Top 2 Reasons Why A Mini Fridge Leaks Water
A leaking fridge is nobody’s favourite moment. We explain why this appliance might leak and how to fix the problem pronto!
When a mini fridge starts to leak, there is usually one of two things responsible. These reasons include a blocked defrost drain and a water supply that is either clogged or frozen.
A leaking mini fridge is not messy but also worrying. One might be concerned that the food inside is not being properly cooled and preserved. It is essential to identify the problem and fix it as soon as possible. Here’s how to troubleshoot your mini fridge.
Read Next: How to stock your mini-fridge.
So Why Does A Mini Fridge Leak Water?
You might be surprised to hear that a leaky fridge is a fairly common phenomenon. For this reason alone, you should not be too concerned that your food is in any danger of defrosting too much. If you spotted the leak early, then everything should be okay. But to be fair, once you notice that your fridge is leaking, it’s also not a good sign and the cause must be identified and dealt with as soon as possible.
Below are the two most common gremlins that mess with your mini fridge.
- The defrost drain is blocked.
- The water supply is also blocked or frozen.
Are you suffering the same problem with your electric kettle? Discover the top 3 reasons why an electric kettle is leaking and how to fix it.
How A Blocked Defrost Drain Leads To Leaking
A blocked drain is among the most common causes of a leaking mini fridge. But what causes this unhappy situation. Well, the defrost drain can be blocked by either food particles or other types of debris that ends up in the drain hose and packs together. The clogged hose then starts to gather ice which eventually melts. This melting is the leaking that you see dripping from the freezer.
How Do I Fix A Blocked Defrost Drain?
There are a couple of things you need to do to fix a blocked defrost drain.
- First, you need to flush the drain from inside the freezer. Use warm water, a turkey baster or a small funnel.
- If this does not work, you can use a straightened coat hanger or a pipe cleaner to force the clog out. If the clog is a minor one, this fix should be enough.
- However, if it does not work, you can remove the debris from the check valve at the end of the drain hose by hand. To do this, you will have to pull the refrigerator away from the wall and locate the defrost drain hose in the service panel. Remember to clean the rubber check valve at the drain hose as well.
Noticing more water around the kitchen floor? Discover the top 3 reasons why your kitchen floor is wet and how to fix it.
How A Clogged Or Frozen Water Supply Leads To Leaking
This is another common problem that causes a mini fridge to leak. This type of problem is a little bit more serious and complicated. Not only does it cause leaking but it also affects the ice maker’s ability to produce ice in the normal way as well as inhibiting the flow of water from the dispenser. Needless to say, if this is your situation, you need to look to a more detailed solution to overcome the problem.
Is your fridge a little too frosty? Here are 7 ways to remove ice from the back of your fridge.
How Do I Fix A Clogged Or Frozen Water Supply?
The first thing that you need to do is to locate the shutoff valve and make sure that it is turned off. Once you have done that, you can go ahead and inspect the water supply for leaks, clogs, and kinks. Sometimes, the fix is quite easy. There might just be a tiny kink or a small blockage that takes two seconds to remove or bend back the way it should be. However, things are not always that easy when it comes to a water supply that is blocked or frozen.
Sometimes, the blockage or ice have already done too much damage and the system has a break or breaks in different locations. Unfortunately, when you notice any breaks in the line, the whole water supply must be replaced.
If you would rather just get a new mini fridge, we have you covered. These are the best mini fridges on the market today. We reviewed each one for quality and performance.
DIY Or Expert?
Calling an expert to deal with a leaking fridge saves you time and a lot of frustration (if you do not have a lot of experience with fixing large appliances). But fixing the fridge yourself saves money. Either way, you need to decide which is the best for you. If you are an avid DIY person, always remember that you need to be cautious around any electrical appliance to avoid electrocution.
A Quick Summary On Why A Mini Fridge Is Leaking
- Mini fridges are valuable appliances and leaking might cause alarm and worry that the fridge is breaking.
- The good news is that a leaky fridge is fairly common and in most cases, easy to fix.
- The top two reasons why mini fridges tend to leak are a blocked defrost drain and the water supply might also be blocked or frozen.
- A blocked defrost drain is easy to fix. Using the right tools, the blockage can be removed at home.
- A blocked or frozen defrost drain can also be unblocked at home.
- However, when a defrost drain shows damage, such as breaks, then the entire water supply line must be replaced.
- Fixing a leaking mini fridge by yourself saves you money.
- Allowing an expert electrician or plumber to fix the leaking fridge can save you time and mistakes.
- Caution must always be practised when attempting to fix a leaking mini fridge. As with all electrical appliances, the risk of electrocution is a real one.