrate all the way to the middle of the potato. If the fork easily enters the potato with no resistance at all, then it means your baked potato is ready to serve.
You can also learn how to make a spam and bean toastie.
How To Add Toppings To Your Jacket Potato
There are two ways that you can add toppings to your jacket potato. Which one you pick depends on how you like your meal and whether it needs to be hot and melted. Let’s say you want some cream cheese. You can add this after the potato has been baked. However, most people will agree that baking the topping with the potato is the best way to go, producing a pizza-like feel and taste when there are bits of ham or other meat.
At the end of the day, it’s trial and error to see what produces the most delicious results! Hey, what other excuse do you need to eat another jacket potato? Wink wink.
If you feel like chips but lack the necessary equipment, learn how to make chips without a deep fat fryer.
Allow The Potato To Cool Before Serving
When cooked or baked, potatoes become extremely hot and unfortunately they retain that heat longer than most other foods. A lot of people get burnt this way. When we suggest a cooling-off period, it does not mean that you have to serve the jacket potato cold (although you can if you like that). Simply give it a minute or two to allow the potato to cool off to a level where it can be eaten without giving someone scorched lips. Kids are fond of jacket potatoes; so needless to say, one wants them to enjoy their meal safely.
Do you want to try something unusual? Learn how to make your own yoghurt inside a thermos flask.
A Quick Summary On How To Cook A Jacket Potato In A Combination Microwave Oven
- A jacket potato is a popular snack, side dish or even the main meal.
- These delicious potatoes can be cooked in a combination microwave oven.
- It is essential to properly wash the potato to clean the skin.
- Washing the skin should be thorough but gentle so as to not remove the skin.
- Before placing the potato in the oven, it needs to be slightly poked a few times with a knife.
- The oven must be preheated to roughly 200 degrees Celsius.
- The potato must be wrapped in foil or smeared with oil for extra protection.
- The potato must be baked for 20 to 30 minutes.
- The toppings can be baked with the potato or afterwards.
- To avoid getting burnt, allow the jacket potato to cool off a little.
Read Next: Is a hole in the microwave dangerous?